Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to pick up a GPS, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Thet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to pick up a GPS, suggestions?

I'm getting ready to take a trip on my Nightster from Macon, IL to Las Vegas, NV, a total one way trip of about 1700 miles. I'm wanting to pick up a decent GPS. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'd like it to be at least water resistant, but then again, I don't foresee riding too much in rain.
Also, anyone know of a way to charge a GPS unit from the motorcycle's battery?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
3skulls
Tourer

I have seen people hook up ways to charge while riding. Check out this thread - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...heap-mods.html

I would go ahead and look for a weather proof one. You never know when you are going to get caught in a pop up shower or even fog. I know they cost some money.

Sounds like an awesome trip, be safe..

Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

You know - it`s fun to get lost on a scoot.

My buddy has one (Nuvi) - bought the kit for his bars and hard wired the charging system so it just plugs into the handle bar holder - easy to remove and put into his cage.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this one pops on and off of my bike and works well with my cell phone and my gloves:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/zumo550_ownersmanual.pdf

Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM
blippo
Tourer

I have the Garmin zumo 550 and it works great

Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

if you have a battery tender then this is your best bet, i bought one of these and keep it in my fork bag for both cell phone and GPS usage
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...cig-adapt.html

Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
LouEyez
Cruiser

I've had both the zumo 550 and the tomtom rider 2...I like the tom tom better but they are both both very good units made specifically for motorcycles.
the zumo is the one that harley sells if ever,

have a fun trip, which i could be joining you

L

Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
matt_883
Advanced

I use my Nuvi from my car. I bought a ball mount from Ebay that my GPS cradle fits onto. I screwed that on my windshield. I also bought a HD battery tender and a cig adapter from O'Reilly's that hooks onto the battery tender. I put loosely tied zip ties all the way up the windshield on the wire harness and under the tank that the GPS cord routes from my left side saddlebag all the way to the windshield. I'll post pics soon and this works perfect for me. Didn't see the need to spend $500+ for a motorcycle specific GPS when I knew I could retro fit mine from my car to work on my bike. I have a sandwich bag in my tool kit that I can throw on and zip it closed over the GPS if I get caught in the rain.

-Matt

Old 08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer

I have the Tom Tom Rider 2. Its fully waterproof. Comes with a secure handlebar mount that has worked well for over 5,000 miles. The mount also comes with all of the wiring so it can be connected directly to the battery. The mount contains the regulator for the power for the GPS. Very easy to install.

It also comes with scala rider bluetooth headset. The GPS links to the headset and also to your phone so you can hear driving instructions or talk on the phone (I haven't tried this) while riding.

The screen works well in most light conditions and is set up for left hand operation and works while wearing gloves.

I also downloaded a software application called Tyre that is free. It allows me to plan a route using google maps and then download the route as an itinerary into the GPS.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
primostoy
Tourer

I have a garmin nuvi 255 that I have hooked up to my bike, although its not waterproof, it did not cost me a arm and leg either. I got a mount off of ebay that mounts to the handlebars for like $12, I bought a cigarett lighter type hook up and wired it to my electrical system so it charges the garmin as I ride, works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Wanting to pick up a GPS, suggestions?