Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FuelPak Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 09:31 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
|
Road Warrior
Default Another FuelPak Thread

I took out my FuelPak this morning.

I noticed my bike was running like absolute crap when using it. It would rev on its own when warming up, stall a couple times like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It would pop as I rode, both accelerating and decelerating. If I let off the throttle it would feel as if it just caught a **** ton of a resistance.

I used the proper map for my set up (V&H 3" Slip Ons, 1200 Big Bore Kit, Stock A/C). Even confirmed with V&H rep.

Took it out and went for a ride. Feels like my old bike again. Only thing I miss is the throttle response the FP gives (if that makes any sense).

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Old 08-19-2010 | 10:41 PM
2008nightster
Advanced

Im interested to know aswell.. is

Old 08-19-2010 | 10:57 PM
DaneKirk
Intermediate

I just installed a fuelpak on my 07 XL1200C and did not have any major issues like this. The first thing I would check is to make sure you calibrated the fuelpak correctly as per the following steps--

5. As the next procedure, after you have entered in your values for the first 18 modes, press the
mode select button to move to mode 19. Fully twist open the throttle and return to idle
position to calibrate the Fuelpak to your bike.

6. By pressing the mode select button twice, move to mode 21 and verify that it reads “0” with the throttle
closed, “50” at approximately half-throttle and “99” when fully opened; if not, repeat step 5. Do not proceed
to step 7 until mode 21 is verified.

I would check these again and see if that might be your problem. If you did all this multiple times then I would venture to say you might have a faulty unit.

Old 08-19-2010 | 11:18 PM
just4fn
Intermediate

which map were you using. If there were negative numbers, was the negative sign lit? Did you tripple check the settings along with the calibration? I know I transposed my map and it ran like crap. I thought this is bad. I rechecked the map and all was right, I was just using the wrong map.

Old 08-19-2010 | 11:24 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
|
Road Warrior

I checked it twice. I'll plug it back in tomorrow and try it one more time.

Old 06-30-2013 | 01:41 PM
Saxmanagement
Stage I
Default fuelpak surge/stall problem solved

Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjöld
I took out my FuelPak this morning.

I noticed my bike was running like absolute crap when using it. It would rev on its own when warming up, stall a couple times like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It would pop as I rode, both accelerating and decelerating. If I let off the throttle it would feel as if it just caught a **** ton of a resistance.

I used the proper map for my set up (V&H 3" Slip Ons, 1200 Big Bore Kit, Stock A/C). Even confirmed with V&H rep.

Took it out and went for a ride. Feels like my old bike again. Only thing I miss is the throttle response the FP gives (if that makes any sense).

What the hell am I doing wrong?
I just spent well over a grand for Big Radius 2 into 2, Fuelpak LCD and HD Heavy Breather for my 2012 dyna FXDC. After installing everything and setting up the FP it ran like crap after it warmed up....surging, coughing and dying......I had to nurse it back home twice. I've not ridden it since because of the safety issue of getting creamed on the road.....Today, I was intent on putting everything back to stock so I could ride but ran the FP setup one more time. Lo and behold, I had missed one very important step......step #5, last page........it is written in BOLD letters but i didn't see it the first five times I ran the setup. After "calibrating the Fuelpak to my Bike" it runs like a scalded cat with no surge, loping, hesitation or miss.......follow that step very accurately...when to power down the system etc.....and if that is your problem you will be a happy camper in about five minutes. Just saying.

Old 06-30-2013 | 04:02 PM
fourburgs
Tourer

5. As the next procedure, after you have entered in your values for the first 18 modes, press the
mode select button to move to mode 19. Fully twist open the throttle and return to idle

position to calibrate the Fuelpak to your bike.

6. By pressing the mode select button twice, move to mode 21 and verify that it reads “0” with the throttle
closed, “50” at approximately half-throttle and “99” when fully opened; if not, repeat step 5. Do not proceed
to step 7 until mode 21 is verified.
This step is Not for sportsters.. That thing is a hit or miss item. Some people love it some don"t. I am one who doesn't . I removed mine after having same issues as you and when I got on it to pull away from a truck coming at me it stumbled.... Well it stumbled its way to the trash can......

Old 06-30-2013 | 09:55 PM
mr_bungle
Advanced

i only had problems with my fuel pak when i had the screamin eagle slip ons . now that i have the VH big radius no more popping no more high reving at idol which was weird . but i have no problems now that i have the big radius . and i feel more response from the throttle .

Old 07-01-2013 | 07:31 AM
madchemist24
Road Master

Not liking my fp right now.

Got vh blackout 2:1. Been on over 2 yrs running the map from the vh website (which i wrote into my book as well). A month ago, I changed my ac. The bike ran for ****.

Went on the site and found they had a new map this pipe that was completely different then the original. Wrote that one in the book ... double checked what I had originally in the fp matched what I had written down just in case then changed to the new map. This was way worse.

Called vh about 20 times. they gave me some settings to change on each call. Nothing worked.

Went back to original ac with original map. Bike does not run as good as it did before I messed with it.