Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Valvetrain rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM
pakitloss
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Valvetrain rattle

Hi group,

I have a 2010 Iron 883 with @ 5k miles on it. About a month ago I started noticing a loud rattle coming from the top of the engine. (take a rattlesnake sound and raise it about 4 octaves). I becomes more prevalent at @ 55 - 60 mph. If you get on the throttle at that speed it almost slightly feels like one side isn't pulling it weight. Recently I had it in for it's 1000 mile service (at @ 3000 miles, I know i know.... but I bought the bike in PA and I live in MD and had a hard time getting a apt. that worked). Anyway when I drove away from the shop after the service the bike felt brand new again. The rattle was gone, It was WAY more peppy and idled perfectly. They said all they did was the service, nothing special. Any ideas why this would show up again after the last oil change? I have put about 700 miles on the bike since. It is definitely in the valve train but I hear these are not adjustable. I am not kidding I have Screamin Eagle II pipes on and it is louder than the pipes while I am riding on it. I called the dealer and they were just like uh dunno... no interest or advice at all. I am at a loss...

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Without hearing & assessing, it could be a number of things. Best advice I'll offer is get it back to HD for service b/c you're still under warranty...any dealerships closer to your area? Don't feel obligated to tak it back where purchased (I don't).

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
pakitloss
1st Gear

Thanks iceman,

There is one here in Frederick, Md where I work. I will try and see if I can drop it off next week. I knew it was a tough one to asses without hearing it but I was hoping someone had ran in to a problem like this before.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Without hearing & assessing, it could be a number of things. Best advice I'll offer is get it back to HD for service b/c you're still under warranty...any dealerships closer to your area? Don't feel obligated to tak it back where purchased (I don't).

Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd have to say it could be the normal "Sewing machine" sound of a Sportster engine and became more prevelant because the oil was broken down & not lubing the top end enough/properly......Or if happens when rolling on the throttle then your pinging and it needs looked at.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
pakitloss
1st Gear

Thanks WVHogRider,

I checked for pinging. Not that... I have spent the past half hour searching Google for this and it looks like it may be normal of an 883? The oil breaking down seems logical. It was 54 degrees this morning when I left and the bike ran quiet for a few miles. I am going to do an oil change this weekend along with some plugs (not related) and see if I can repeat it again. I read that using a synthetic oil can help? Any opinion on that?

Mike

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I'd have to say it could be the normal "Sewing machine" sound of a Sportster engine and became more prevelant because the oil was broken down & not lubing the top end enough/properly......Or if happens when rolling on the throttle then your pinging and it needs looked at.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 PM
pakitloss
1st Gear

Problem solved.... I put V.H. Side Shots on it today. I can't hear anything now LOL

Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evo (Sportie) engines are very loud. They normally make a lot of rattling sounds.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

My wifes 07 would start to hear valve train noise after about 2k on a conventional oil change (also burned a quart in 600 miles) Switched out to Mobil 1 Vtwin and no noise and no oil burning 3400 miles so far

Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

as stated a switch of oil may help, air cooled enginer are VERY hard on oil, a full synthetic can be great insurance, i like amsoil myself, many synthetics use group III oils can be still called synthetic like harley's brand of over priced + underperforming oil!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are really concerned about the noise, take it to your dealer. Your warranty is good till 2012.

Quick Reply: Sportster Valvetrain rattle