Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused... Stage 1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused... Stage 1 Question

I searched and searched and read alot on this site... then I read some links. I am confused.

I want to do the stage 1 on my 2006 Sportster 1200c

Here is why I am confused. Arlin Ness Big Sucker comes with a backplate. So I look in the new Harley Catalog and find a stage 1 kit for the 2007 That kit has a back plate. Nothing in the catalog for the 2006. So I read here and try to learn, did a search and I believe that the ac clearner has to be changed and that is it..... but I am still not 100% sure.

I already know that I have to change my jets and the pipes.... but this air clearer thing is getting me confused.
Here are my questions.
1) Buy a Screaming Eagle Air Filter (insert) Only?
2) Do I have to replace the backplate?
3) Lets say I want to go with a Hypercharger? No back plate change just the Hypercharger assembly that fits the year and model of my Harley.

I am beginning to think this whole deal is just like when your 16, you take the air cleaner cover off you chevy, flip it upside down and screw it back on. You can see the air filter and your carb gets more air.

If someone knows what I am asking, please let me know.... I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks
Jimmy D

Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Confused... Stage 1 Question

JimmyD,

The SE AC package (around 100.00 at most stealers) comes with a DRY Air filter, Special Backplate and for my 883 a set of breather bolts and special tubes that feed back into the carb.

I bought a Hypercharger and was not really happy with it's performance. It was leaky in the breathers and it really didnt thrill me. I liked the look but its cons out weighed the pros. So I went with the SE. Put it on and the performance was much better.

I didnt try it but I had an idea that if you just left the damn moving flaps open on the Hypercharger it would have performed much better.

The one thing with the SE package you should do is replace the dry filter that comes with it with a K&N oiled filter. This will yeild better performance and filter life. SE or another well designed well thought out high performance AC would be my choice. Stay away from excessive non-necessities. Good luck with your upgrade. Get yourself the service manual for your bike before you do anything. They are $58 or in my world, priceless.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 AM
XL4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Confused... Stage 1 Question

unless you get just a K&N replacement filter, almost every OTHER "air cleaner assembly" comes with it's own backing plate. Check around some of the the websites / catalogs will give you a view / parts list of what's included in the package. Most of them, you can't use another brand / type of backing plate, it won't fit !