Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Question 2007 XL50 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Question 2007 XL50 Sportster

Hello people...

New to the forum and new to Sportsters. Perhaps some of you can help with my little dilemma. I recently purchased a 07 XL50 Sportster 1200, and I desperately want to upgrade this bike for added horsepower. I have broken the bike in, performed the first service at 1000 miles, and have since bagged another 1000 miles on it since. I am new to Sportsters and after a 16 year hiatus from riding, I am missing the performance and horsepower I had from my old scooter. The biggest problem I am having is that the local dealers (2) have no anticipation of performance upgrades or more so, when they might be coming from the Motor Company until a few months pass. I am told the bike will not require an intake change (such as stage 1), but that it will likely require a performance chip (upgrade) and new exhaust in order to achieve some gain?

What I am seeking is more than tuned pipes, and an air cleaner. I want to delve into a balanced performance monster where I can still street cruise this putter, but want a radical camshaft, decent horsepower gains, and an awesome set of pipes that announce my arrival from blocks away. I love the fuel injection EVO, but want more than a 10hp upgrade while still keeping this running in reliable fashion. Can anyone shed some light on stage 1 / stage 2 upgrades for the 2007 models, and what’s all in this chip upgrade? The dealer said that adding pipes to this sporty will only result in popping and farting until there is a revised chip for the bikes EFI system.

If anyone can shed some light on high performance options for this bike I would be greatfully thankful. I don’t know what cam to choose and where the line is drawn with stock heads and pistons, or if this EFI bike will run with pistons, cams, head porting and exhaust done? If what I am after is a 20-30+ hp gain, what all do I need to do, and what engine upgrades are required for this EVO. Cost is not much of a factor for me, but getting this thing dialed in perfectly is! Thanks in advance all…

Sportin_2007
2007 XL50 Sportster
Calgary, AB Canada

Old 09-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Performance Quection 2007 XL50 Sportster

Nobody knows when/if a new SE catalog will be coming, so as it stands, it is unknown wht will be acailable as far as performance upgrades....

In theory, the 04 and up XL SE parts will fit (Cams & exhaust are about it), as the front head is equipped with an ET sensor....

NRHS, Zippers, S&S and Revolution I am sure, are working to see if their existing packages will work on the 07 XL's.....

I haven't seen the "W" grind cam profile yet, as that is the standard cam now for the XL's.....

But in "Theory" the .551 or aggressive .575 lift cams should work.....

With the mods you are looking at doing, you will need to invest into a SERT.....

And yes, there are 3, I think Stage maps in the system for the XL's, but they are all Stage I Legal maps....

Old 09-09-2006, 02:42 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Hello Bob...

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mean to sound naive, but can you tell me, what is a SERT?

This is my first Harley and I am used to building 500 HP small block Chevs, so this is all new to me but fun at the same time. I understand the cam grinds and know that a .575 is more the lift that I am after. Does such a grind require higher compression and related porting? Also, if one is to tweak the top end on the Evolution, is similar reinforcing required in the bottom end? I know I want some more power and a nasty mill, but don't know where to end this quest with respect to this being a FI motor with sensors and the rest. Knowing little about the stock components on the XL, I am always curious whether primary drives, clutches, transmissions and reciprocating assemblies are equal to the beating I will likely lay on them?

Am I asking for too much from this EFI 1200? I don't know enough to assume otherwise and appreciate input from those who have the experience with Harleys. Winter is nearing here and I know I have 5-6 months before spring breaks here, but I want to research this now so I can arrange this work well before the roads thaw. We get occassional breaks from the weather here (Chinooks) and I wouldn't mind having this putter beefed up in times for a New Years day ride if conditions permit this season.

What kind of power / TQ can be made from a worked 1200? Thanks again Bob

Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

SERT - Screaming Eagle Race Tuner.... Software and Interface unit that allows you to upload, modify and tune in your specific needs and desires of how you want the motor to perform with "Non-Conventional" builds, or fine tuning the standard Stage Packages offered by HD.... It is a tool that also gives you the ability to "See" what is going on with all the Sensors and actuators, and how the ECM monitors and compensates for the changes.. It's called Data Mode.... You can see DTC's and clear them also.....

THIS link should give you an idea what is out there for the XL's.....

I am attempting to sweet talk Momma into the 90" kit..... Already have the Buell Thunderstorm heads (Race prep'd @ 1.95) and .575 cams......

REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE is another company that does some great stuff..... Our shop uses their Nickasel Cyl's on our drag bikes...

Old 09-09-2006, 03:15 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

My solution to more horsepower...spend a year on a 500cc virago, then the sportster feels like a rocket.

I am fine with the power I got, just happy to have a Harley.

Seems like there are a lot of guys out there that want sport bike power, but still want Harley looks and comfort.
There is going to have to be some trade off.

You can go to the Yamaha dealership, spend less than 9k, and ride off on a bike that has 150 HP stock, with no upgrades, and will accellerate faster than a Ferrari.

How come Harley doesn't start making their bikes with more power? Or do they want us to spend several thousand more dollars on upgrades?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:49 PM
techdct
Advanced

I have an 07 XL50. I installed Scremin Eagle II slips on (found them in stock a my local dealer), upgraded to the Scremin Eagle Stage I kit, and then purchased the SE Race Tuner kit. The dealer re-flashed the ECM using the SERT with a proper map. The SERT was not cheap, however, this bike runs totally different. You can lug the engine down to about 2200 RPM (before it was about 2500) and it raise the RPM limited from 6000 RPM to 7000 RPM. The bike used to very cold natured and took about 10 minutes of running before it smoothed out. Now cold starts are about as smooth as warm starts. Bike has more power, a broader power band, and get about 4 more MPG.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Thanks for sharing that techdct. It's timely that your post comes today, as the forum emailed me a link to your post, and I just walked in the door from my local dealer where I bought a stage 1 upgrade. I was going to go with stage II, but bought the lesser evil of two upgrades which gives me that needed 10-12hp gain and a better bang for the buck as the stage II only adds another 15hp and is about 3500.00 more. This is what I bought for my 2007 XL50 today;

Stage 1 EFI Breather Kit 2007 - $ 174.56 CDN
Vance & Hines Straightshot Exhaust - $ 370.00 CDN
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - $ 539.00 CDN
Drag Bars w/ Grips - $ 125.70 CDN
HD Forward Controls Polished - $ 410.51 CDN
HD Peg Kit - $ 57.72 CDN
Install, Map - Tuning c/w Dyno Session $ 656.00 CDN (estimated)

I will drop the bike off tomorrow and all the extras should be installed and tuned in time to put the bike back under the tree for Xmas. I will be adding a LePera Daytona Sport LT seat once they refit their seats to allow for the ECM module which is underneath the seat. The look should be awesome, and I can't wait for a warm Chinook day so I can take the bike for a ride sometime soon. I was gonna ride today (Plus 13 Celcius) but there's still too much snow in my parking lot for me to get the bike out for a spin.

Having a local dealer that is sympathetic to my needs - Awesome!
Having a wife that buys me all of this for Christmas - Priceless!

Here is the seat I will be adding soon...

[IMG]local://upfiles/17826/B2D5F508C4344DD98637BD6804950922.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.

07 Sportster custom.

baffles removed.

End result= Priceless.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

(lol) I had to put a new Avatar Picture next to my user ID.

A buddy was in my office today, and he said it was cool that I have my bike parked right next to my office desk. I look at it everyday, and it's a cool piece of art that keeps me motivated. Now thats priceless.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigtime!!

Quick Reply: Performance Question 2007 XL50 Sportster