Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service from dealer hardly any oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just get a service manual and do the work myself. Obviously, your dealer don't care about you or your scoot.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on doing it yourself. Just be sure not to fill too full or you'll get blow-by through your air cleaner. On the jiffy, it should be about half way up the dipstick. If you're getting oil on the stick warm and can see oil in the tank visually you most likely didn't do any damage to your scoot.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My 1200 COLD will show Oil at Mid stick, dead center of add and full,,
when checked Hot It will show full to top mark. a half a quart rasies it from bottom add mark to mid stick when cold.

BUT If I move the bike the least little bit then check the oil cold It will show barely touching the stick.
Learned that the hard way,,had a big syringe out and pulled oil outta the tank.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

RULE #1 - If you have to let the dealer service your bike, NEVER leave their lot until you've checked the oil level. The stealers are notorious for shorting people a quart of oil on a service. They charge you a flat price for the service, and then make a few extra bucks by saving a quart of oil.

Why OP, would you go 1700 miles before ever checking your oil level? That should be done as part of every pre or post ride check.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, thank you for the replies and I agree, I should have checked the oil before 1700 miles for sure. So, here is what happened and I think everyone should read this as I found out some interesting things at my dealer. First off, I went in to pick-up some oil, a filter, and a filter wrench. Told the parts guy about the bike being low on oil, he referred me to service to have them check it out. They were very nice, told me to put a quart of oil in the bike and bring it in the following day (yesterday).

So here is the deal:

I checked the oil per the instructions in my manual. The manual states to check the oil with the bike on the jiffy stand.

Cold: Oil was not registering at all on the dipstick.
Hot: Oil was just level with the "add" mark on the dipstick.

Per the service guy (who was very nice and took the time to explain everthing for me)

Service guy: "The manual is wrong" They cut and paste parts of the manual from other bikes and for each year the manul is published. He says it's just wrong.

He checked the bike standing it straight up after I put the 1QT of oil in it:

Hot(because I rode it to the dealer): it was too full, I over filled it.

He checked it on it's jiffy stand:

Hot: it was on the "full" mark.

He siphoned about 1/3 of a qt out of the tank and that brought it down to half-way when it's on the side stand and almost to the full when straight up. He said you should always fill the bike to the midway point or slightly less when the bike is hot and vertical.

He said that the only bikes that should be checked on the side stand are bikes with a "swivel" dipstick that leans with the bike when it's put on the stand. Since the sporty has a fixed dipstick, it should be check when vertical. To me, this makes perfect sense.

So, the bike was short on oil, but only 1/2 qt and it appears they did this on purpose per their filling guide lines.

Thoughts???

Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I change the oil on my 2009 1200L, I fill it to half way on the dip stick on the sidestand.
Hot or cold, the level does not seem to change much, maybe 1/4 an inch.

I check the oil every other ride abouts, and always before a longer ride.

I don't seem to use any, or have any go into the air cleaner.
I have been running Mobil 1 15w50 or sometimes the 20w50 V twin oil.

Brett

Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it around the halfway range or a little lower then half on the dipstick after checking it hot. And screw the service department when it comes to maintenance. You should do it yourself any way so you'll know your bike. 60 bucks and you can get a manual. Worth every penny.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 1200 Low. Whenever I change the oil, I have 3 quarts ready and I change the filter also. I add oil to the filter until I can't add anymore, (usually takes about 2/3 qt). Once the filter is installed, I add the remaining oil. Total 3 quarts. This brings the hot level to the halfway mark on the dipstick.

Pretty simple task changing the oil, only takes me about 15 minutes. I like to change it about every 2500 miles. I think the oil gets too dirty to let it go much longer than that.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

I did order a service manual earlier this week and I bought everything I need to change the oil myself. I'm stoked today also, because my fishboy clamp and tank lift kit are arriving today and I'm lucky enough to be 10 miles from Summit Racing headquarters. I got the autometer clamp and didn't have to wait for shipping...LOL.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts
Default Learned something

Now I know why the people with Sportys are always saying run it at 1/2 and for the life of me could not figure why as long as you did not overfill it is OK but in reality they are overfilling it for the way I would check it. Afterall most of the time that is the position I run the bike in. UPRIGHT

Quick Reply: 1000 Mile Service from dealer hardly any oil?