Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! what the hell happened to my iron!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 AM
ShadowSoldier777
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! what the hell happened to my iron!?

so i was going to relocate my spark plug coil... i did... i also removed the plastic from under the tank when i raised my tank and tied the wires now between the tank and frame everything was going smoothly and i got the look i wanted... last touch was removing the long spark plug wire and replacing it with another stock short 90* wire... when it came time to fire her up.... the haunting sound of it trying to start but not starting, then a loud gunshot!!!

flip switch to on, wait for the little engine light to turn off, hold down the run button and.... Chig chig chig chig POW!!...... oh crap.... try again and..... Chig chig chig chig chig chig chig.... its not starting.... try again..... chig chig chig chig then Chug.. Chug.. Chug.. clack clack clack clack......

now no more trying to start noise.... just scary clacking coming from my baby! why!?

i made sure everything was done carefully, didnt yank wires, was very careful not to pinch any wires when putting the tank back on top of them.... i think i blew my spark plugs cause when i took them out to check they were both black at the tops..... its not something electrical cause all my electrics work... what could have happened?

would one new possibly faulty spark plug wire cause both to blow? or what else could i have done wrong!? its my only way of transportation and the love of my life... someone please try and help ='(

Old 08-14-2010, 01:55 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you have the plug wires crossed? Maybe the coil plug is not plugged in all of the way. Thats all I can think of. try switching the plug wires and see what happens. Also sounds like you drained the battery, charge it up. You can pull those plugs and take a look at them.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 AM
ShadowSoldier777
4th Gear

i made sure everything was on snugly and in place correctly on the coil and wire end... even after it sounded like it blew i switched the short cable back to the original longer one and it still didnt start... i dunno what i did... im gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow to check it out but they dont work on bikes on the weekends... just wish i knew what happened =(

Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try crossing the plug wires. Your engine won't fire if the plug wires aren't connected to the right spark plug

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM
AnimalRides
Cruiser

Also, try checking the diagnostic code on the speedo. There's a sticky on the main page explaining how to do that.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You could also undo what you did and see if it works,if it doesn't then you know that you messed up someplace.When all else fails, go back to square one. no sense in spending 80 odd bucks an hour to the stealer to find someting you skipped.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 08-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowSoldier777
so i was going to relocate my spark plug coil... i did... i also removed the plastic from under the tank when i raised my tank and tied the wires now between the tank and frame everything was going smoothly and i got the look i wanted... last touch was removing the long spark plug wire and replacing it with another stock short 90* wire... when it came time to fire her up.... the haunting sound of it trying to start but not starting, then a loud gunshot!!!

flip switch to on, wait for the little engine light to turn off, hold down the run button and.... Chig chig chig chig POW!!...... oh crap.... try again and..... Chig chig chig chig chig chig chig.... its not starting.... try again..... chig chig chig chig then Chug.. Chug.. Chug.. clack clack clack clack......

now no more trying to start noise.... just scary clacking coming from my baby! why!?

i made sure everything was done carefully, didnt yank wires, was very careful not to pinch any wires when putting the tank back on top of them.... i think i blew my spark plugs cause when i took them out to check they were both black at the tops..... its not something electrical cause all my electrics work... what could have happened?

would one new possibly faulty spark plug wire cause both to blow? or what else could i have done wrong!? its my only way of transportation and the love of my life... someone please try and help ='(
+3 on checking for crossed plug wires first.

It's clacking instead of cranking because you've run the battery down. Recharge it.

You literally can't "blow your spark plugs". They are fouled, clean them.

If all that fails, take it to someone that's "mechanically inclined".