Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal relocation instructions Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turn Signal relocation instructions Nightster

Hey guys just got done doing this to my Nighty and wanted to share some tips and instructions etc.

I am using the HD kit.

First off....DO NOT CUT THE TURN SIGNAL WIRES

You dont have to with the kit for the Nightster.
Out of the supplied parts in the kit you will only need to use the signal hangers, 2 long torx bolts, 2 short allen head bots, and the zip ties.

First thing i did was to loosen the allen screws holding in the stock turn signal on the bike. The signal will just come loose let it hang down and then cut the ties holding the signal cable to the handlebar.

You will find that the wiring goes in behind the headlight and YES you will have to remove the upper headlight bolt if you want a clean run on your wirring. I left one of the two bolts in on the side I wasn't working on and took the bolt completely out on the side I was working on....this allowed me to swing the headlight housing out enough to route the wirring behind the light.
On the brake handle side I found that the brake hose was too tight to bring the signal housing through the cables.
What i did was to take off the small brake line bolt on the back side of the triple tree to allow me to route it through that way and not stress or potentially break the brake hose.

I removed the fork pinch bolts only one at a time (whichever side I was working on) for obvious reasons.
Take the long torx bolt supplied in the kit and use it in place of the stock torx pinch bolt.
Take the small hex bolt and drop it through the hole on the new turn signal hanger I used a long allen wrench, a long Thandle allen wrench would be preffered.
I used a breaker bar on the small end of the allen wrench to get enough leverage to tighten the bolt down enough.
once the turn signal is attached to the new turn signal hanger put in the longer supplied torx head bolt in and thats it.
repeat on the other side.

It's really fairly easy....I am investing in some damn good torx bolts though I am sick of them rounding off and not getting good enough bite.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
wingnutks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
Hey guys just got done doing this to my Nighty and wanted to share some tips and instructions etc.

I am using the HD kit.

First off....DO NOT CUT THE TURN SIGNAL WIRES

You dont have to with the kit for the Nightster.
Out of the supplied parts in the kit you will only need to use the signal hangers, 2 long torx bolts, 2 short allen head bots, and the zip ties.

First thing i did was to loosen the allen screws holding in the stock turn signal on the bike. The signal will just come loose let it hang down and then cut the ties holding the signal cable to the handlebar.

You will find that the wiring goes in behind the headlight and YES you will have to remove the upper headlight bolt if you want a clean run on your wirring. I left one of the two bolts in on the side I wasn't working on and took the bolt completely out on the side I was working on....this allowed me to swing the headlight housing out enough to route the wirring behind the light.
On the brake handle side I found that the brake hose was too tight to bring the signal housing through the cables.
What i did was to take off the small brake line bolt on the back side of the triple tree to allow me to route it through that way and not stress or potentially break the brake hose.

I removed the fork pinch bolts only one at a time (whichever side I was working on) for obvious reasons.
Take the long torx bolt supplied in the kit and use it in place of the stock torx pinch bolt.
Take the small hex bolt and drop it through the hole on the new turn signal hanger I used a long allen wrench, a long Thandle allen wrench would be preffered.
I used a breaker bar on the small end of the allen wrench to get enough leverage to tighten the bolt down enough.
once the turn signal is attached to the new turn signal hanger put in the longer supplied torx head bolt in and thats it.
repeat on the other side.

It's really fairly easy....I am investing in some damn good torx bolts though I am sick of them rounding off and not getting good enough bite.

Hope this helps someone.
If you're talking about the pinch bolt, go easy on it, its only 30-35 ft/lbs

Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

No I was talking about the actual bolt that hols the turn signal on to the new hanger.
I used an allen wrench and had to drop the stright end hown into the housing to get to the short bolt which only left the small angled end of the allen wrench sticking out to turn it was difficult and I couldnt get it tight enough with my fingers so i used the breaker bar just for leverage to get the bolt tight enough

Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Mookster
Novice

do u have pics? do u relocate to the top pinch bolt or the bottom one? i just bought this kit too... and was surprised to see wiring with it... i dont see any reason to be cutting any wires. im not sure i like the the look... they look like htey may stick out kind of far from the tree. I was hoping it would be a kit where they attach to the actual fork tube, and dont stick out at all....

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

I dont have any pics yet.
It looks better than you would think tho, i fealt the same way but its not bad at all.
I mounted mine to the lower tree....I thought about doing the top but decided on the bottom since i will be adding drag bars real soon and didnt want it to take away from that look.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
bikerguy76
Advanced

It's super easy and takes about all of 10min. I did my 2010 Iron and I did my 08 Nightster. You can put your turn signals either on the top or the bottom of the tripple tree. There is nothing that needs re wired or anything like that. Get a set of Allen sockets they're the easiest thing to use to tighten down the inside bolt that holds the light and put locktight on the bolts and really tighten em cause if they are not really tight they will come loose on you. Cheap buy and really, really easy for a good lookin mod!!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
wingnutks
Advanced

what is the part number?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
MokeyJoe
Cruiser

Ijust ordered one the other day as well for my iron. The part # is 68643-09 for the gloss black and 68517-94A for the chrome.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser

I think the HD ones stick out too far. Looks goofy, and yes I have seen more than a few bikes with it. The 48 brackets are awesome but wont fit anything but a 48 without grinding them down, you also would need to replace the signal housings to make it look good.

Drag Spec. has a nice kit but it's only available in chrome and would require powder coating. I'm undecided on what I want to do at this point. All three options have their drawbacks.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wingnutks
If you're talking about the pinch bolt, go easy on it, its only 30-35 ft/lbs
He's not, I believe he is talking about the screw that holds the turn signal itself onto the fork mount adapter. It is a small opening, when I did my conversion a standard socket type 3/8" allen wrench would not fit all the way in, and I suspect the OP is describing the same.

What I did was get it as tight as I could by hand using a screwdriver style allen wrench, and used a good bit of locktite on it instead of a "breaker bar" (didn't even think of that).

To the OP, in the thread just a few days ago where I described my install of the same thing, someone else posted a pic of two of the same adapters that had cracked over two years' time. Torquing down on yours isn't going to help with that. Go easy!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal relocation instructions Nightster