Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we really need the heat-shields?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Try 600 to 700 degrees F about 4" away from the exhuast port..
I don't mind the Blue colors, but when I tuck for a turn I get against the pipes,,
Heat shields are stayin on mine.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 AM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Running without heat shields or heat wrap is (IMHO) for trailer queens. If you really ride your scoot, you'll want something there, or you'll burn the **** out of yourself eventually, and burn your pants fairly often.
My bike is the farthest thing in being a "trailer queen". Why can't people have their bikes setup the WAY they want without someone saying something stupid?

Your absolutely right the pipes are hot and if your pants get too close for too long you will get burn marks on pants (I haven't in a long time though but it will happen). Now if your stupid enough to ride in shorts I don't care if you have shields or not your going to get burned bad. Skin burns at around 130 F and I bet shields are way above that temp.

Just like riding I know the risks...... I like the look of the pipes being blue, I wouldn't get that look with the shields on. My bike my choice but don't make generalized comments.

Last edited by rmarino14; 08-21-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

They're not so much 'heat shields' as they are pretty shiny things. Ever touch one after the bike is hot? There's not insultation there. I think they just hide the blueing. Get rid of them if you want.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No you don't need heat shields, my Super Trapps don't have any and I don't miss them. What ever you do don't put that stupid heat wrap on like people always recommend, that stuff has been proven for over 20 years to actually increases the heat layer around the pipes which is the exact opposite of what the stuff is suppose to do.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the only reason the heatsheilds are there is so the pipes look good after a couple weeks of riding/blueing/rusting.. aftermarket pipes have better chrome.. there is no way you are gonne burn your pants unless you have plastic pants on cotton and wool dont burn with out a flame.. bare skin is a differant story, your legs might end up looking like mine..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed some Rush slip ons and left mine off so I didn't scratch anything. I ended up leaving them off becasue I felt it gave it an 'older' look....I haven't replaced them yet. FYI, I wantto leave this bike as stock as possible. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states require them for inspection.I know Pa does.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finished a ride, took a shower, decided to check my oil in short pants and burned my leg on the heat shield! Leave em on!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 AM
cool granny 48
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmarino14
My bike is the farthest thing in being a "trailer queen". Why can't people have their bikes setup the WAY they want without someone saying something stupid?

Your absolutely right the pipes are hot and if your pants get too close for too long you will get burn marks on pants (I haven't in a long time though but it will happen). Now if your stupid enough to ride in shorts I don't care if you have shields or not your going to get burned bad. Skin burns at around 130 F and I bet shields are way above that temp.

Just like riding I know the risks...... I like the look of the pipes being blue, I wouldn't get that look with the shields on. My bike my choice but don't make generalized comments.
I think the "Trailer Queen" reference was directed
at you & not your bike...

My question is, if you already know all the above,
Why start 2 different threads asking the same
dumb *** question?

I'll have to agree with the "Trailer Queen" post.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
rmarino14
Tourer

Originally Posted by cool granny 48
I think the "Trailer Queen" reference was directed
at you & not your bike...

My question is, if you already know all the above,
Why start 2 different threads asking the same
dumb *** question?

I'll have to agree with the "Trailer Queen" post.
I didn't start this thread..... and another thing you don't know me you old bat so keep your stupid *** remarks to yourself.

Quick Reply: Do we really need the heat-shields?