Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the sportster bike.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Lbuttke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfordcl
If it fired right back up after reinstalling the battery, you might of had some tension on the battery lead going to the starter while you were testing. I'de check the tightness of your connection on the starter...You probely did already. but just incase.

Ok, I goffed up here a bit in translation, my falt.

I only slid the battery out far enough to get to the postive post, did not unhook any wires on the battery.

However it is entirely possable there might be a bare wire behind the battery and it got moved when I slid the battery back into place .

The shop guy said that they would start and run the bike every now and again for the next couple of days to see if the "no start" happens again so they can than test the system.

I was told that if they find nothing, there would not be any charge.

I will belive that when I get the call to pick up the bike in a couple of days.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 AM
crawfordcl
Intermediate

Very true on that last part. Good luck though. The best way to get to the battery terminals for charging and testing if your going to leave the battery connected is to take the seat off. That way you can leave the battery cover on and save yourself some time.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

When these type of things happen, You should always checks fuses first, then loose connections.

As long as there's no charge at the dealer, then you're good IMHO.

Glad to hear you like the bike! If you change the mufflers and intake, you could pick up some power if needed.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 09-17-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Definitely let the dealer assess - especially when it's a no-charge agreement if the problem doesn't persist. Hopefully it will act-up again so they can diagnose elec. Could be anything mentioned above - sometimes electrical issues can be a bugger to trace.

Welcome to the forum - you're in good hands. Nice scoot! By younger bro had same year/model & ended up installing 1200 UG which really made it a beast. Fun bike to drive, but unfortunately he had to sell. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about how the bike is set up, but bad timing pickups often act that way, they can get erratic when hot, then you get no spark.

But the running under the starter only seems a clue.
I would have pulled all the fuses and reseated, same with relays.

Brett

Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Lbuttke
Intermediate

Well after 2 days sitting at the dealer they could not find anything wrong.
Bike would start for them every time they tried. There was no charge when I picked up the bike Friday afternoon.

However I think all they did was to try and start it every once in a while, I dont belive they even hooked it up to trace down the problem.

When I got it home I noticed some black electrical tape on the wire harness leading to the starter switch.
Never noticed this befor.

Apond inspection, I find splices leading me to assume that at some point in this bikes life the switch control box on the handle bar has been replaced.

I fired up the bike and tugged at all the spliced wires and to my luck the bike did not quit.

So I am thingking that the problem that accured out on the highway was a short in the start switch and kill switch as the wire from the start button runs through the kill switch.

I still need to take apart the switch box and look for bare wires or pinced wires.