Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with the Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to say that something is wrong, but I doubt it. I've got hardtail struts on my bike with no spring seat. I've learned that I need to hold on - period. No bump ever surprises me. My eyes are always dead-set on what's in front of me. I have a lot of issues with front end wobble, and have thought about buying a fork brace but they aren't visually appealing to me. It's a rough ride and that's that.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

RK air shocks fixed the bouncing out of the seat deal and are your best bang for the buck, they dont change the look of the bike by much but they sure as hell change the ride.
we averaged nearly 150 miles per day on every saturday and sunday ride we took this past summer and i had no trouble hanging with the big boys.
roll on power is just a matter of getting a feel for the bike and what gear it wants to be in for the speed you are going.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
It sounds like you are unhappy with all of the qualities that make it a Nightster. To me, this means that you have the wrong bike. The Progressive suspension upgrades fix the ride quality, and give you more lean angle, although you shouldn't need it. With the stock suspension, I ride through curves marked 40 kph (25 mph) at 115 kph (70 mph) every day, and have room to spare for bumps and changes in lean angle should I need to change my line. You just have to ride it like a race bike instead of a cruiser, it opens up tons of performance. If you want to run the engine at a higher RPM, change the sprockets. I don't have any trouble accelerating from low RPM, though. Of course, you have to define "low." I shift into (gear@mph) 2@20, 3@30, 4@40, 5@50 when not accelerating; add ten mph when accelerating lightly, add 20 mph when pushing pretty hard. The motor shakes a bit, but that's a Sportster for you. If you're getting clatter, you may not have good enough gas.

Anyway, as I said, it seems you don't like your scooter as it is, and I need a spare, so I'll let you give yours to me...
I'd agree with Tek. Did you test drive it first? Have you owned another type of bike? Sportsters are known for fairly stiff suspension. I've ridden mine 500+ miles in a day and have no suspension upgrades. I avoid potholes, but have done that with all the bikes I own. Yes, cruisers handle potholes a little better between the weight and suspension.

Yes, the stock engine doesn't have a lot of giddy-up at low rpms. Classic for the sportys. Known as "lugging". Sportys are supposed to perfrom at a little higher rpm. A stage 1 does quite a bit for lower rpm performance and torque. A progressive upgrade will help with suspension. If you're looking for a "tourer" you need to get a touring bike.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rough ride is part of the charm. I also think the nightster hauls ***- I can beat most of my friends with cruisers 0-60 no problem.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
speedbmp07
Advanced

First things first, i am not an experienced rider...I love my nightster, but i too have hit a few unexpected potholes (my fault of course)...and almost flew out of the seat....My question is, now that my wife wants to take a ride every once in a while, what type of suspension do you suggest....stock suspension looks like its all the way compressed when we sit on it....I have seen that some of you said to adjust it, but which way do you turn it...does anyone have a pic of what it looks like in its tallest position.

Again i love my nightster, but am only asking this because everyone here is normally generous...im only looking for a reply that would help my predicament.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM

If it's all the way down when you both are on it, then adjust it to "5." If that isn't enough, call Progressive, and get 12.5" 412 Heavy Duty shocks.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

exactly what Tek said

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Garcia85
Cruiser

My *** took a pounding (no pun intended) when I drove my bike home when I bought it, it was about a 4-5 hour drive. Before I bought the Nightster, I new that it had its imperfections here and there, this is my first bike though, and it would be awesome to own something like a touring bike that is more comfortable on longer journeys.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 AM
6sick6
Advanced
Exclamation I hate to beat a dead horse....

Go ahead and spend twice the money on a nice bagger...

Or

keep your eyes on the road.
Be sure to keep a "reactionary gap" between the vehicle in front of you and yourself.
Constantly scan the road for the possibility of death.
Last but not least...
I hate to say it...

Man up!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
speedbmp07
Advanced

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
If it's all the way down when you both are on it, then adjust it to "5." If that isn't enough, call Progressive, and get 12.5" 412 Heavy Duty shocks.
Thanks for the help....I will definitely look into that. Once again I appreciate those willing to help another rider out, opposed to bad mouthing a concern or complaint they may have...

Quick Reply: Issues with the Nightster