Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to vent.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
no_barcode
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to vent.

So I took my 09 Iron in for its 5000 mile service last week. I also mentioned to them that fork oil seemed to be seeping from the drain screws at the bottom of the forks, and there seemed to be oil around the rocker box too. Additionally, I asked them to check out the weird squeaking sound I can hear whenever I ride by a row of cars, trees, a wall, or something that will bounce the sound back to my ear. (it's really loud -- plain as day)

Well, they called me the next day to tell me that they got everything sorted but the squeak - nobody can hear it. Also, they found that the oil tank is leaking from the seams. I had them show me the leak and 09 Irons apparently have a damned plastic oil tank with a top and bottom half that are fused together somehow (why Harley, why?) Of course they have to order a new oil tank for me.

I get a little crazy when I'm without my bike for extended periods of time. So I decided to stop by the shop today and take it out for a short ride and then bring it back before they close (they still haven't installed the new oil tank but it's still rideable) Well, I stopped at a few places and then took off on the highway, that's when I noticed that the engine light was coming on every so often. Then, on my way back to the shop as I was going into a twisty on the highway my speedometer suddenly started dropping, it went all the way down to 10 mph (I was actually going 75 mph) Then all of the sudden it kicked back in.

Whatever. They're working on it again. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by no_barcode; 08-15-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: correcting beer induced typos
Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 AM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of all your troubles! Hopefully the mechanics will fix everything soon and figure out what that squeak is. Is your bike still under warranty?

I wonder why harley put plastic oil tanks on our irons? Is the replacement one plastic as well? I guess it can only take so much expanding and contracting before it cracks... Reminds me of how bmw uses plastic coolant expansion tanks... I had to replace three of them before reaching 50k miles. Switched over to an aluminum one and it's lasted over 60k so far.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Nothing is worse than being scootless. I hope they work it out so you can start disturbing the peace again!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My Oil Tank Is metal,,,I think,,

Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Most of the Sporty oil tanks are plastic, with metal covers (and the covers like to fall off).

Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM
no_barcode
Advanced

Originally Posted by ranalli7777
Sorry to hear of all your troubles! Hopefully the mechanics will fix everything soon and figure out what that squeak is. Is your bike still under warranty?

I wonder why harley put plastic oil tanks on our irons? Is the replacement one plastic as well? I guess it can only take so much expanding and contracting before it cracks... Reminds me of how bmw uses plastic coolant expansion tanks... I had to replace three of them before reaching 50k miles. Switched over to an aluminum one and it's lasted over 60k so far.
It is under warranty and they're being really great about trying to fix everything and whatnot.

I did ask if there's an aftermarket metal oil tank option, and the answer I got was: none from Harley. Kinda bums me out a little. I also asked if all Harleys are like this now days and they told me that Sportys are the only Harley bikes that use plastic oil tanks. I mentioned that I ride most of the year (including right up to when it snows and then as soon as it melts), so my bike probably gets pretty hot and then sits in the parking garage downtown and gets really cold. But they assured me that these tanks are manufactured with plastic that is designed to take extreme temperature changes and that this one probably wasn't sealed correctly when it was fabricated.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

The squaking could be either sound rebounding back from your aftermarket pipes, or check to see if you have a rubber mount somewhere on the exhaust (near the tail). On touring bikes you need to lube this rubber mount b/c they're prone to making "chirping" sounds when exhaust vibrates. Good luck & I'm sure they'll get your scoot fixed soon.