Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for Joebotics

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Questions for Joebotics

Joe,

I was checking out your photos as I'm thinking about putting struts on my Iron. In this picture, did the struts lower your rear fender as low as it looks in the photo without modding the fender? Other than it appears you chopped the back of it somewhat?

Also, have you had any problems with control when going over bumps, RR tracks, etc? I've got some speed bumps on the freeway near me and I'm concerned about hitting them at 65+ MPH and losing traction on the rear tire. I'm about 5' 7" 180lbs in pretty good shape, not overweight.

What length did you go with on the struts, are they shorter than 10"?

Since you flipped your bars, have you or do you have any elbow pain? Since I flipped my bars, my left elbow has had some joint pain and I can't tell if it's from the riding position or from lifting at the gym. Might just be from the gym but the timing was around when I switched to flipped bars.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey simmy!! my answers in BOLD

Originally Posted by simmy711
Joe,

I was checking out your photos as I'm thinking about putting struts on my Iron. In this picture, did the struts lower your rear fender as low as it looks in the photo without modding the fender? Other than it appears you chopped the back of it somewhat?
I had to mod the fender to a minimalistic expression, just cutting the back of the fender does not work due to the shape and the way the fender is secured on the support struts.... a lot of work... all the cutting and grinding... and removing the fender support was laborious since it is riveted... there is also a thick and heavy U shaped support bracket that goes from side to side at the very rear of the fender... that thing has to go if you want to lower the bike .. I used colorite rattle can that matches Black Denim ... my rigid struts were custom made 9.25'' very low.. but commercial 10'' should look the same... quite some work... but the bike looks really badass !!!

Also, have you had any problems with control when going over bumps, RR tracks, etc? I've got some speed bumps on the freeway near me and I'm concerned about hitting them at 65+ MPH and losing traction on the rear tire. I'm about 5' 7" 180lbs in pretty good shape, not overweight.
With rigid struts you definitely have to pay more attention to the road.. what for other riders is an annoying bridge overpass bump... to me sometimes becomes a scary moment... I usually ride behind a couple of my buddies so I can calculate how rough the road ahead of me is based on how their bikes react to bumps.. needless to say it is still rough and scary sometimes.. I almost lost control on the highway in New Orleans.. the roads are in terrible shape.. and although my buddies negotiated the bumps with little effort... I almost went flying Evel Knievel style.. :-)... I have to say that the rigid struts / inverted handlebars combo forces you to ride in a more alert / racing bike riding style.. I actually like it.. BTW.. I am 5'6'' 155lbls

What length did you go with on the struts, are they shorter than 10"?
Custom made 9.25''

Since you flipped your bars, have you or do you have any elbow pain? Since I flipped my bars, my left elbow has had some joint pain and I can't tell if it's from the riding position or from lifting at the gym. Might just be from the gym but the timing was around when I switched to flipped bars.
I also lift weights.. it contributes to the joint pain.. but it is not the issue.. is the new riding position that triggers the pain... the inverted handlebars take time to get used to... when I inverted mine... I was sore all the time.. now I only start feeling soreness after a couple hundred miles..

I hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

since we are on the subject, if i'm not wanting to really cut the fender but just bring it lower onto the tire, will removing the brace help achieve this? i'm already running biltwell struts but the fender just isn't low enough

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Glenb.. can you please post a close-up picture of te rear of your bike?... if you are running struts I can only imagine that they are at least 11'' if you want to lower the bike but keeping the fender the only way is to cut/chop/relocate the fender.. and BTW.. the brace and side panels attached to the rear fender are there to support the weight of the passenger... so... removal of those means no more passenger... I cannot see a passenger riding on struts.... a big no-no...

I hope this helps...

Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM
simmy711
Road Captain

Joebotics,

Thank you for the replies to my questions. After reading your experiences about the ride on the struts, I think I may just order a set of Burly shocks for the rear and call it a day. As far as the fender, I'm not sure how I can chop/lower it as I my HD Springer seat uses the stock seat bolt hole to attach the bracket that supports the springs of the seat. However, I'm determined to chop/lower it for that lowered look. Hopefully the Burly slammer shocks will get me a bit lower than stock, but maintain stability. Finally, I think you are right the flipped bars are what is causing my elbow pain. Seems as though my elbows take most of the bumps form the front end with them flipped. I'm not going to change it for now and it will only get worse if I decide to go to clip-on's...LOL! I love the way it looks so no way am I going back to stock or drags.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

Last edited by GlennB.; 09-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

hey joebotics, this is the best i could do for right now. what do you think it'll take to lower the rear fender down like in the original pic?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

We can't see those pictures.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

there, should be fixed

Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey GlennB... what year is your bike?... and to answer your question.. yes... you can make yours look like that original pic I have on my profile if you are using rigid struts... it is a pretty laborious endeavor.. you'll have to remove the whole fender assembly (disconnect the turn signal lights, they connect to female connectors under your seat).... then remove the rivets that attach the fender to the support side panels... the best look you can achieve is by cutting the fender support struts where the lights are attached right before the turn signal's bolt holes.. round the edges.. then move the fender forward.. drill a hole at the rear of the fender just big enough so you can use the turn signal bolts to reattach the fender.. you can secure the front part of the fender by drilling a center hole and then using the bolt that is also used for the spring seat.. the real pain is the license plate assembly since you cannot reuse the whole side panels... what I did was to cut it, grind it and reinstalled it in the same location..

Quick Reply: Questions for Joebotics