Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my V & H Slip-ons tonight WOW !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 AM
HeliRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my V & H Slip-ons tonight WOW !!

I installed my Vance & Hines Straightshots HS Slip-ons with the quite street baffles tonight and they sound awesome. I can only image what they would have sounded like if I had left the competition baffles installed. I wish I could have taken a ride to really hear what they are going to sound like going down the road, hopefully Sunday the rain will quit and I can take a ride.

Question, since I installed the quite street baffles will I have to rejet or can I wait awhile? I have read a lot of threats that say I only need to rejet if I go to a high flow air cleaner. But as loud as these pipes are I have to wonder.

Comments?

Thanks

Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Installed my V & H Slip-ons tonight WOW !!

You're letting more air possibly come out, but still pretty restricted at the air coming in.

Tuning might make things just a little better, but not enough to be worth it unless you open up the intake.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser

i have the same v&h slip ons w/quiet baffles on my 1200R and thought i could go without rejet. wrong! the dealer i bought the bike from had given me a coupon for free dyno test so i thought w.t.f. why not use it now. even though the bike seemed to perform ok, the dyno test showed i was off the charts LEAN at slow speed, almost ok at mid range, then leaned way out at the upper rpm. the tech said i had the power now of an 883, about 60h.p. I ended up putting in a yost power tube kit and a SE air cleaner kit and it evened things out on the dyno test. about 67/68 h.p. now. so for peace of mind, i would recommend rejetting.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heli...Loudness of pipes and rejetting really dont have anything to do with each other, although a poorly tuned carb will make a bike sound like crap. In theory, you don't have to rejet, however, it will be to your benefit if you do. If you dont have the cash now, save up your money and buy a jet kit ($90) or just the jets without the kit ($6) and a high flow A/C of your choice. You will not be sorry with the performance and new feeling of the bike. The main reason a lot of people will recommend a rejet when only doing pipes is because sometimes when the bike is too lean, the pipes will blue and discolor. I don't think you'll have the problem since you have heat shields over the V&H pipes so those should not blue. If you look under your stock heat shields, Im sure you will see a little bluing if you haven't rejetted yet. You're going to get that even with the stock pipes as it's inevitable not to get some discoloration on the pipes with the way they come from the factory with the lean carb. Hope this helps a little....Good luck and enjoy those new pipes!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser

Thanks guys, cash is an issue right now for the stage 1 upgrade. So based on your comments I will ride and have fun for the rest of the year and upgrade to the stage 1 in the spring.

The other day I was riding with a buddy before the V & H upgrade and he pulled up next to me at a stoplight and asked me if the bike was running “ boy that hurt”. He said that was the quietest Harley he ever heard or did not hear, wait until he hears my bike now.

This is a great web site for receiving information. Everyone is very helpful.

It must be a Harley thing.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2006, 05:58 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser

Well I did it, could not wait for the roads to dry had to take a ride to check out the sound. Man this pipes sounds great and the best thing I think my low-end torque has increased, the bike is running great. Just can’t get over how the bike sounds AWESOME.

What a great investment.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

For some followup here I installed V&H slip-ons recently myself (though I didn't have the quiet baffles available at the time, so I've been running with the stock baffles in). I just brought the bike in for a rejet and it definately improved the sound of the pipes, plus it sounds a little less "choppy" when idling. However, when I was talking to the tech guy he said that running with the pipes without a rejet short term wasn't a big deal, but did seem to indicate that long term it could be an issue. I was already getting the rejet, so I don't think he was trying to do the hard sell when saying that.

I do have one interesting question here. I just got the baffles on Friday (one day late to have them in for the rejet). As with many things, there aren't quite instructions on what to do with them. My main question is about what to do with the fiberglass they are wrapped in. They have the fiberglass taped down around the baffles. Am I supposed to just unwrap the tape and get the baffles in as best I can with the fiberglass wrapped around them?

I'll be curious to hear the pipes with the baffles (I'm doing the reverse of what it sounds like helirider and bmkshort did). Part of the reason I didn't have the baffles originally is I that I just wasn't quite sure how loud it would be without them. I had thought it became REALLY loud after installing the slip-ons, but after hearing a few other motorcycles close up, and after getting used to them, I'm not sure they are as loud as I had thought. Now I just think they are really loud, not REALLY loud.

I do have to say that, when you can get around to affording it, the rejet has made a world of difference for me in terms of that first two minutes of riding. I used to have to nurse it into turns due to carb-fart/stalling risks, but it seems like I can get going much sooner after starting up without that stalling risk. Even starting up from lights after that first two minutes has improved a bit so I think the rejet was worth it.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 PM
guitarenigma
Cruiser

Same here. Once I have a little extra cash I'll probably go with the Kuryakyn Hi-5 air cleaner, a re-jet, and dyno. But it's fine for now. Got to hear the tech ride it out on the road test after my 1000mi. service; if you think it sounds good while you're on it, you should hear it the way others do!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 AM
XL4me
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

I do have one interesting question here. I just got the baffles on Friday (one day late to have them in for the rejet). As with many things, there aren't quite instructions on what to do with them. My main question is about what to do with the fiberglass they are wrapped in. They have the fiberglass taped down around the baffles. Am I supposed to just unwrap the tape and get the baffles in as best I can with the fiberglass wrapped around them?
Some people have said to just leave the tape on, some people have said take it off....(I'm not there yet...)

Actually, try posting this question in the
GENERAL - Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust section and see what people say
https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_266/tt.htm

Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Well, I took the tape off since it just seemed wrong to let it melt on there, plus I imagine it would make it more difficult to remove the baffles later if I wanted to switch back to the stock baffles on those. I had a little trouble with one of them not fitting well because the fiberglass was a bit too bulky so I did cut off just a little of it to make it a better fit. My biggest challenge was the fact that the front pipe baffle wouldn't come out unless I took off the front nut securing the rear muffler to the crossover pipe. Those stock baffles will be a bitch to get back in again without loosening up the pipe from the head.

The end result is that the exhaust is less loud and rich than it was with the stock baffles, but it's still an improvement over what I got with the stock mufflers. As near as I can tell it didn't affect the tuning from the rejet. I took a spin around the block and everything performed very well, so I should still be getting decent flow through the exhaust. The good news is that I can go back to taking rides at night, since I was worried that the loud pipes would annoy my neighbors if I fired things up at 11pm or so. I could walk it through the alley, but with the enricher out to warm up the bike, it was still pretty loud.

Quick Reply: Installed my V & H Slip-ons tonight WOW !!