Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It’s a whole different bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
TN Back Roads
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It’s a whole different bike

Just installed: Screamin’ Eagle mufflers and stage 1 intake; PC III USB; and Progressive Suspension 12 ½” shocks on my 08 1200C. It’s like a different bike. I chose the SE mufflers because they let the motor sound like a Harley without being obnoxious. Just riding back roads the engine runs so much smoother (credit the PC III) and the bike now has rear suspension. Handling is noticeably better and my butt was saying Thank You! If anyone is contemplating these mods, go for it. You won’t be sorry. Just my opinion.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Thanks for the review! I need to do something to upgrade my rear suspension, but I just can't afford it! I don't know if I want to stay with stock height or go up in length a bit....

Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you like the bike better now. I had the Se slip on's and hated them becasue they are not super loud LOL! The PCIII is a must have mod in my book.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty cool stuff! You know what makes that bike ride even better? A decent set of fork springs. Reduced brake dive and a progressive rate spring really balances out the rear end.

TN Back Roads
Hang Around
TN Back Roads, PM me an address I'll send you a free set as our way of saying thanks for taking the time to drop a few positive words about our stuff!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced

Originally Posted by fox4
Awesome! Thanks for the review! I need to do something to upgrade my rear suspension, but I just can't afford it! I don't know if I want to stay with stock height or go up in length a bit....
I talked to a Progressve Suspension rep before deciding on shock length. He said that the longer the shock, the better the ride and more cornering clearance. The 12 1/2" shocks are one inch longer than stock and I really don't notice any difference reaching the ground when stopped. The bottom frame rails are still slightly lower at the rear (compared to the front). Keep your eyes open for someone selling slightly used PG shocks to save some money. You won't regret replacing what you have.

Last edited by TN Back Roads; 08-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Pretty cool stuff! You know what makes that bike ride even better? A decent set of fork springs. Reduced brake dive and a progressive rate spring really balances out the rear end.

TN Back Roads
Hang Around
TN Back Roads, PM me an address I'll send you a free set as our way of saying thanks for taking the time to drop a few positive words about our stuff!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Can't wait to put them in. I set you a PM.
Ron

Last edited by TN Back Roads; 08-12-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Dragan
Tourer

I did the same mods on my 09 883C, plus upgraded the front springs, added a fork brace and "toured" it out with bags, better seat, windshield and highway bar. Everything but the highway bar is quick detach for blasting around town, but in under 5 minutes its good to go for a mult-day road trip. My wife and I have toured extensively on it, and it's a really nice ride, even on 500 mile + days.
The progressives up front and the fork brace really lock down the front end...it really completes the package handling wise

Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced

I hear you Dragan-

As you see above Progressive Suspension has made my day by providing the front springs. I also have a quick detach windshield, Sundowner seat, low backrest with luggage rack, big honkin' MoCo travel bag that hangs over backrest and staps to seat if solo, or to rack if riding 2 up. Also have Iso grips. I have only had the bike three months (bought at a yard sale - really) so am working on it. I tried riding with the windshield and as with past experience, just don't like it for the uasual reasons - visibility and turbulance. To be honest, if I'm going 500 miles at this stage of my life, I'm taking the Vette. I hear you about the fork brace. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM

That's very similar to what I'm doing to my Nightster. Glad to hear that it makes such a big difference.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TN Back Roads
Just installed: Screamin’ Eagle mufflers and stage 1 intake; PC III USB; and Progressive Suspension 12 ½” shocks on my 08 1200C. It’s like a different bike. I chose the SE mufflers because they let the motor sound like a Harley without being obnoxious. Just riding back roads the engine runs so much smoother (credit the PC III) and the bike now has rear suspension. Handling is noticeably better and my butt was saying Thank You! If anyone is contemplating these mods, go for it. You won’t be sorry. Just my opinion.
Running the same set up on my Nightster (stage 1, PC III and Progressive 12 ½” shocks) except I have Drag Specialties slip ons with are a little louder than the Screamin' Eagles. Agree - they improve the bikes performance in every way

Quick Reply: It’s a whole different bike