Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhaul truck on the look out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is your insurance co. paying - your rates will probably go up - If U-Haul knows who the renter is they should pay. I`d persue this.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Auckland
Tourer

Tell UHaul to give up the name or you will get it in the Police report. Either way. You will get the name.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The police will be able to get that name in a heart beat.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
btamburro
Advanced

Originally Posted by shiftharder
Why is your insurance co. paying - your rates will probably go up - If U-Haul knows who the renter is they should pay. I`d persue this.
The OP's Insurance will pay for the damages up front and go after the responsible party at the same time. This way, the plaintiff is compensated in a reasonable amount of time and repairs can begin or a replacement can be found. Once the responsible party (usually another insurance company) pays up, the insurance company will pay back the deductible to the plaintiff. Sometimes, the insurance company has to take legal means to get the other party to pay; this takes a long time, which is why they pay claims up front.

Each insurance provider may be slightly different, but that is how
Progressive handled my claim which was entirely the other driver's fault. My rate didn't go up, and I had my deductible back in my pocket within the month. (I did berate the other driver until he signed a confession on the spot, which sped up the process).

With eye witnesses and video tape, there is no way the OP's insurance rate is going to go up. Uhaul will end up paying all the damages. Hopefully the scum bag that was behind the wheel does some time/pays a hefty fine or has his/her license revoked for at least 1 year (I would vote for all 3!).

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
whapworth
Advanced

issue is that i want to be back on the bike asap.

Geico is pretty damn good, and not likely my insurance premiums will go up...looking more like an air tight case, police are involved, and geico will likely be able to subrogate all of the money back from either the ******** who did it or from the Uhaul insurance policy.

If i just went after Uhaul, my bike could be laid up for awhile. plan to follow cjmartin's advice...most of it relatively easy work that i already did most off.

will get video up of the act as soon as i can and get it on youtube...my poor bike is soooooooo friggin pissed off.

thank you all for the advice and concerns...i'll do my level best not to get screwed...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would definatly get a copy of the police report for your files

Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks man! Yeah they should not be able to rest thoes big trucks to just anyone. I mean if you driver a box truck for a living you have to have a CDL, but any clown can rent a Uhaul.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whapworth
Thank you all.

Yes, Uhaul knows, though they won't tell me.

Police are involved and I believe there is camera footage of the entire thing.

Filed claim with Geico, my insurer, so that they handle the entire situation.

As for the joint signature, i spoke with Geico and they said i have two options...
1. either i sign and the dealership doing the body work sign
2. i sign and the lendor (eaglemark) also signs.

CJ Martin...in your experience you elected to do a co-sing with the lendor, and were able to deposit the check without sending to the lendor...i can do all the work as well and would definitely prefer that option.

thank you all again, this sux
youre doing the right thing by going to the authorities/insurance and what not. you go an break someone's jaw, goodbye bike repairs and possibly goodbye bike. i'd be ready to kill too but don't get yourself caught up in some bullshit.