Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we really need the heat-shields?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wasn't that many years ago that Harley's didn't have heat shields. They came right from the factory with nothing more than single wall pipes....

Yeah, they turned gold, brown, etc., and most of the old time bikers have scars up and down their right leg from 'pipe burns'.

Some companies make what are known as 'double wall' pipes, and I have a set of these on my 1996 EVO WideGlide.

The double walled step tuned Hooker drag pipes I'm using are actually a tube within a tube. As you can see from the below picture, after a few years of use they look as good as new..

(They sound pretty good as well. Here is a short audio/video of the EVO WideGlide with the step tuned drag pipes at idle);

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/96WIDEGLIDE.MPG

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 08-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
gashmonkey
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 48 and before i changed the exhausts i road around withe the standards with no heat shields, i didnt burn myself once, and thought the blueing looked pretty good. i now have short shots but have put the shields on cause they dont look very good without.
its down to personal preferance.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmarino14
I didn't start this thread..... and another thing you don't know me you old bat so keep your stupid *** remarks to yourself.
wow...you really told her...you big tough man...

Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM
est79
Intermediate

I dig the wrap look...I would go that route.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the shields off mine the first day I got it home. The pipes look good all blued/golden and I have never once got burnt or near burnt from them. I ride about every day and have logged about 3500 miles with out shields this summer and I am still alive and the bike hasn't caught fire.
Shields are there probably there just like the "HOT" on the McDonalds coffee cup, the world is full of idiots and some clown will get burnt and sue.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the shields are more for looks, but they do reduce the temps if you bump the pipes with something.
Harleys have the pipes in the way unlike some other bikes where they can use thin, light single wall pipes away from the rider.

The pipes on my old Triumph were quite thin and light, on the Harley they weigh a ton...

On my old Triumph, the pipes turned slightly gold at the head (rich mixture), on the newer Triumph I had they turned dark blue for over a foot, and looked very nasty (lean burn).

I would like to remove the shields, but the pipes would look nasty and be real hot, and in the way...

I have heard wrapping the pipes makes them rust out?

Brett

Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grancuda
I took the shields off mine the first day I got it home. The pipes look good all blued/golden and I have never once got burnt or near burnt from them. I ride about every day and have logged about 3500 miles with out shields this summer and I am still alive and the bike hasn't caught fire.
Shields are there probably there just like the "HOT" on the McDonalds coffee cup, the world is full of idiots and some clown will get burnt and sue.

That does look pretty cool.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
rmarino14
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cpitch
wow...you really told her...you big tough man...
I sure did....... I guess your here to help her out right big guy..... I answered a question in this thread and for some reason a few of you feel it's ok to start sh*t with people you don't even know. In real life you wouldn't say a fu*king word to me on the street because most people like you on these types of boards are cowards and only act tough behind a keyboard.

I'm done with this thread and I hope the guy got the answer to his question.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarino14
I sure did....... I guess your here to help her out right big guy..... I answered a question in this thread and for some reason a few of you feel it's ok to start sh*t with people you don't even know. In real life you wouldn't say a fu*king word to me on the street because most people like you on these types of boards are cowards and only act tough behind a keyboard.

I'm done with this thread and I hope the guy got the answer to his question.
Perhaps some anger management is in order? here ya go...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Illusion

I like the full wrap shields on my Vance and Hines pipes as they help maintain the illusion of fatter pipes--which in my opinion is why full wrap shields exist, the fat look. Trying to look cool

Oh, and don't ride in shorts--that looks stupid regardless.

Quick Reply: Do we really need the heat-shields?