Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter Lights

I converted my turn signals to run lights and turn signals this spring. Looking for some suggestions on making me more visible from behind.

Found these at JP Cycles, but for $224.00 to get the front and back seems PRETTY salty!!
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/320-...38&results=100

Thanks ahead for the help and suggestions.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I felt the same after doing the conversion so I picked up a LED strip light for ten bucks and siliconed it to the bottom of my rear mini bag (you could install it anywhere), it's really bright and only comes on with the brake. I just didn't trust cagers to see the slight difference in brightness between the rear running lights and the brake lights.
You can hardly see it when it's not on, it's visible in the rear view picture in my gallery below my signature.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Street_Rod_Guy
Novice

Originally Posted by Radalack17
I converted my turn signals to run lights and turn signals this spring. Looking for some suggestions on making me more visible from behind.

Thanks ahead for the help and suggestions.
Don't mean to hijack your thread.. but I also had the same question..
I was noticing the other day when I had the headlight on,.. the front turn signal lights were also on all the time. Then when I turned on the turn signals they would blink. I got to looking and the bulbs had two fillaments in them..
I noticed the back tail lights don't seem to work that way.. are they "supposed' too..?? does it depend on the make or style of bike, etc..

Would seem to me you'd need 'running lights' in the rear as much as in the front (maybe more). SO I have the same question.. are the rear turn signals supposed to serve as running lights,.. do you have to do a conversion on them (if so how).. etc..

Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 PM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 too has single filament bulbs in the rear. I dont know why HD did that.
I too put a turn/run/brake module on mine and love it.
I am wondering if our wiring harness can support dual filament bulbs for the rear. Of course that would require a new set of rear turns, perhaps off a Deuce.

As for the OP question, Additional LED strips can be had at most any auto parts store. Also check out http://www.dealextreme.com/ and see what LED conversion bulbs they have, you may get lucky and get an idea!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

am running a Brightass Lights BA-1 along with Hyperlites 3-ways in the back.
Pricey, but there's nothing brighter on the market.
Guaranteed to burn your retinas at night.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Radalack17
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Street_Rod_Guy
Don't mean to hijack your thread.. but I also had the same question..
I was noticing the other day when I had the headlight on,.. the front turn signal lights were also on all the time. Then when I turned on the turn signals they would blink. I got to looking and the bulbs had two fillaments in them..
I noticed the back tail lights don't seem to work that way.. are they "supposed' too..?? does it depend on the make or style of bike, etc..

Would seem to me you'd need 'running lights' in the rear as much as in the front (maybe more). SO I have the same question.. are the rear turn signals supposed to serve as running lights,.. do you have to do a conversion on them (if so how).. etc..

When I changed my rear turn signal lights to run/turn signal lights I had to replace the guts of the rear turn signals to dual filament housings.
I swore before I made the mods that my rear turn signals were running lights as well (on a '08 1200XLC), but the local HD stealer proved me wrong. Stupid if you ask me... The more light the better!

I have been using the dual filament housings with cheap LED bulbs from Pep Boys and haven't had any troubles yet with the wiring. People say the lights are pretty bright, but I know there are brighter lights out there and want them.