Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: Choppy Chop Chop and stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Pics: Choppy Chop Chop and stuff.

Just thought I'd share another chop thread as I decided this morning to chop my fender and either stay with the stock shocks or get some struts to lower the fender and give my Iron that aggressive look.

First off, getting the fender off was a biatch. Drilling out eight rivets, and getting all the wires undone and not realizing that the damn wires come out of the back of the plugs so you don't need to cut the wires and rewire them with butt connectors.

So I chopped the front of the fender and slid it forward. I think I chopped off less than most people have, but I didn't want it to look super short. I also had to re-drill the hole for my seat bracket. The fender sits high and I'm okay with that, but still thinking about struts. I used a dremel and about six cut-off wheels that were reinforced. If I had to do this again, I would have bought a cut-off wheel for my angle grinder instead. I didn't have a dremel so I dropped $100 on one instead of using the grinder. No problem, I now have a dremel.

Next I cut the fender struts with my sawzall, this took about 4 minutes to do and was pretty damn easy. After everything was cut I sprayed the fender with flat black and clear coat around the cut edge after sanding/priming. I then sprayed the end of the fender struts with primer/gloss black, 2 coats of clear.

Got everything back together and decided to relocate the turn signals. I used the rear axle method and found it to be pretty simple. I added some rubber fender bolt washers too just in case to absorb some vibrations.

I also cut my license plate bracket and just re-attached the bracket to the fender strut/fender and ran the wires with some wire ties.

Anyway, let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

more pics...

Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

last batch...

Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it! I would space the right side turn signal out as much as the left and trim the flat part of the fender just past where it now bolts to your fender struts...but if you rock it the way it is it's still cool.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mreed
I like it! I would space the right side turn signal out as much as the left and trim the flat part of the fender just past where it now bolts to your fender struts...but if you rock it the way it is it's still cool.

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree with you. I'm wondering how I would space the right side to be equal and I was thinking about this after I did the change. I'm not quite sure what to use to get it spaced properly as the nut has to be snug against the signal so it will not come lose.

On the fender, I was thinking about trimming the part under the strut that is now exposed if that's what you are referring to, but I was afraid it would make the fender much less stable as that is the part that I'm bolting the fender to the fender strut with and it runs from the front to the back of the fender.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't tell how it is mounted but I'm sure you can figure something out.

Since your rear tails are mounted so low I think it would be slick to mount your front signals down off of the forward control mounting holes so that they are on the same plane.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 AM
lilbruce
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loooks really good and clean, nice work man

Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another suggestion is to round off the end of the struts so it doesn't look like it was just hacked off. Looks good with the spring seat.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howzit

looks great.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:22 AM
rolfsharley
Tourer
Default Nice

Looks good

Quick Reply: Pics: Choppy Chop Chop and stuff.