Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service from dealer hardly any oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 1000 Mile Service from dealer hardly any oil?

So I got the 1000 mile service done and I'm at 2700 miles now. So 1700 miles after my oil change. The bike is not leaking oil, but when I check the level cold it's not registering on the dipstick @ all??? When I check it hot, it comes up just to the bottom of the dipstick right on the "add" mark. Obviously, I'm going tomorrow to pick-up a quart of oil. I did not have synthetic put in the bike, I'm running the HD oil that they use at the dealer and I assume it's conventional as I told them to just do their "normal" 1000 mile service. Bike seems to be running fine, although I'm thinking today it sounded a bit odd and had a slight vibration to it at highway speed. I'm sure it's just my mind fing with me. So do you think this could have caused any damage if it's at the "add" line when hot and not registering when cold? Good thing I bought the service manual today and I can't wait to change my own oil this next time. I have not had good experience with my dealer at all.

Jim.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Jroymcd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sure you are checking it right?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Had my 1000 mile service recently. Had the same experience. Turns out they did not put enough oil back in. They checked the oil with the bike straight up. My owners manual says to check it leaning on the jiffy stand.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 AM
polizei
Cruiser

If you're reading it when the bike is hot on the jiffy stand, and it's low, then you need to add oil. No idea why the dealership wouldn't put enough oil in...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 AM
simmy711
Road Captain

Yeah, I rode it for about 30 minutes. Put it on the jiffy stand, took out the dip stick, wiped it clean, reinserted it all the way and pushed the cap back down. Popped the cap took the dip stick out and it's reading directly on the "add" mark. Then I let it sit for two/three hours, checked it again cold and it does not register at all. Service/Sales/Everything at my dealer has sucked. Only thing that has not gone bad is ordering from parts, but even they have attitudes.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They don't give a chit. every time i went in for a service or repair they would leave oil hand prints on the bike , everywhere. finally told them to wash the damn bike after. they had a dude there and that was his job. to wash bikes after servicing. he would go back there and half *** it.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
simmy711
Road Captain

Yeah, I'm going there this morning and picking up five quarts of oil, a filter, and a wrench. Adding a quart today to get it back to normal. Then I'm going to change it out in about another 1000 miles and do it myself. Jerks!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 4,161 Posts
Default Just curious

Did you check it when you first got it back? I bet the dealer checked it level. That will make more difference then the hot cold level. My Harley and most all I have dealt with say run to normal operating temperature,engine off and position motorcycle STRAIGHT UP and LEVEL. Dip stick all way in. It also says the cold setting should be in the middle of the crosshatch on the stick (middle of the two lines if you have a replacement temperature dipstick). You would normally use this cold setting when you change the oil and this was probably what the dealer used. My bike does not seem to make a great big difference between hot and cold. It does leaning on its side. Mine would be way too full if I leaned it over and did it. Everyone is always taking about levels and Sporty pukeing oil (mine Softail pukes some and ever other V-Twin I have had did. Has nothing to do with oil level in the tank as long as its not too full. Harley has two oil pumps. The scavenge (return) is larger then the main) Be sure to read your owners manual. Appears they have change it if Cazimere is correct but that depends on your year and may not apply to you. Note when checking transmission it is done level,hot and dipstick not screwed in. (for my bike) Everyone should check if the oil looks clean and the oil levels when they get there bikes serviced. Keeps the dealers honest. I keep them honest my doing my own work. Only way I found that works.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason the oil level is even lower when cold is because some of the oil drains back down into the engine. It's normal, and is why you need to warm up the engine oil before checking it. The oil will get pumped back up to the tank once you run the engine. Yes, some dealerships will keep the oil on the lower half, (about midway up the stick), of the stick to keep the oil from puking out the AC, but others will barely put the oil up the stick just to keep the 4oz's of oil to use on the next person's bike...(AKA..so they can skim a little oil from everyone and so they do not have to buy as much oil to do the services). Oh, and if you're just topping it off with a 1/2 QT or so, any oil will work, (HD, Synthetic or Dino). Most oils are Dino & Syn blend anyway.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 08-18-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,969 Likes on 4,161 Posts
Default Run back?

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
The reason the oil level is even lower when cold is because some of the oil drains back down into the engine. It's normal, and is why you need to warm up the engine oil before checking it. The oil will get pumped back up to the tank once you run the engine. Yes, some dealerships will keep the oil on the lower half, (about midway up the stick), of the stick to keep the oil from puking out the AC, but others will barely put the oil up the stick just to keep the 4oz's of oil to use on the next person's bike...(AKA..so they can skim a little oil from everyone and so they do not have to buy as much oil to do the services). Oh, and if you're just topping it off with a 1/2 QT or so, any oil will work, (HD, Synthetic or Dino). Most oils are Dino & Syn blend anyway.
Unlike most cars a Harley is dry sump and the oil does not run back to the engine from this tank were you check the oil unless the engine is running. Harley has two oil pumps stacked in its oil pump. One to pump it out and lube the engine. A slight thicker bigger one to insure it all goes back. You must realize it all does not go back but the quart or so left rest in pockets (least 1/4 quart in timing chain area) and that level stays about the same. That why a newly assembled engines need about 1 1/2 more quarts. However once running and then change it closer to the change amount.. The 200 degree heat expands expands the oil so you check it hot for final reading.

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile Service from dealer hardly any oil?