Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Guys you ever run octane boost or mixed race fuel in with your pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

pococj speaks the truth,,,
Knowledge Is Power !

Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
scumbucket
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 10% will make it a little lean. i put pure gas in my nightster last week for the first time. had it for two months. And it ran better. It seemed to be on the edge of being lean. bone stock. with the mufflers drilled 5/8. cleaned up most of the low end surge.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 AM
scumbucket
Advanced

A friend of mine has a mid 90s 1200. With a big bore, cams and carb. He ran a 7.40 last week. He has ran it a bunch. I think that is pretty hot for a street bike.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
The higher the octane, the slower the burn. Will your ignition system compensate for that slower burn by advancing the timing far enough? If not, then any performance advantage is lost, and you get increased buildup in the combustion chamber.

Methinks most people over-think this stuff. Run the gas the mfg suggests, and don't worry about it. If the engine runs "funny" then find out if you got some bad gas, or find out what is wrong with your bike. The 10% ethanol in your HD will do one thing - reduce your gas mileage ever so slightly. Most will never notice the difference because their riding isn't so regular that a meaningful comparison can be made. And the effects of ethanol on moisture in a tank are pretty over-rated in a 3 gallon tank that gets filled every day.

And BTW, I run 89 octane in my Nighty. It has never pinged, even with my 240# hammering on it in 100+ temperatures. It loves 80 - 90 mph cruising, and gets anywhere between 41 and 50 mpg, depending on average speed and conditions.
pococj,

let me rephrase the question a bit: I was on a 3 week bike tour through some remote parts, and on more than one occasion when I stopped for fuel they were either out of the high octane fuel, their pump was broken, or they simply didn't have any pumps for the high octane fuel. Going to another station wasn't an option, because they were the only stations around for miles. If you are forced by circumstances to run standard octane unleaded fuel, will adding a packet of one of these "octane boosters" to the tank prevent damage to the engine? Or is one or two tanks of standard (lower octane) fuel not likely to cause any damage?

(I didn't buy the octane booster when I could have, and later - when forced to use low-octane ethanol-'enhanced' gasoline - wondered whether I should have...)

Thanks,

Doc

Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

as long as it doesnt ping you can run 87 all day.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
pococj,

let me rephrase the question a bit: I was on a 3 week bike tour through some remote parts, and on more than one occasion when I stopped for fuel they were either out of the high octane fuel, their pump was broken, or they simply didn't have any pumps for the high octane fuel. Going to another station wasn't an option, because they were the only stations around for miles. If you are forced by circumstances to run standard octane unleaded fuel, will adding a packet of one of these "octane boosters" to the tank prevent damage to the engine? Or is one or two tanks of standard (lower octane) fuel not likely to cause any damage?

(I didn't buy the octane booster when I could have, and later - when forced to use low-octane ethanol-'enhanced' gasoline - wondered whether I should have...)

Thanks,

Doc
With the new bikes and all the fancy electronics, the timing will advance to the point knock starts, then back off to just before that point. That said, if you can't get the premium and have to run mid or even low, don't worry about it. If you accelerate and hear it pinging, simply back off the throttle a bit until the pinging stops. Unless you repeatedly hammer on the throttle and cause the pinging without trying to ease off, you're not going to hurt anything, especially only running a tankful or so when forced to do so.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am one of those ethanol bashers, when I was forced to use ethanol gas in my Ford F-150 it lost 4 mpg going from 18 to 14, my wifes Saturn SCII went from 33 to 28. Now each gallon of fuel takes about 14.5 times that of air to burn it. It makes more sense to me to use fuel that gets more mpg and spare that precious air from going through the engine and getting polluted. I am not Greenie by any stretch of the imagination but some things just make common sense.
PS, I do run the Shell 93 in my 2007 1200C now with 13,200 miles on it and it only pings when I get a little quick with the clutch.

Attached Thumbnails Hey Guys you ever run octane boost or mixed race fuel in with your pump gas?-bagger-small-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer
Default Ethanol fuel, (Octane Boost and Race Fuel)

I ride 1000 miles a month year around on my harley. I also have another bike that is 20 yrs old I ride it during the colder weather and after the rodes get salt on them and it runs like crap on ethanol fuel. I notice a diffrence in gas mileage in my bikes and my wifes car. NoT a basher just not impressed with ethanol gas. I had octanes boost on my mind because i was told that it help balance the ethanol what ever that means. the source that told me has never steared me wrong and i ride enough that i notice my bike runs alot better on fuel without ethanol. The thread was on octane boost and race fuel but thanks for your posts. Im glad we all can express our opinions and not be ugly about it. You guys have some good and interesting posts.

Attached Thumbnails Hey Guys you ever run octane boost or mixed race fuel in with your pump gas?-101_0742.jpg   Hey Guys you ever run octane boost or mixed race fuel in with your pump gas?-101_1366.jpg   Hey Guys you ever run octane boost or mixed race fuel in with your pump gas?-101_1223.jpg  

Last edited by 2010IRON883; 09-26-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Doug Bromley
Cruiser

I run half a can of 108 octane booster with 91 octane in my 2010 Wide Glide it stops the pinging and makes it more resonsive and revs faster and runs better at all RMPs. It definatly makes more power and as soon and you let it run out and go back to straight 91 it pings again and power is down pour in half a can and right back to better performance and no pinging so I would say on some bikes it does work. I have V&H pipes and Screming Egale intake and NGK plugs and MSD wires and Red Line lube kit and the air sucks hear in AZ its been hot like over a 100 when it gets cooler should not need the use any booster but its only $9.00 a can and get two tanks out of it so I dont mind. So it really is all about the tune and where you live and what bike and what mods you have some bikes dont need anymore octane and some do. All I know is my Wide Glide loves it.