Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb is starving at low rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone followoing my part on this thread?? Problem solved. Yess you can laugh aat a newbie, I won't take any offence, even I can laugh at my problem and fix. So, what I found was my battery bouncing around in the tray and shorting out against the battery cover & frame. I used heavy duty double sided tape from 3M taking down the rubber mat. Then strapped down the battery so It wont move at all. Sputtrering went away. I'd have never thought... Until, I went out to ride my bike to work just after getting it overhauled and it wouldn't start. I starting looking it over, noticed when I pushed the start button a small spark at the corner of the battery. Had it not been dark out, Id have never figured it out. Go figure.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
Anyone followoing my part on this thread?? Problem solved. Yess you can laugh aat a newbie, I won't take any offence, even I can laugh at my problem and fix. So, what I found was my battery bouncing around in the tray and shorting out against the battery cover & frame. I used heavy duty double sided tape from 3M taking down the rubber mat. Then strapped down the battery so It wont move at all. Sputtrering went away. I'd have never thought... Until, I went out to ride my bike to work just after getting it overhauled and it wouldn't start. I starting looking it over, noticed when I pushed the start button a small spark at the corner of the battery. Had it not been dark out, Id have never figured it out. Go figure.
Good catch, except for one small problem... once started, your bike should run without relying on the battery, you should be able to disconnect it completely and it should remain running on alternator (or generator) supplied current. Check the voltage across the terminals with the bike running, should be 13.5-15v if I recall. If 12 or less, then your charging circuit (alternator/regulator) needs further testing.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John_K: So you don't think the battery shorting out as I ride would have caused it to sputter? Since I strapped the battery down all that went away. Since you're there... What octane do you use? Would it be ok to use the regular gas (87)?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
John_K: So you don't think the battery shorting out as I ride would have caused it to sputter? Since I strapped the battery down all that went away.
I can't say it wouldn't, but I think it would be more likely on an EFI bike, or one with an ICM. I think yours has an ICM so, yeah... it's possible. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check the voltage output, it's quite easy. If your engine is running strictly on battery power, you could end up stranded somewhere.

Since you're there... What octane do you use? Would it be ok to use the regular gas (87)?
I've used a few tanks of 87 last year with no ill effects, the only time it would knock with that octane was when hard on the throttle from a standing start, and then only for a second or so. I believe I actually get better mileage with 87 than with the higher grades... I'm going to verify that this season for my own knowledge. Last year I used mostly 92