Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL1200S Riders... 2-1 exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 AM
beatmasterspeech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL1200S Riders... 2-1 exhaust options?

Hey fellow Sportster "sport" riders... (if ya'll are out there)...

i'm running a supertrapp 2-to-1 megaphone exhaust which dumps a significant boost of horsepower to my flywheel. Also have screaming eagle upgrade with heads, pistons, cams & rings... My problem is, i'd like to either mess with the number discs in the exhaust to make it a bit more "harley" sounding down low OR does anyone know of any other exhaust that keep the same level of hp but sound more throaty?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try installing an open end cap

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 AM
PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Advanced

Your chasing something you already have. Depending on your personal preference removing or adding defuser disks raises either torque or horsepower. Reads like u have about the finest assembly of se components that you can massage your mill with. If you've dynotuned 4 correct AF & balance T&HP with the disks your there brother. The sound of your machine is subjective. If you know someone you trust go out somewhere & have them ride by you on your bike. I'll bet it sounds pretty bad ***. Also try riding with custom hearing protection that alone may put the bass in your note. I traded my 01XL1200S in 4 my SG the guy that bought it is Air Force and shipped it to England, still registered last time I checked sure would love 2 have that machine back someday again. Have fun & ridesafe

Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
beatmasterspeech
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Your chasing something you already have. Depending on your personal preference removing or adding defuser disks raises either torque or horsepower. Reads like u have about the finest assembly of se components that you can massage your mill with. If you've dynotuned 4 correct AF & balance T&HP with the disks your there brother. The sound of your machine is subjective. If you know someone you trust go out somewhere & have them ride by you on your bike. I'll bet it sounds pretty bad ***. Also try riding with custom hearing protection that alone may put the bass in your note. I traded my 01XL1200S in 4 my SG the guy that bought it is Air Force and shipped it to England, still registered last time I checked sure would love 2 have that machine back someday again. Have fun & ridesafe
thanks man! i think i need to save up to have it dynotuned again... the last time that was done was with the previous owner and he passed along the info word of mouth to me (and i think he had it tuned while heat wrapped), although i'm sure he's a stand up guy and all, i'd like to see the results myself. I should try having someone else cruise by me on the bike to hear it... good call.

Racing Jake... an open end cap? if i was to do that, wouldn't i still have to remove some discs to 'keep' the same level of T&HP? I guess if i'm too worried of loosing any power on the bike i should just leave well enough alone huh?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM
RacingJake
Tourer

Just remove the screws and remove the closed end cap and install an open end cap. An open end cap is equal to about 10-12 disks so if you have "say" 20 disks with a closed cap you can remove 10 disks with a open end cap and flow should be about the same.

Here's what it looks like

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
beatmasterspeech
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RacingJake
Just remove the screws and remove the closed end cap and install an open end cap. An open end cap is equal to about 10-12 disks so if you have "say" 20 disks with a closed cap you can remove 10 disks with a open end cap and flow should be about the same.

hey jake,

i'm gonna screw around with the exhaust this weekend and search out an open end cap. In the meantime, if i was to take off the closed end cap today and drive around to see if i notice a significant difference.... say there is a noticable difference, can i just put the closed end cap back and all will return to it was before? I know these exhaust work off the backpressure but i'm curious to go without and see although i want the option of returning it to normal as easy as possible. thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
RacingJake
Tourer

That should work, it will be alot louder with no endcap. Maybe some fine tuning on the carb if left that way but for a quick test go for it.

Just remove all the disks if your not going to re-install the bolts and go for a spin and see how she sounds.