Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got smoked by a CBR 750

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
url8
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdltmc3
gearing and weight.

Originally Posted by 83XLX
...and horsepower.

Originally Posted by inswva
****, even a late 80's CBR 750 is a full 100lb lighter and packing 30+ more HP.

UH......how about technology for heavens sakes. You guys have some nice rides there but ANY late model sport bike is going to play havoc on you. You’re riding a antiquated piece of machinery there....sorry.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

My OL on her mostly stock '04 1200 lined up with a 600. I guess he couldn't say no 'cause when the light turned green they both nailed it. She brought her front tire off the ground and had him for about 75 feet then it was all over.
Funny as hell.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
whapworth
Advanced

yeah, how the hell do they squeeze that much horsepower out of the smaller displacement engines? and the redlines at 14K, wtf?

just pisses me off, that's all, still love the harley but makes me think a bit more about getting another horse in the stable...

if i did, should i be worried that i'd spend all my time on the crotcher with all its nice amenities?

anybody got a sportster that'll give one of those ricers a run for its money? or thoughts on how to significantly lighten up my sporty?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
whapworth
Advanced

and it was just a 750...

funny the number of responses this stirred in 20 minutes...must of struck a nerve.

what's keeping harley from building engines that will compete? just tradition and image?

isn't barger quoted saying that the HA's should have adopted the sport bikes long ago?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

[QUOTE=whapworth;7310114]anybody got a sportster that'll give one of those ricers a run for its money? QUOTE]

This should do the trick.

Attached Thumbnails Got smoked by a CBR 750-dsc01115b.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
rckelley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, much more torque and horsepower than a sporty! second, wtf did you think was gonna happen against a crotch rocket? you didn't seriously think you actually had a chance did you? here's a hint, harley are cruiser bikes for a reason, to cruise not race crotch rockets, pop wheelies, and then whine about how you got beat and wonder why. lol

just switch to a crotch rocket!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Bear_925
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
A sport bike will always smoke a Harley. Period.
I have to disagree, I'd say most of the time yeah, but I've also seen Andrew Hines beat his fair share of imports on his harley. But on the street...no question i guess.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by whapworth
yeah, how the hell do they squeeze that much horsepower out of the smaller displacement engines? and the redlines at 14K, wtf?

just pisses me off, that's all, still love the harley but makes me think a bit more about getting another horse in the stable...

if i did, should i be worried that i'd spend all my time on the crotcher with all its nice amenities?

anybody got a sportster that'll give one of those ricers a run for its money? or thoughts on how to significantly lighten up my sporty?

A modern, 125cc dirt bike like a KTM puts out something quite close to 40 HP. Of course, torque near idle is probably measured in inch-pounds. Nevertheless, my 1,584 cc stock V Twin puts out what, about 65 HP? And that's with about 12.67 times the displacement! So a mid sized, multi-cylinder engine designed to make horsepower will do just that.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

off the line last night, pissed me off, just wanted to throw it out there.

wtf, how does a bike with a little over half the displacement absolutely torch what i thought was a pretty quick sporty?

why doesn't harley come out with a more bitchn stock engine or shave some weight here and there.

i'll stop my gripe, and no i don't want to "just change to a crotch rocket"
It might be faster, but that's not why I ride a Harley. Park yours next to a similar sport bike and sit on it outside of a Starbucks' and see which bike gets the girls' attention. Not even close!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Shags
Cruiser

what's keeping harley from building engines that will compete? just tradition and image?
Pretty much.

Quick Reply: Got smoked by a CBR 750