Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got smoked by a CBR 750

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
My best response would be: "So????"

If you want to be a pretend racer, you should have gotten a pretend racing bike and matching multi-color leather suit.

If you bought a Harley to race against sportbikes, it says more about your knowledge than about Harley. If I buy a 30-06 rifle for bird hunting and then can't kill any birds, while my buddy gets a bag full with a $250 shotgun, that doesn't mean my rifle sucks or a need better sights - that means I didn't pick the right tool for my purpose. My rifle may still be bettter quality and worth more than the shotgun, but that doesn't make it a bird gun.
the difference is: if you go to a gun dealer and tell them you want a 30-06 for shooting tree rats, he'll explain why you're making a poor choice and help you find the right shotgun.

whereas, if a newb goes into an hd shop wanting to buy a new personality the dealer will sell him a bike without thinking twice.

its a bit normal for someone to buy a new motorcycle without understanding the difference in bikes. hd has no problem vulching these ill-informed consumers.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whapworth
seem to have provoked a lot of thought with this one.

no doubt that my sporty is still infinitely better sounding and looking than 90% of what i see out there, i love it, and everyone else does too and has questions about it and wants to know more.

just why is harley still waiting 35 years to come out with a more powerful line of engines???

I know everyone on here would be happy to see it, it's no coincidence that all the harley enthusiast on this forum dump all sorts of money into their bikes to strip the crappy stock parts away and get some more hp and tq and handling... I've now spent more time and and money than i should have to get my stock bike running and looking right (but it has no doubt been fun turning thy wrench)

just think harley should step up their baseline a bit and stop incorporating all the goodwill of their brand into the price of the bikes. I mean pound for pound the essential stock parts coming off a stripped ricer are much hire quality and worth a lot more than those from a baseline sportster.

anyone know what it would actually cost to build up a sportster from stock parts relative to comparable crotch rocket of choice? useless exercise...likely, but may just show what percentage of our bank accnts are actually paying Harley for their name

i still love'm, don't write me off
Well, because that's not why people buy Harleys. I knew getting into it that my Nightster wouldn't have the same pep as a sport bike. I bought it for a style and look that I like. I bought it to be a little more comfortable than I was on my CBR.

The funniest thing I remember seeing when I walked into the HD dealership is the "100HP" club. I thought to myself, really?! Same reason people are buying retro Camaros and Mustangs. Want a little old school class? Buy a Harley. Want fast? Buy a Ducati.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Crotch Rocket weighs less, has higher RPM to wind out and geared to rip....

Stock HD will never keep up with a crotch rocket, just not designed to...... Even HD with work will typically have a tough time. Rice Burn Rockets are made with higher center of gravity, lighter and made to wind to 11k rpm.....

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
whapworth
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

knew what i was getting into with my sportster, paint me an idiot if you want though. never thought it would be a crotch rocket killer, and knew in my heart of hearts that the cbr would make me look silly...still had to give it a go though maybe i could just launch my bike better (which i did for the first 100 yards before he hit his powerband...forgive me for being a Type A male (90% of this forum)

point i'm making, i think, is that if harley made their bikes as cool looking/sounding as they do and also had the added benefit of really moose coming out of their stock engines (at least somewhat competitive with jap bikes), harley owners wouldn't say "no, go back"...that's all.

I think most people here would like to see some more juice out of their sporty engines without having to dump hoards of money in, or we wouldn't be 80+ posts deep at this point.

harley + serious HP and TQ + American classic image = vanish any lingering notions of jap bikes...would be a mute discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use me as an example. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I bought my Sportster. I proceeded to dump thousands into my drivetrain-something I gravely regret now but wtf. Sure, I probably have one of the fastest Harleys around but that and a buck will get me a Diet Coke. I have more in motor upgrades alone than the cost of my FZ1. I learned a pretty expensive lesson. I still love my Sportster though. When I think I want to sell it, I ride it and all that goes away.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I used to have a KZ750 Kaw and smoked HD's daily. Got to be boring, and sometimes I'd let them get ahead just so I could see their faces as I blew past them....lol

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My modified WideGlide is very quick for a Harley (putting out right at 100 horsepower to the rear wheel and over 100 pounds of torque, while only weighing about 60 pound more than my 1200C), but even so it is no match for 99.9% of the 650cc or larger sports bikes on the road.

If you are looking for fast high power machine you need to look at something other than a Harley.

Harley's are made to be long range cruisers that will take you down the road in style for hours on end.

As the old saying goes;

"Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower"....

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by whapworth
...just why is harley still waiting 35 years to come out with a more powerful line of engines???
That's not what they're all about. They build cruisers. For cruising. Not racing.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
wingnutks
Advanced

Originally Posted by brenn
My best response would be: "So????"

If you want to be a pretend racer, you should have gotten a pretend racing bike and matching multi-color leather suit.
What if I own one and actually race it... would that make the bike slightly less gay?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
aqajr
Intermediate

What makes matters worse is that there is no CBR 750. You were probably up against a 600.
Don't play the speed game with a sportbike. It's like entering an elephant in cheetah races.
Disclaimer: I have both a Road King and a CBR 1000RR

Quick Reply: Got smoked by a CBR 750