Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Mid Controls XL883L - Someone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for trying to help me out with this honey.
Just thought I would include this photo of my leg position on my bike. Not only is my foot on the post of the foot peg (peg sticks out about 4 inches to the side of my foot) but I am in such a tucked position that my knees get tired. When I put my feet down at stops, I have caught the peg on the way down, almost spilling the bike over. (I am more careful of that now) I have sat on Sportys with forward controls but they feel too far forward for me. If I do not find a solution for the foot control issue, I may look into a seat that puts me further back than the solo reach that came with the bike. The seat is comfy though and I am happy with it. Also, if I go too far back with a seat, then I will need to change the handle bars. Being vertically challenged is not working out for me...yet.

Attached Thumbnails Mid-Mid Controls XL883L - Someone?-new-se-breather.jpg  

Last edited by Grrrl; 01-27-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add on
Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 5'5" w/ 30" inseam Never had an issue w/ catching a peg on my way down to the ground. It may be a matter of your riding style not the position of the pegs. I thought I would never like the fwd controls, but after riding the fxdl and my roadking I felt extremely cramped on the sporty. Fwds made it much more fun to ride. I don't think a new seat will help, your feet are still in the same place Meaning no disrespect and it is just my opinion as someone vertically challanged

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
blhill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something you could try is forward controls and a super reduced reach seat. I'm 5'6 with a stock seat and forward controls and the riding position is very comfortable, however I could stand to be a bit closer to the pegs. I think the reduced reach or super reduced reach would be a good solution.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the Harley program where they consult with you and and figure out the best way to get the right fit? Just a thought to help out.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The only problem with that is they use existing harley components, what I believe we need is an aftermarket item to move the pegs halfway between the current position to the full forward control position. I am surprised no one has such an item as I have sen lots of people expressing similar concerns.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking for shorter foot pegs for my Mids,,
stopped lookin, got used to the factory mids,,
Learned to sinch down my pant legs cause once, they hung up
on the peg an I wobbled at a stop,,

Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The forward controls on a rubber mount are only a few inches further forward than the mids. Was the bike you sat on with forwards an 04 or newer? Pre 04 Sportsters' forwards are further forward than the 04 & newer. (I've never typed the word "forward" so many times)

If that won't work for you hit up a local indy shop. One-off foot controls is a fairly easy task.

There are 2 ways to do it. 1) modify your existing foot controls. This would most likely require mods to the frame as well. Rather permanent. 2) Modify a set of forwards to be shorter and make mounts that bolt to existing holes.

The brake side would be easy but the shifter side is where the obstacles are. Moving the mids forward would require a longer shifter arm. Simple geometry says that would then make the stroke-to-shift longer and that could possibly require you to lift your foot off of the peg to move the shifter arm enough to shift. Bringing a set of forwards back to the position you need will require you to space the shifter side out away from the bike a bit more than one inch because of the primary cover.

If you're ok with the foot pegs & controls being spaced away from the bike an inch or so I would make a bolt-on bracket that uses the existing forward AND mid control frame mounts. From there I could mount forwards in any position between the mid mounts and forward mounts. Then I'd make a new brake & shift linkage rod to connect the foot levers to their respective components. All that would be left is to pull it all back apart for some gloss black powdercoating (to help hide the bracket).

Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grrrl,

Looking at your picture, you are pretty much in the ideal riding position. I'm assuming this is your first bike and first riding experience. I'd expect that the more you ride, the easier and more comfortable it will get.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I know there are a lot of combinations that you could try through the Moco and through the aftermarket with seats and different peg sets. I guess if you want something thats just that little bit further forward you may have to go custom. If you want I can put you in contact with the guy that is doing the build on my nightster. His prices are amazingly reasonable and his fab work is top notch everything he does is made from stainless so it can be polished nicely if you want and you don't have to worry about corrosion. Also, I noticed you live up in Nanaimo well Carl Bjorklund of Super Rat is located in Bellingham, Washington

Last edited by AaronG87; 01-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's 5'2" - her perfect combo: forwards w/ ISO Wings, 4.5" pullback risers, Nightster seat set 1" forward

Quick Reply: Mid-Mid Controls XL883L - Someone?