Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not many Irons

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
AmmoHouse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not many Irons

Sturgis is over and it was fun. I looked/took pictures of alot of bikes.
One thing I didn't see much....Irons!!!
I only saw 2.
One was a vendor (betterbaggers.com) which was kinda funny because they work on baggers. He said he loves the Iron and just can't see swapping it out and ride a bagger. I asked him if he has seen any and he said only mine.
I saw alot of nightsters. I was wondering if the Iron isn't as popular because of the smaller engine or what. Personally I don't mind the 883 at all (I'll get a 1200kit when money comes available) but I think the 883 is just fine for the driving I do...around town/to work/through the hills.
I know I've heard everybody say the Sportster is a girls bike...but they seem to like the looks of mine.
I personally don't care what others think...never have.
I got my Iron because I loved the look and the dealer said he's only sold 2 (one went to another state) so I definately don't have to worry about looking like everybody else here.
The local dealer didn't even have any Irons for sale during Sturgis...they did have 12 48's at one time unde the tent. I'm suprised they didn't even have 1 Iron!
Just wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 AM
polizei
Cruiser

Yup...I have to admit it's kind of embarrassing when a young girl (my age, ~21) rides a Harley and says she rides a 1200 and I only ride a 883. However, I mainly chose the Iron because it fits me well and I love the looks of it. I can add a 1200 kit later if I want more power, so I'm not worried at all.

I've only seen 1 other Iron around where I am.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about personal preference. I think a large percentage of Harley's are fugly, but that's me. I knew when I bought an Iron, that "everyone" on a Harley was gonna have a bigger, more powerful bike. This includes 5-3 110 lb women riding street glides, but who gives a rat's ***. If I thought another bike was what I wanted, I would have bought it. I would never sell my Iron, and would only consider adding a SG down the line for long hauls.

You have to realize one thing. People have a tendancy to get a little pissy and jealous when they see a guy who bought his dream bike for $7899 and is all smiles (although most would never admit it). Besides, for around $1500 (ballpark 1200 conversion), you will smoke most of em til 70, and that will really **** em off.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
2008nightster
Advanced

I have the 1200. I wouldnt mine riding a 883 to get a comparison... I wish they made a nightster flat black.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its not what people would choose to ride there with the little gas tank?

If you are taking a long trip, you might not want a bike with a range well under 100 miles?

Just how far can you go till the fuel light comes on?

When I looked for a bike, I knew I wanted the bigger gas tank as I was tired of looking for gas every 100 miles.

Brett

Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Rollo
Cruiser

the gas stops do not bother me... time for a break anyhow after 100-150 miles of riding. My larger tank friends agree.

Bigger isn't always better...at least that's what she said. (((RIMSHOT)))

Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
FLYING
Club Member

They have never been comfortable and vibrate like crazy unless you spen more than what they are worth to rebuild them!To me they are a in city bike at best!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Rollo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLYING
They have never been comfortable and vibrate like crazy unless you spen more than what they are worth to rebuild them!To me they are a in city bike at best!

Some flks said the same thing when I purchased a JEEP Wrangler... not comfy... bumby ride... noisy... not good for the long haul.

My wife and I love it... wouldn't have it any way. To each and its own I guess.... some like the rough utilitarian ride. Some like plush.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Default You're Right!

Originally Posted by Rollo
Some flks said the same thing when I purchased a JEEP Wrangler... not comfy... bumby ride... noisy... not good for the long haul.

My wife and I love it... wouldn't have it any way. To each and its own I guess.... some like the rough utilitarian ride. Some like plush.
You're right,some like riding them lets say 800 miles from the midwest to Sturgis. The some total was 2 this year! And we are not talking about a Wrangler. I have owned 2 and they do bounce etc but nothing like that ride does! You must be younger cause now I am into PLUSH!

Last edited by FLYING; 08-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
3skulls
Tourer

I have not seen another iron around town. A few nightsters and a few 48s. That's fine with me I would hate it if every other bike I saw was an iron. I'm sure there were plenty of bikes at sturgis with a peanut tank.

Quick Reply: Not many Irons