Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green slime and the Nightster tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

in addition, I will be looking to get rid of these spoked wheels.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

interesting. I run a lot of slime on both tires on my FXDC (spoked wheels, slime in the tubes) and never noticed anything wrong, even going as fast as 100mph sometimes, already saved my ***, found once the rear completely flat in one morning with a huge nail on it - no blowout, did not even notice it in the ride home. Removed wheel and took to a shop to replace the tube, re-applied slime and pronto.

No slime for the sportie and it's cast wheels tough, don't think it's needed.

cheers

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I'd suggest that you go back and re-read, as that isn't what it says.
Re-read what?
I couldn't find "45 mph" anywhere, and I can read at a fourth grade level.
I'm willing to be proven wrong but just saying it doesn't make it true.

I finally found this:

It's on this page(http://www.slime.com/how_much_slime.html) where you can see how much is recommended for MOTORCYCLE tires.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Re-read what?
This:
http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1441 & http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1381

This FAQ response says it's okay in 'Z' rated tires: http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1441
It doesn't say that it's "okay" to go high speed in z rated tires full of Slime. What it says is that it can be used temporarily, and as a repair, in z rated tires. Granted that z rated tires are for high speed, that doesn't mean that you can use them at that speed once you add Slime. Slime specifically says that you cannot.

Here they say it MIGHT cause balance problems in high speed applications so put it in the rear only: http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1381
On this page, they are specifically talking about cars, not motorcycles, and rear balance is less of an issue. Even so, it doesn't say "might," it says "could," which is lawyerese for "generally will."

It is specifically mentioned as a "repair," not a "preventative."

They don't say what high speed is but the product is sold as a flat preventative and nowhere on their website could I find a restriction to 45 mph. I bet if there were such a restriction it would be in big bold letters on every page.
It is only intended as a preventative in non-balanced applications (trailers, lawn mowers, garden tractors, etc. In balanced applications (motorcycle and automotive tires), it is a temporary repair.

They used to restrict it to 45 mph. Seemingly, and quite intelligently, they now don't list a speed, thus preventing lawsuits when some idiot uses it inappropriately.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a bike jack, I use a cheap floor jack.
You can get tubes at motorcycle stores, the super heavy duty ones cost about $16.00.
Tire irons, baby powder for the tube, a tire pump, and you are good to go.

You can static balance a tire, but I never bothered, and never had problems.

You can also patch a tube, I used to do it all the time in the old days.
Rode cross country (9000 miles) and half of it was with patched tubes.

When bikes had center stands, you could do it on the side of the road in about 1/2 an hour.

My sportster has mags, so I can plug a tire, the dual sport bike has tubes, and I already changed the tires...

In the old days, bikers would not even think about going someplace to have a tire changed.

Harley and not much money, you better learn to do a LOT of things....

Brett

Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

Yeah, thats what I am figuring out Bret....I figured after all these years Harley would have gotten more dependable...lol
Granted a flat tire happens on all bikes.
I am putting together a tool kit as i work on the bike....so far I have done all the work myself and haven't found anything so far that I can not do myself.
after I get this sorted out I am going to start back changing things per personal desires.
I have been searching for jacks now that i found that the jack i was looking at is too high to fit under my bike.
I guess I could run the tires up on 1 inch boards and make it work, but that would be a PITA to have to do all the time.
I found a Larin MAL-2C that will do the job without any rigging but man its pricey.
Looks like I will be needing one a LOT so I may just have to spring for it.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

p.s. I am of the camp that also wishes bikes still had center stands

Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Even so, it doesn't say "might," it says "could," which is lawyerese for "generally will."

It is specifically mentioned as a "repair," not a "preventative."
Could is a synonym for might. They both indicate possibility, not a specific likelihood.
could |koŏd|
modal verb
past of can 1 .
• used to indicate possibility : they could be right | I would go if I could afford it.
• used in making polite requests : could I use the phone?
• used in making suggestions : you could always phone him.
• used to indicate annoyance because of something that has not been done : they could have told me!
• used to indicate a strong inclination to do something : he irritates me so much that I could scream.
might 1 |mīt|
modal verb ( 3rd sing. present might )
1 past of may 1 , used esp.:
• in reported speech, expressing possibility or permission : he said he might be late.
• expressing a possibility based on a condition not fulfilled : we might have won if we'd played better.
• expressing annoyance about something that someone has not done : you might have told me!
• expressing purpose : he avoided social engagements so that he might work.
2 used in questions and requests
• tentatively asking permission : might I ask one question?
• expressing a polite request : you might just call me Jane, if you don't mind.
• asking for information, esp. condescendingly : and who might you be?
3 expressing possibility : this might be true.
• making a suggestion : you might try nonprescription pain relievers.
It is sold as a prophylactic substance to prevent flats. It is also mentioned as a repair, which is what the OP was trying to do. You seem to think this product only functions safely in lawn tractors and wheelbarrows despite the manufacturers insistence to the contrary.

They say that it is okay in a 'Z' rated tire but they don't say to keep your speed below 45 mph. Maybe you missed the image suggesting a maximum speed of 65 mph. Maybe you missed the other posters who have safely used the product at much higher speeds.

I can see I won't convince you of anything since you read their information differently than I do.

(In case anyone is wondering, I'm not affiliated in any way with Slime and I don't use it.)

Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
I found a Larin MAL-2C that will do the job without any rigging but man its pricey.
Billy...I have a Larin jack that fits under my sporty, and my bikes probably lower than yours with my 10" shocks without using the wood blocks under the tires. I can't remember the model #, but it's the red one. It works just fine.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

I would be curious to know the model # on that jack.
The other Larin jacks I have seen are 5in at lowest point....my bike is 3.25in on the stand
I am thinking I will just have to put the wheels and jiffy on wood to get the bike in the air a bit and use a regular (non low profile) jack.

Quick Reply: Green slime and the Nightster tire