Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to pick up a GPS, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Before you choose a GPS, you need to decide if you want to be able to "pre-plan" your route by taking the roads of your choice, or will you be happy just letting the GPS tell you how to get from point A to point B by either the fastest or shortest route.

A big difference between the cheaper vs. more expensive GPS units is the ability to map out the route of your choice ahead of time.

This ability is usually listed in the Tech Specs info for the GPS. Look for the spec that says ROUTES. If the specs don't have a listing for Routes or it's listed as Routes=0, this means the GPS does not have route planing. Units that have route planing will typically be listed as Routes=10 (or higher).

If you're interested in riding back-roads and seeing out of the way places while traveling, I highly recommend a GPS that has route capabilities.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
mrs1700
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out RAM mounts, they have rubber/aircraft aluminum mounts to took any electronic to any vehicle. I got ane of those for my Nuvi that I used in my car, and then installed a hardwire kit with inline fuse (20 bucks) I got off eBay. Soldered ring connectors to and put them to the terminals and ran the wire up under the tank. Works great. The RAM mounts have rubber connections to dampen vibrations. They shake less then my mirrors.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said the garmi nuvi with a ram mount works great. I already had one and didn't see the need to buy another one a month later. I can hear it give alerts (just not what its saying) can select things with gloves on via the touch screen. sure its not waterproof but I can easily pop it off and pit it in a pocket if I need to.

With the experience of my $150 Nuvi 255, I have a hard time justifying $600 for a 550 or 650.

As charley said though a route planner is a nice feature if you are having to buy one.

BTW if you are using a battery tender plug and a cigarette adapter, be sure to unplug it if the bike sits some. I had that little red light drain my battery when I didn't ride for 2 weeks and it was annoying as heck.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Recon Dad
Cruiser

Besides being weatherproof you need a GPS that is vibration proof. I went with the Garmin Zumo 660 with the Harley handle bar mount. Made for a Harley to withstand the vibration.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Chips
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Recon Dad
Besides being weatherproof you need a GPS that is vibration proof. I went with the Garmin Zumo 660 with the Harley handle bar mount. Made for a Harley to withstand the vibration.
I use an inexpensive nuvi on my bike ( 2 years now ) and have had no problems with vibrations.

I have not heard of anyone having vibration problems.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
SaberWuf
Intermediate

I too run a cheap nuvi w/ cheap ebay mount. no probs even at 90+ mph

Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Thet
Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. My parents agreed to give me their Garmin Nuvi 255w, so now all I need to do is buy a RAM mount for it and buy/install a cig port.

Can't wait for this ride!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I picked up the Nuvi 550 because it is weather resistant. Not that I ride in the rain, but you always stand a chance of getting caught in it. The Nuvi that your parents have should work well for you.

I use the software called Microsoft Streets & Trips which costs about $50. This allows me to create trips with way points and save them on my computer. It also allow me to export them to my Nuvi 550. This is much easier then trying to create a trip in the GPS unit itself. You will have to check and see if your model will allow you to import these trip files. Just something else to concider.

Jim

Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys my Zumo 550 is on the way at the moment. My last crazy solo trip convinced me that for me it made sense. Many of you know I ride alone and take off for a weekend. Part I have never shared is I have zero sense of direction so I get lost at times. Which can be fun BUT being a chick riding alone I should have a backup plan to getting lost. Currently that is stopping on the side of the road with my Iphone.
Anyhow
1. Power. Has anyone hardwired the cord? If so where did you run it so that it was ideally out of the way? I have a pig tail but use it to keep my phone charged and in winter for my heated gloves (I know I am a whimp you dont need to tell me). So if I can attach it I want to.
2. DUMB question. I see you can listen to MP3. Do I have to attach to a speaker? Is there one built in? If I have to attach to speaker or headphones does it have to be Blue tooth or is there a headphone jack on the unit. I figure a few songs on a SD card would be nice to have.
3. Is it easy to up load points of interest? And is it possible to find a database of Harley dealers if you didnt buy it from HD?
Any other tips or advice?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
Guys my Zumo 550 is on the way at the moment. My last crazy solo trip convinced me that for me it made sense. Many of you know I ride alone and take off for a weekend. Part I have never shared is I have zero sense of direction so I get lost at times. Which can be fun BUT being a chick riding alone I should have a backup plan to getting lost. Currently that is stopping on the side of the road with my Iphone.
Anyhow
1. Power. Has anyone hardwired the cord? If so where did you run it so that it was ideally out of the way? I have a pig tail but use it to keep my phone charged and in winter for my heated gloves (I know I am a whimp you dont need to tell me). So if I can attach it I want to.

The Zumo is designed to be hardwired. You'll probably want to have another, separate 2 pin SAE pigtail (Battery Tender type) installed. It's best if connected to a "switched" circuit so that it turns off when the ignition is shut off. Since you have a "C" model Sporty, here's what I did. I brought my GPS pigtail up through the inside of the handlebar riser and let the short, 1.5" end just hang out of the top of the backside of the riser underneath the speedo. It's barely visable this way when the GPS cable is disconnected. The riser has a removable (2 screws) backplate which makes it easy to install.

2. DUMB question. I see you can listen to MP3. Do I have to attach to a speaker? Is there one built in? If I have to attach to speaker or headphones does it have to be Blue tooth or is there a headphone jack on the unit. I figure a few songs on a SD card would be nice to have.

You'll need a speaker or headphones if you want to hear the GPS voice commands, music or anything else. The Zumo 550 has stereo bluetooth, so your best option is a set of bluetooth earbuds or headphones. That beats the he!! out of having a cord stretched between the bars and your head flopping around in the wind. Some of the newer helmets on the market are being designed to accommodate built-in bluetooth speaker systems and include speaker "pockets" in the helmet.

Now, if you want to go one step further, your iPhone can be bluetooth paired to the Zumo, then the Zumo to your helmet. The Zumo will act as a controller, sending music (or anything else) from your iPhone through to your helmet. The GPS will always have priority, and will interrupt any music in order to announce GPS voice info.

In case you're one of those people who feel the need to use your cell phone while riding, along with GPS and music, this all works seamlessly with a headset like the Cardo Scala Rider G4.

3. Is it easy to up load points of interest? And is it possible to find a database of Harley dealers if you didnt buy it from HD?
Any other tips or advice?

YES, but as always, read the manual that comes with the Zumo.
You can download a Harley dealership database from the POI Factory HERE. Of course the way dealerships are folding these days, look for frequent updates.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Wanting to pick up a GPS, suggestions?