Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In my local Lowe's there is a fastener aisle that has drawers of specialty stuff. They have plugs that fit in there too. But on the bike I did, I ran the wiring through them.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 PM
berub9a2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that bike looks pretty awesome.

Out of curiosity how much did you charge to make his bike look ""cool"""

Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

His bill was pretty steep but that's because the bike was neglected by the previous owner and I changed out alot of parts like the entire front end, wheels, tires, all consumables (bearings, brake pads...) and tins.

But he definitely earned a pretty noticable discount because he gave me free reign to do whatever.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again mreed. The ebay clip-on's look like they are quality made. I also like your idea of using the old riser holes for running the wires. I'm assuming you ran the wires through the bars as these are not dimpled? Also, did you have solder the wires to the controls after you ran them? I'm guessing you had to cut them or unsolder them from the housings?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's some advice I wish I would have gotten before I got into installing clip-ons on my 06. First, you CANNOT mount them above the top tree - Your stock fork tubes aren't long enough. And what would be the point?...May as well use drag bars with your stock risers - almost the same feel. Second, they have no dimples, so do internal wiring, or buy a dremmel and route out your controls to let your wires feed through. Your front brake line is gonna be TIGHT! May wanna consider getting a longer one. Save yourself some trouble and use a motorcycle jack to get your front end off the ground. Loosen up BOTH your triple trees and slide your fork tubes down and throw on your clips. Clip-ons are expensive, but very unique and cool. I've only seen a couple people on here and youtube that have them. Maybe 5 total, counting myself. Everyone is too lazy and uses a standard drag bar or flips their stockers. I say GO FOR IT! Here is a pic of what I did to my top tree to cover the holes - Just some bolts/washers. Lemme know how you make out!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Here's some advice I wish I would have gotten before I got into installing clip-ons on my 06. First, you CANNOT mount them above the top tree - Your stock fork tubes aren't long enough. And what would be the point?...May as well use drag bars with your stock risers - almost the same feel. Second, they have no dimples, so do internal wiring, or buy a dremmel and route out your controls to let your wires feed through. Your front brake line is gonna be TIGHT! May wanna consider getting a longer one. Save yourself some trouble and use a motorcycle jack to get your front end off the ground. Loosen up BOTH your triple trees and slide your fork tubes down and throw on your clips. Clip-ons are expensive, but very unique and cool. I've only seen a couple people on here and youtube that have them. Maybe 5 total, counting myself. Everyone is too lazy and uses a standard drag bar or flips their stockers. I say GO FOR IT! Here is a pic of what I did to my top tree to cover the holes - Just some bolts/washers. Lemme know how you make out!

Yes you can. You absolutely can. Just not with lowering springs. And the benefit of the clip ons mounted there instead of drag bars is that you can adlust the angle of the pull back...and they look cooler than drag bars.

Simmy, yeah, I ran the wires through the bars because they were not dimpled (but not through the riser holes). I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the bar in the area where the switch housings would be. No, you don't need to cut & solder the wires. You will need to un-pin the factory plugs. Very easy to do and you don't need to buy a special tool (atleast not for the switch housing plugs) just a small screw driver. But remember to write down what color wire goes into what hole on the plug! The plugs have numbers on them where each wire enters. I didn't run the wiring through the riser holes. BTW, YOUR riser holes will be alot smaller than the first pic I posted. Pre 04 Sportsters have riser bushings so the holes are big. Your bike does not have riser bushings so the hole is quite a bit smaller and it's not machined...just plain old holes. Honestly, I think the holes kind of look cool anyway.

Last edited by mreed; 08-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Where are you in Ohio anyway? if you're not too far away you could just ride over here some afternoon & I can help you install them. Ship them to me ahead of time & I can powdercoat them so they'll be ready when you get here.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told by numerous techs and people who have tried it that once you push your fork tubes up through the top tree to allow enough clamp space, your fork legs don't have 100% travel and will hit your bottom tree. I've seen the marking of how far mine travel and didn't think it was enough, just sayin'. I'm not certain on this, but I wouldn't try it.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I was told by numerous techs and people who have tried it that once you push your fork tubes up through the top tree to allow enough clamp space, your fork legs don't have 100% travel and will hit your bottom tree. I've seen the marking of how far mine travel and didn't think it was enough, just sayin'. I'm not certain on this, but I wouldn't try it.
Gotcha...but yeah, it's fine. The guy riding the bike I put them on is 230 lbs. If ANYTHING on a Sportster was going to bottom out he would cause it...and even if it does it wouldn't be anydifferent than bottoming out with lowering springs except that the lower tree would be a bump stop.

Last edited by mreed; 08-29-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to going to clip-on's.

MREED, I'm just outside of Akron, OH and I would be more than willing to ride over and have them powder coated. Sounds great! Where are you in IN? I need a destination anyway, tired of riding around town and nowhere to go except back home or to work.

Quick Reply: Clip-on's: Question about upper Tree.