Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with the Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM
tandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with the Nightster

Now don't get me wrong, I love my bike. But lately, I have been really bothered by some of the built in shortcomings.

I bought the bike knowing it didn't have much suspension, but man - I am afraid to take the bike on a highway. Any sort of pothole or sharp bump and it's not just a nuisance, it's dangerous. I've been launched out of the saddle and had the bars yanked out of my hands on more than one occasion. I ride prepared for the usual road conditions but a surprise bump can completely upset the bike. I'm not comfortable taking any corner at speed because the suspension just can't handle any sort of bump while leaned over. The low suspension looks cool (and I've seen "lowering kits" for sale for this bike....wtf???) but it's just not functional. I've heard the Superlow has even less clearance - can't imagine.

Low end torque - again, I know the 1200 is more of a revvy engine, but trying to use roll-on power makes the engine shake and clatter and clank and frankly doesn't get anywhere fast. I've been riding around using 2nd gear for 50km(35mph) which is fine, but it's more like riding a Ducati than a Harley.

The bike does great for ripping around town, as long as there's no real bumps, and no roads getting to highway speeds. I guess there's suspension upgrades and so on, but I'm wondering if I'm riding the wrong bike. I'd like to do some road trips but like I said, I'm just not comfortable on the highway. I'm thinking Fatboy, maybe Softail Custom, but there's still lots to really like about the Nightster, just some things I really don't like.

Anybody deal with these issues? Input welcome.

ride safe friends.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear ya on crappy suspension, i have a 97 hugger and I was just about thrown off the bike the other day on the highway because I didnt see a start of a pothole, where the asphalt kind of ***** up.. I caught air and my *** came off the seet about ten inches.. All I could do was laugh my *** off because I didnt wreck.. I just came off a sport bike where the suspension was AWESOME! I would practice on the on/off freeway ramps at speeds of 70-80MPH where the corner was marked 25MPH.. I went through a few of the same on/off ramps I used to ride so much on the sport bike, on the sportster and NO **** I was scraping the outer edge of my boots going about 25MPH, I guess thats why they are marked that speed.. For Harleys.. LOL..

Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

When I first got the bike, the suspension was set on the 3rd setting but I loosened it up one notch to the second least compressed setting and it's helped some. I definitely agree that a pothole is felt but if changing the suspension setting doesn't help, from what I've read it seems live progressive shocks make for a more comfortable ride.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 AM
snacks63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking for speed and handleing you need to be looking at a crotch rocket not a harley, harleys are for cruising and lookin good thats all

Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

The stock bikes assembled here in South Africa and I believe Europe as well the rear shock spec is 14 inches rear,yep the low back looks cool,but the longer shock works,I ride two up a lot and have no issues with the rear sus,power wise i have no problems my bike being responsive and eager to get to speed,just remember those gears are long,i sit in 2/3 gear in traffic and under 60km/h.
Front shock is definittly just not up to standard and progressive springs seem to be the answer,Enjoy the ride.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Putting the factory suspension on the tallest setting with help a lot. Yes, the rebound, dampening, etc... will still suck but, the added length will help improve the bikes handling by a long shot. I experienced the same problem added with how hard I ride I was dragging the exhaust on nearly every hard right. If you still don't like the handling you can always buy the suspension from the XR1200 which will give you much better performance and ride height.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 AM

It sounds like you are unhappy with all of the qualities that make it a Nightster. To me, this means that you have the wrong bike. The Progressive suspension upgrades fix the ride quality, and give you more lean angle, although you shouldn't need it. With the stock suspension, I ride through curves marked 40 kph (25 mph) at 115 kph (70 mph) every day, and have room to spare for bumps and changes in lean angle should I need to change my line. You just have to ride it like a race bike instead of a cruiser, it opens up tons of performance. If you want to run the engine at a higher RPM, change the sprockets. I don't have any trouble accelerating from low RPM, though. Of course, you have to define "low." I shift into (gear@mph) 2@20, 3@30, 4@40, 5@50 when not accelerating; add ten mph when accelerating lightly, add 20 mph when pushing pretty hard. The motor shakes a bit, but that's a Sportster for you. If you're getting clatter, you may not have good enough gas.

Anyway, as I said, it seems you don't like your scooter as it is, and I need a spare, so I'll let you give yours to me...

Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

It's a SPOTSTER, not a touring bike. Don't tell the wife you can't take a trip on a Nightster. She did over 900 miles Throug NC,SC and Tenn.( 300 miles was in the rain) Not to mention getting there from Florida. She wanted to take the Nightster instead of her Low rider.She said she would take the Nightster next year again.

Attached Thumbnails Issues with the Nightster-61130069.jpg   Issues with the Nightster-dianne-s-dyna.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

I just got back last night from riding my nightster 1164 miles in 4 days. We rode through the Delaware water gap, the Catskills, around Lake Champlain and back through the Adirondacks. A great ride in wind, rain and brief periods of sunshine. I was the only Sportie in the group and kept up to the BTs on interstates no problem but they all got left behind on the twisty mtn roads. I knew going into the trip that my comfort level would be different from theirs but the stupid grin on my face proved that touring on a sportster is not only possible but a lot of fun!

(As a side note my bike was the only one that the other 7 guys I was riding with all took a turn on......and they all came back with that same stupid grin. You all know the one I am talking about.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know h9ow long you have been ridding, but you cant take your eyes off the road for one second on a bike....if you miss a pothole its your fault not the bike, if you want a bike to take care of you when you miss a pothole with your eyes and reaction time....then you are probably on the wrong bike.

I agree with a previous poster, It sounds like you are just not happy with the bike, and desire it to be something it is not.

The nightster is a sport bike but you ride it different than a crotch rocket.
I also agree with setting the shock at the highest position...it's extremely helpfull
When you dont seem to have enough power shift down a gear and get your rpm's up.
Watch the road consistanly, if you miss a pothole you have absolutely no chance against something running out in front of you
Ride safe, hope this helps in some way.

Quick Reply: Issues with the Nightster