Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Street_Rod_Guy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool changing handle bars

OK.. see how many I can get to chime in with their two cents worth..
I got a '96 Sportster.. been getting a few items taken care of so my girlfriend and I can ride it this Fall.
Anyway,.. the mirrors that are on it,.. well -- I can't see anything.. LOL
Someone told me the handle bars that are on it aren't 'original'. I think they said they were 'drag bars'. They are pretty flat from side to side.
I figure since they are so flat is why the mirrors are so low and I can't see behind me out of them..

I guess I need to check on buying a new set of handle bars with more rise to them to get the mirrors higher.
SO what all is involved with changing out the handle bars. It "looks" like most of the stuff comes off with a few screws here and there. what kind of issues might I run into. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

Wondered if the wiring might be too short when I make the bars rise higher,..

What about getting off the handle bar grips. Is there a way to remove them,.. What's the easiest way. Was hoping I could reuse them...
Appreciate any and all help you folks can provide.

OH - as a side note I already put some of those two inch risers on the mirrors to get them up higher.. Not high enough. I am looking at my shoulders :-(
And I have a feeling putting real tall mirrors on it would make it look 'goofy'.
Hadn't saw any mirrors that stick out 'further' so I could see around myself.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have drag bars and the mirrors aren't too bad. You know they tilt up and down, right?

Also, changing the bars isn't a big deal. Everything comes off pretty easy, just make sure you put the bars on right and don't pinch any wires.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
maduxfn31
Tourer

try relocating the mirrors below the handle bars see if that works before you buy new bars

Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
DaneKirk
Intermediate

Is there a kit to relocate the mirrors UNDER the handlebars? I would stay away from raising the handlebars too much because I know with apes the handlebars are not much, but all the wiring and lines are expensive if you need them. I think apes for my bike would cost me around $600.

Last edited by DaneKirk; 08-24-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Flipping the mirrors involved simply taking them off and putting them underneath. No extra parts required, only like 5 minutes.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaneKirk
Is there a kit to relocate the mirrors UNDER the handlebars? I would stay away from raising the handlebars too much because I know with apes the handlebars are not much, but all the wiring and lines are expensive if you need them. I think apes for my bike would cost me around $600.
With 16" bars, new wiring and cables, and my carb tuned it was $1200!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
DaneKirk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X04D
Flipping the mirrors involved simply taking them off and putting them underneath. No extra parts required, only like 5 minutes.
That easy eh? Looks like I will be doing that on my bike as soon as I get back to the good old US of A. Did that work for you?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Street_Rod_Guy
Novice

I have drag bars and the mirrors aren't too bad. You know they tilt up and down, right?
yeah... tried all angles for the mirrors
Up and down doesn't do me any good. UP they look up at my shoulders,.. if I tilt them up where it shows over my shoulders I am looking at the sky.
lower is my waist, even lower is my legs, etc..
I car can pull up behind he at a red light,.. and I still can't see them at all.
Just not enough angle to see around and see behind... if I get 'taller' mirror stems.. they set WAY up high above the handle bars, and looks pretty goofy.

Had an idea "maybe" taller handle bars would look OK... and then the mirrors would still look OK mounted on them

I don't thing mounting them lower is an option.. I will check that out.... I have a feeling my arms will be in the direct line of sight when I
try to look at the mirrors,.. but I'll double check and see.
Thanks for asking... always a good idea to start with the basics

Last edited by Street_Rod_Guy; 08-24-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DaneKirk
That easy eh? Looks like I will be doing that on my bike as soon as I get back to the good old US of A. Did that work for you?
It didn't work for me because I don't have stock mirrors. Mine are shaped oddly and get in the way of the turn signals. Once I pick up a stripped bolt removal tool I'll be relocating my signals so I can flip the mirrors.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Street_Rod_Guy
Novice
Cool

Ya know.. I re-read your post again.. figured out you were probably talking about the handle bars swivel up and down..
I saw that.. not sure I'd get enough height.. but it's something to look into.

Looked about mounting the mirrors under below the handle bars.. That won't work because the mirrors will hit the gas tank as I try to turn..
SO I'm still trying to find the best option.

Quick Reply: changing handle bars