Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprisingly uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Iron_Yeti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprisingly uncomfortable

Ever since I bought my 2010 Iron this past spring, I have been riding it every chance I get --> back roads of Northern VA on the weekend and commuting up and down 95 to/from DC during the week. Today was the first time I rode it solely on the highway w/ speeds between 50-80 mph for 2 hours (with a break for dinner in between). Needless to say I am sore and it's not because of the stock shocks. Here's my stats: 5'6" and 145lbs and in excellent shape, essentially stock 2010 Iron except for a HD Reach seat for 2-up. My hands alternated losing feeling and my upper back was tight. I am not sure if the vibration played a role in my issues. I did lift free weights early this AM but I also don't think that was an issue. Anyone near my size: what have you done to make your Iron more comfortable? I love my Iron but I am bummed that I was so uncomfortable today

Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I am 5'6'' 155lbs .. and when I rode mine stock I noticed that my upper back got sore because of the handlebars ... perhaps you need handlebars with more pullback... maybe change the risers so the handlebars are closer to you.. unfortunately I made my bike as uncomfortable as possible so I can not give you positive input besides the handlebars comment... the Reach seat is comfortable.. but you will certainly benefit from upgrading the rear shocks to progressive shocks (specially if you ride 2-up often)... another recommendation is to upgrade the front suspension. how long have you been riding your Iron?... it is also a matter of getting used to it.. I used to be sore after 2 hours of riding.. not anymore...

Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

I don't have an Iron, but I do have an 883 Low which has to be just as uncomfortable when stock. I added a Mustang Vintage solo seat and HD adjustable highway supports and pegs. These upgrades made the bike much more tolerable on long rides. The forward footpegs really help change the pressure points on my back and butt and let me stretch out while still allowing me to keep the stock mid-controls. My bike does not vibrate much when up to speed. Not sure why your hands go numb. Are you holding the grips really tight? I ride with a fairly loose/relaxed grip most times. My Sporty will never be "comfortable" for long rides, but now it is tolerable. -Dave.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to tell you to get the reach seat, but you have one so yeah! I'm 5'8" and 155 and somtimes I get sore on my bikes-that is just part of riding. Somedays I could ride all day and others I'm ready to go home after an hour or two. The others gave good advise and just keep riding and having fun. Remember we own Sportsters not baggers so it not going to be like riding on a cloud LOL!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have a iron, but my neck and between my shoulder blades would get sore after 3 or 4 hours of riding. got a taller windshield and i have no more pain. guess it was my head pushing againist the wind.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Beaulaplante
Intermediate

+ 1 with Psycho Steve...If you ride on the highway a lot, get a small windshield... It'll take the edge off your chest and make you much more comfortable...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

At a standstill you should be able to reach the ground while keeping your knees slightly bent. You sound like thats probably not a problem.

When riding you should be able to reach your bars while keeping your back straight while being able to keep your elbows bent slightly. Your hands should also be located below the level of your heart. This and good grips will help keep good circulation to your hands and help prevent numbness. Imho, most stock seats leave a lot to be desired in terms of cushion after riding a couple of hours or more. Replacing it with an after market seat, ie Mustang or Corbet or something with good padding, will make a big difference on the buttocks and can help with back issues. They do make some of those seats with removable back rests as well.

While there is lots of opinions regarding windshields, they do serve a function if you get one properly installed. If it sits at the proper angle and the top is about even with your upper lip (you should be able to see over it-never ride having to look through one constantly) it will relieve you of undo winds constantly blowing on you. This is really tiring after a long ride, plus in the rain it does help keep some of it off of you.

Just my Name:  two-cents.gif
Views: 1644
Size:  221 Bytes

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I can ride my 883R for a fair distance now that my rear end is per say in shape. (Sundowner Seat). Hands don't have issues as long as you ride relaxed ie relaxed grip when you aren't running through the gears. I have a windshield and i hate it so i don't ride with it and have found if you have proper fitting riding gear (jacket and helmet) that even at 70 mph the wind isn't bad at all. Wear a poor fitting parachute of a jacket and it feels like a parachute trying to pull you off the bike.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM
slickster2354
Intermediate

The sporty wasn't made for hours of highway riding...I ride my 80 XLS around town and my goldwing on the long trips....400-600 miles a day is pretty easy...

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your hands are numb you could be holding on too tight. It often happens when you travel at high speed. That may even account for the tension in your back. I consciously relax my hands by drumming my fingers on the levers every few minutes

Quick Reply: Surprisingly uncomfortable