Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:47 PM
steve1173
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm System

Picking up my 07 XL883L today, had the dealer install the new factory alarm system as well as the siren, called me to tell me everything went okay except the siren chirps but does not sound off if the bike is disturbed with the alarm on, lights flash, etc, he says it was installed right but feels the siren module might be defective. Will take care of it first service as he has no other siren modules in stock. Any idea if he might of missed something on the install. Wanted the factory install but it did not come thru on the order.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Alarm System

Have them confirm the Manufacture date of the Smart Siren II... Located in the Batt door....

Reference P&A Bulletin 894.....

Old 09-08-2006, 06:05 PM
steve1173
6th Gear

Spoke with the dealer again, salesman gave me the brush off. I asked them to order with the mag wheels & factory alarm, they forgot so they exchanged the wheels with an 06 & added the alarm at more then the factory charged & it seems put the wrong siren on as well as only one key fob. They say it only comes with one after market, I told them I will drop the bike off so they can remove the system because they want me to pay for the 2nd, the sale manager messed up as he did not put the order in right as he had time to make the change by 6 days according to the guidelines. Too bad HD does not have a customer service to compalin to. The reason I took this one as my loan was going to run out & I would have to reapply at a higher rate.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM
jshall755
Advanced

I don't remember where, but I think I read that the new modules have a warning function that causes the alarm to chirp first if the bike is only slightly disturbed in order to help prevent false alarms.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your dealer is giving you this much trouble when they're trying to complete a sale. I just drop off the bike. PERIOD..Plenty of other HD dealers in the world

Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM
steve1173
6th Gear

Problem is I already took possession, also now they are claiming that unless the factory installs it the kit comes only with one fob when the sales person said two. When I said the sales manager messed up as he was supposed to change the order before a certain date & he "forgot" I said I am going to complain to the owner, the service manager said tread lightly as the sales manager is the owners son. He did say he spoke with the owner and they will give me a 2nd fob. Personally I think they messed up on the install as when it arms it only chirps once & the manual says twice, the alarm does not sound no matter how long it is set off where the lights flash, the manual says might be shorted but the dealer says maybe the siren is faulty. I tried the chirp/no chirp, in the manual but still only one chirp on arming, maybe the manual is right it might be shorted, we all know how good some dealer techs are.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 AM
guitarenigma
Cruiser

Sounds like your dealer might be jerking you around a little. I had the siren installed pre-delivery on my 2006 883C. I got 2 key fobs.
Press twice in quick sucession, one chirp = disarmed; Hold down until you hear 2 chirps = armed. There is a 'warn-away' feature that sounds a brief scream, say if you bump the bike or jiggle the bars to see if the fork is locked.
There is also a way to set up the alarm with a sequence of presses on the turn signal buttons as long as you have the key, but the section in the owner's manual was so long an complicated I never bothered with it.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer

I have an 07 Sporty with the factory alarm installed. This fob has no buttons and arms by itself as soon as you shut the bike off. It has a proximity based arming chip and it deep arms once you walk away from the bike or when the prox chip is out of range. This enables an ignition cutoff so the bike cannot be started.

It does ship from the factory with 2 alarm fobs and should also have code tags with each remote in case you lose the fob and need to order another. Whatever you do with 07 models, do not discard these code tags. If you lose your remotes, you cannot start the engine without one, and they are nightmares to replace if you don't have the code tags. (trust me on this one)

I had my dealer install the smart alarm II with the pager and siren just last week and the pager has a button to arm it while in range of the bike, or run in vibrate mode while near the bike in case of theft or moving of the bike. As far as the Smart Alarm Siren is concerned, it arms with one chirp, and 2 chirps when you insert the key and turn to disarm it. When armed, there is a red key symbol that flashes on the speedo gauge, and it goes solid when te proximity chip is near the ignition sensor (which disables the alarm when moving the bike prior to starting).

Also when the bike is armed, it chirps once if you bump the bike, and if you do it three times in a row, or upright the bike, the siren then goes into full alarm and signals the pager if you are in range of the bike. (about a couple hundred feet range for the pager I think)

I am quite happy with my alarm install and it works fine. I know there are some problems with the 2007 models where the dealer has to upload a new software patch to rectify the alarm issues. Can't recall if your bike is an 06 or 07. In either case, be tactful in your approach to the dealer, but be sure to express your disatisfaction with the service and order mixup and ask that they rectify the order immediately.

Cheers.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 AM
steve1173
6th Gear

It is a 2007, dealer keeps insisting that as a non factory install it only comes with one fob but now they say they will "give" me another one from inventory. The siren refuses to go on no matter what, they claim it might be defective, they never mentioned a software patch, I am under the impression the tech might be at a loss on this. According to the manual & wallet card in it it is supposed to chirp twice on arming & once disarm but I only get one chirp on arming. I wonder if the tech might have a problem with the second fob when they give me it mating it to my alarm system, they say they need the bike to mate it. Losing faith in my dealer.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM
LEGENDCHROME
Cruiser

The systems installed at the factory come with two fobs, accessory sale alarm kits only come with one fob. The dealer is pulling a 65 dollar fob out of inventory and giving it to you.

Quick Reply: Alarm System