Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 1200 custom pulling my hair out help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:04 AM
rockil
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 1200 custom pulling my hair out help!!

this is a long read but i really can use some help
two weeks before my warrenty was up the bike started running bad what it would do is after coming of the highway and come to a stop and then start it would act like it was out of gas i can roll on the throttle several times and it would go but would spit and sputter no problem doing 80 mph full tank of gas so took it to the dealer and they found two torn intake gaskets they fixed and ready to go. went to the state hog rally about 400 miles away and when pulling off the highway it does the same thing pops spits sputters just like it was out of gas took it to the dealer they said the main jet was the wrong size and replaced it ( they took out the factory jet) also when removeing the spark plug they broke it and had to fish out the threads from the head and said the plug was put in to tight and charged me $75 and said fixed already to go so we went about half way thru the ride and it does it again. so made it back home remember no problem doing 80 but the engine does run like the timing is off and i have told them all this. so when i get home back to the dealer they said the fuel filter was very dirty and so was the carb and charged me $240 all fixed ready to go while driving in town about 20 miles later taking a left plenty of time and it did it again but this time i had a car coming at me side ways with its brakes locked up trying not to hit me. went home changed my shorts. then back to the dealer they can not find anything wrong so they said they can not start throwing parts at it to find the problem. but i can i have two of them so i took what i thought was the problem part from one bike which was the ICM and what do you know it runs great. so i tell them this and find out that the part is on back order and will not be in for at least 6 weeks no good so they found one from another dealer in the east and that takes 2 weeks to get and put it on they had to password the dum thing and they want to charge me another $250 and away i go now the bike has never ever ran this good not even from day one o it has 16,000 miles on it. so today we took a 300 mile ride and it was very nice ran smooth and when pulling it to town at the end of the ride it started to do the same thing what is goin on can anyone tell please
thanks rockil

Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 04 1200 custom pulling my hair out help!!

Please post a description of your bike with all upgrades/add-ons. In otherwords, turn on the dang light so I can see whats in the room. ;-)

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
rockil
Stage IV

sorry new to this, i have had a stage 1 kit put in it from day one which they did the screaming eagle mufflers and rejet the carb with new air filter and that is all that has been done. well a different seat lug. rack, sissy bar

Old 09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
rlutsey
2nd Gear

There was some discussion of this on the XL Forum. Seems as though some similar symptoms were diagnosed as a bad Crank Position Sensor.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:09 PM
notorious
Road Captain

Drain all the fuel in a bucket and check for water via the petcock. Remove the petcock and clean the screen and rebuild it with new gaskets etc.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:57 PM
rockil
Stage IV

but they had already drained the gas tank and installed a new filter and cleaned out the carb.
also the bike ran like new after the new ICM was installed i guess it could be the CPS but wouldnt that do it all the time?
thanks for the responce

Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i am confused,

so does your bike run like this after you ride it hard then stop it then try to start it again? Or is it just any old time it cuts out on ya?

Does this happen when its idleing? Or just when you roll on the throttle? Did they replace your slow jets? If its acting like its fuel starved when its starting up from being stopped, but okay when your going fast then id look towards the slow jets, unscrew it and blow it out might be something stuck in there.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all the above suggestions don't help, try this:

I'ts either fuel or spark. When you go out for a test ride, take an extra spark plug and a small can of ether. When it dies and won't start, very quicky yank one of the plug wires and put it on your spare plug. Ground the side of the plug and crank the starter. You should have a vivid spark with a pronounced snapping. Check the other cylinder the same way. If the spark is good, then give a "small" shot of ether into the air cleaner while cranking the starter. If the engine sounds like it wants to start then it's probably a gas issue. Don't overdo the ether...not good for the innards if too much used. Billings is at 3600' and that CV carb has limited altitude correction. Are you going way up or way down when you travel 300-400 miles.

G'luck,

Olesalt

Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

When this happens, touch your pipes where they go into the engine and make sure they are both the same temp (or let them cool down a bit before touching each one quickly, or right when you start it up after a bit of it warming up). If your having intermittent spark or fuel starvation, you will probably have one pipe that will be cooler than the other. This will at least let you know which plug is not firing or is not getting enough gas. (the cooler pipe). I bet ya the spark plug wire housing is not screwed in tight enough onto the wire.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
rockil
Stage IV

lets see if i can explain this better after driving on the highway and i come to a stop the bike will still run it is when i give it the gas to start off again that is when it does this it is almost like the excelarater pump is not working but i have had the air cleaner off and there is gas going to the carb from the pump now on a hot day above 85 deg and i am in town start stop driving it will also do this but not has much as if im coming off the highway and it is not all of the time it is only when the engine is hot i can jump on the bike go 3o or 40 miles whith the air temp around 50 deg and it will not do this only on warm days. and remember it fells like the timeing is off the motor will shake more then normal there is never a error code when they check the motor will vibrate alot more above 65 and gets worse the faster i go at 90 my feet start to go num and on my wifes bike which is the same there is no problem i think some thing is causing the ICM to go wacky because after installing a new one there is no problem at all i went 300 miles ran great then started to go down hill after that
thanks

Quick Reply: 04 1200 custom pulling my hair out help!!