Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green slime and the Nightster tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use a rachet strap over a garage/basement beam or even a tree branch outside to lift the front or back end off the ground if you insist on being cheap. Then have the tube replaced, as they are cheap enough, and you'll need to find out why the tube leaks......Is it leaking because of a nail/screw in the tire, or is one of the spoke nuts rubbing through the tube?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howzit

Use the jiggle method for a jack,get some blocks of wood,wedge under right hand side under frame .lift the bike sideways onto blocks then slide in blocks on left... tilt and stack until your front wheel is clear.
When you lower it again get someone to slide out the blocks,as you tilt
."I have done it singlehanded"but a helping hand works wonders.
Spend the bucks on the new tyre instead.H

Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
DFsporty
Cruiser

Just went through this same situation. I pulled the tire myself and Harley quoted me like 50 bucks or so to change the tube. I ended up taking it somewhere else and cost 37 bucks.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Try the slime. It's made for this purpose. You can ride the bike and see if there are any problems and report back. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work. It won't cause balance problems because it stays liquid inside the tube.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

First off....its not that I WANT to be cheap, but rather i am disabled and have very little to work with as it is.
Now that that is out of the way....
In my previous post I stated that I found a local used jack for 50.00
so i will have that covered.
I plan on pulling the tire and changing the tube myself for two reasons.
1. I refuse to let Harley get any more of my money
2. It's always good to work on your own bike if possible.

Anyone know an alternate national vendor that would have a brick and mortor place I can walk into and buy a tube and tire band?
I would rather do that then buy online as to cut my down time.

Thanks for the help, many great suggestions, i realy like the home made jack idea, i would have done that if I hadn't found a good deal on a used one.
Also the slime doesnt recommend using it for over 45mph so thats why I nix'd that idea. I was concerned about the high speed wobble it may have caused too.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
First off....its not that I WANT to be cheap, but rather i am disabled and have very little to work with as it is.
Now that that is out of the way....
In my previous post I stated that I found a local used jack for 50.00
so i will have that covered.
I plan on pulling the tire and changing the tube myself for two reasons.
1. I refuse to let Harley get any more of my money
2. It's always good to work on your own bike if possible.

Anyone know an alternate national vendor that would have a brick and mortor place I can walk into and buy a tube and tire band?
I would rather do that then buy online as to cut my down time.

Thanks for the help, many great suggestions, i realy like the home made jack idea, i would have done that if I hadn't found a good deal on a used one.
Also the slime doesnt recommend using it for over 45mph so thats why I nix'd that idea. I was concerned about the high speed wobble it may have caused too.
The slime will find its way out of the tube and then it will come out every spoke nipple and you will have one hell of a mess and a flat tire.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Try the slime. It's made for this purpose. You can ride the bike and see if there are any problems and report back. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work. It won't cause balance problems because it stays liquid inside the tube.
Really bad advice. Slime is NOT made for this purpose. It is made for low-speed applications only, and WILL cause balance problems in high-speed applications such as motorcycles.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Really bad advice. Slime is NOT made for this purpose. It is made for low-speed applications only, and WILL cause balance problems in high-speed applications such as motorcycles.
This FAQ response says it's okay in 'Z' rated tires: http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1441

Here they say it MIGHT cause balance problems in high speed applications so put it in the rear only: http://www.slime.com/faq.html#answer_1381

They don't say what high speed is but the product is sold as a flat preventative and nowhere on their website could I find a restriction to 45 mph. I bet if there were such a restriction it would be in big bold letters on every page.

I wouldn't use because it's probably messier than just fixing the flat, but I'll stand by what I said. I see the OP is going to replace the tube anyway.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM

I'd suggest that you go back and re-read, as that isn't what it says.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Tire Slime in my rear tire all the time, as a preventative measure. I travel 100+ miles 5 days a week at speeds as high as 110 mph. I've never had any high speed problems caused by Slime. If you use Slime in the front tire, it will cause serious balancing problems at speeds above 45mph and is not recommended by the manufacturer. If the damage is on the outer edge or side wall of the tire Slim will not work. If the damage was caused by the spokes rubbing, Slime will not work. Tire Slime for motorcycles is only a quick fix for short term use. A proper "T" patch (on tubeless) or new inner tube should be used for permanent repairs.

Quick Reply: Green slime and the Nightster tire