Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
girlierider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats

I would like to start a thread on hdforums members opinion (pros/cons) on seats for the sporty models. Your experiences and where you purchased them. Thanks to all

Old 09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Seats

I'm running the stock seat on my '05 1200C.

I put a lot of miles on my Harley's (especially the 1200C) and "daily runs" of 300+ miles are common.

To me the stock seat is very comfortable, even on long hauls, and I can't see any reason of swapping it out for something else.

From what I've read in various Threads many Sportster owners have problems with the stock seat, even on short <100 mile rides.

But I have a pretty slim build (6' 2", 185 pounds, 32" waist) and the stock seat "fits me" perfectly. No problems at all with any discomfort.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Oldcruz
Intermediate

I have an 07 XL883L. I'm 5'7" 200#, and I like the stock seat just fine. I've got 1000miles in three weeks and no problem.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

I think those 2 must have killed off all the nerve endings in their butts if they think the stock block is "just fine"!

I tried the H-D Badlander first....wasn't much better than the stock. I finally ended up with the Mustang Vintage set. It is very comfortable and it didn't raise me up any higher than about 1/2 inch...which was a concern because I was barely flat footing the bike. It also pushed me forward...which made the reach for the handle bars less taxing. Good thing that I have a tank bra on the bike, so my jackets don't scratch the bike up (even though I know the bra will scuff the clear coat...it is the lesser of 2 evils.) I got the 12" Vintage instead the 15" wide, so as to keep the slimmer looks of the bike. I am very happy with the seat. I got the Badlander through the dealer and the Vintage set through a retailer on eBay. (I paid $277, which included the shipping.) The Mustang only took me 10 or so minutes to install with the directions on their website.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorgirl57

I think those 2 must have killed off all the nerve endings in their butts if they think the stock block is "just fine"!
Well, riding an estimated 500,000+ miles on Harley's during the past 34 years (at least half of those on rigid frame Panhead's and Shovelhead's that really jolt your body) will do that to you...

But these 'rubber mounted' Sportsters (along with the rubber mounted Dyna's) are some of the smoothest Harley's I've ever ridden.

If you are looking for a 'cushy ride' go with the Road King.. I took mine out for a little ride yesterday and it's like riding on a couch.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Fireitup
Intermediate

My stock seat was a solo that comes with the standard sportster and it has to be the worst seat ever put on a bike. I've had stock seats on bikes back in the 70's that were like sitting on clouds comparded to that '05 solo seat off my standard no joke. 20 miles and i'am off the bike walking around. I bought corbins in the past and i always liked them so i went with the corbin classic solo with backrest. I rode from houston to mobil ala. only stopping for gas and never thought about my *** one time, comfortable all the way riding in four states in one sittting. Plus it looks good on top of the comfort. As far as where i bought it, i order most of my stuff from dennis kirk. I been buying from them for over 20 years, they always have everything in stock and ship free for anything over $100 and it's there in 4 days. Oh yea they beat anybodys price by a buck, that and having everything in stock is a big plus in my book. On another forum i've seen people order stuff like seats ect. and there backordered half the time. They end up waiting weeks and months for there orders. Plus all new corbins lock to the bike, something i like with a big bucks ignition under the seat.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a search on this forum about seats you'll see lots of threads.

But, to answer your question, I love my Sundowner.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still running on my stock seat. I've gotten used to it and can handle long road trips with ease.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

Sundowner here. Way better then the stock for me...

Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
ggold
Advanced

I went with the pillow seat #52109-04 stock seat got to me, I don't have any cushion back there. The seat looks kind of puffy on the bike 06 1200c, but it sure is comfortable on long rides. Found the seat on e-bay for about 40.00 cheaper than list (brand new) also picked up a solo seat, it pushes me to far forward I feel , thinking of selling that one. I'm about 5'9" 200

Quick Reply: Seats