Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Housing Kit - 1200C

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
gman33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch Housing Kit - 1200C

Hi All

Wanted to change my stock black switch housing with the chrome HD#70222-96B and was just wondering if this is difficult to perform? Any advice? Is this a DIY job or should I spend the extra $100+ to have the dealer do it?

Thank you!!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Piece of cake.
Hold your brake lever back with a strap or rubberband before you do anything. This prevents the brakelight switch from damage. After you have the switch cover off you'll see what's up and can procede accordingly. Be carefull with the little brass barrels at the ends of the throttle cables. They tend to disappear into thin air. After the cables are off the grip, pull straight out on them to remove them from the housing. You might want to have some tiny zip-ties and Loctite on hand. A service manual comes in handy, too (torque specs).
Enjoy.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 09-17-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: nunya
Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Do it yourself. A couple of screws and that is it!

Drew

Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
gman33
Cruiser

Thank you both...so no worries about throttle adjustments needed? Didn't think so since it was just a swap....well I guess I will try this swap this WE....thanks again!!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

great to do the work yourself get a decent set of torx drivers,the cheapes tend to strip.I got the rubber grip dual T-bar type with heads on the long and the short so you can get leverage as well as appliying downward pressure.Good luck

Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
gman33
Cruiser

Thanks Steeler for the info....I have a set so I should be good. Well I couldn't wait and started on the left side...the directions suck that come with the package....too dark to see...the website has better PDF. Anyway, I also got the chrome replacement switches as well....those are a PITA to get on...have the top part done and screwed back in....but need to get back to work!! LOL

Thanks again!!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait, the '06 1200 Customs came with chrome switch housings to begin with. Yours must have been changed to black somewhere along the line.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Piece of cake.
Hold your brake lever back with a strap or rubberband before you do anything. This prevents the brakelight switch from damage. After you have the switch cover off you'll see what's up and can procede accordingly. Be carefull with the little brass barrels at the ends of the throttle cables. They tend to disappear into thin air. After the cables are off the grip, pull straight out on them to remove them from the housing. You might want to have some tiny zip-ties and Loctite on hand. A service manual comes in handy, too (torque specs).
Enjoy.
+1 on the brass ferrules disappearing into thin air. I was installing a pair of those Kuryakin Iso Grips and dropped both ferrules. My garage floor is pretty clean. However, after over an hour of searching for them I gave up and drove my cage to the dealer and purchased six(6) more. Extras in case I dropped some more.

Funny thing, the next morning I was walking by my bike and found both laying there on the floor just behind my rear tire. Go figure...

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
DeepDiggerWV
Novice

Yeah it's fairly easy to do. Did my switch covers, grips, and pegs in roughly 4hrs. Wouldn't have taken that long, but me and the ferrules didn't get along. It was a hot day, and my glasses kept slipping down me nose, finally resorted to getting my work safety glasses with 2x magnification and things went better from there.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 PM
gman33
Cruiser

Thanks all.....well I finished it up!! Took about 3hrs but lots of smoke breaks and a couple of beers. Wish I had another set of hands and watching videos online really helped because I never did this before and the service manual helped somewhat but not that great. Here are a couple of pics of the final product....I also replaced the switch covers which were a PITA the put on!!!

Thanks again to all for the replies!!!

Attached Thumbnails Switch Housing Kit - 1200C-photo1.jpg   Switch Housing Kit - 1200C-photo2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Switch Housing Kit - 1200C