Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.

Currently, I have my bars flipped on my Iron, but I'm thinking about getting some Clip-on's from Lick's. If I get Clip-On's, does anyone know if I need to change my upper tree? What about my handlebar top and lower clamps? how do I remove the lower clamp to make it look clean?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I put some on a Sportster a couple months ago. I changed out his lowering fork springs with a stock pair and slid the tubes up enough to clip the bars on. You can mount the clip-ons below the upper tree and leave the suspension alone but that was too much of a reach for the guy. All I did otherwise was ditch the risers all together & relocated the speedo.

I also relocated the turnsignals to the front tank mount bolt & swapped the headlight with an auxillary light from an Indian.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Ahks
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forwards and clipons... is the rider a tall chimpanzee? i can't imagine how that would be comfortable

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ahks
forwards and clipons... is the rider a tall chimpanzee? i can't imagine how that would be comfortable
Lol...I know. I keep trying to talk him into running mids. He's a short & portly fella too. He loves it though and really looks pretty comfortable when he's riding it.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:06 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

Thanks mreed!

What brand clip-on's are those? I'm thinking I will mount them under the upper tree as I have the flipped bars and mid controls now and it feels fine to me. I'm thinking I'll have to find something to "plug" the holes where the risers were once I remove them. Also makes me think I'll want to really get rid of the headlight/visor and get a new one as soon as the clip-on's get installed. Did you have to redo his brake line or do you think I can keep the stock one?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:10 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

Here is where I'm at today, and looking at your bike makes me want to go with struts in the worst way!

Attached Thumbnails Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.-img_20100821_173106.jpg   Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.-img_20100821_173230.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 05:36 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I got them from Ebay. Here's a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/39MM-...Q5fAccessories

The stock controls & grips worked just fine. His bike had ridiculous risers when he brought it so he had an aftermarket brake line and I just put a stock line back on it but the hard line part was too long. I ended up clamping the line to the frame where the horn is (was). The line no longer pivots with the front end but with the rubber line at the master & then after the hard line to the caliper it's not an issue at all. My Nightster is the same way. Of course, you could simply shorten the hard line.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahks
I dunno about comfort but the scoot really rocks

Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shiftharder
I dunno about comfort but the scoot really rocks
Thanks...even though it's not mine. It's that guy's first bike. It came in for some old school looking pipes.

Here it is the day he dropped it off.

After seeing some of my buddy's bikes that were hanging out & a couple I was already working on he just left it & said make it cool.

He came back to check it out & it looked like this

...he almost teared up, or felt like punching me, I couldn't tell but he had a difficult time seeing the final outcome. He's a happy guy now. Lol

Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you can plug the holes with knock-out plugs. They would be found in the electrical section of Home Depot. They are used to plug open holes in electrical boxes and they just snap in. If you find some that are close you can bend the tabs to make it snug. Oh ya, it is the same thing that is covering your headlight adjustment nut on the stock eyebrow, but may need to be a different size.

Quick Reply: Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.