Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next two mods: fork springs (or some front end upgrade) and fork brace

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next two mods: fork springs (or some front end upgrade) and fork brace

I improved the rear end with taller ohlins shocks. I was asking the guy at my indy shop how to improve the front end and he said progressive springs. I've heard others say just the oil, but the springs aren't that expensive so I figure what the hell, I'll do it right.

My question is, are progressive springs the way to go? Is there a better option? Will it change the ride height or should I change the height if I raised the rear? I'd rather not cuz I'm short.

The other thing I want to get on there is a fork brace. Others swear by them, but I'm not sure what they do, or who makes a good black one for my N. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:02 AM
faseljd
Novice

Get the Debrix fork brace, same as the Screamin Eagle but half the price. Helps the front end from grabbin the ridges in the road.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 AM
1200Hz
Advanced

I just had the progressive front fork springs put in a couple hundred miles ago. There is a very big difference in how the front end feels. The mush is gone, the nose doesn't dive, there's an actual suspension now when I use the front brake. Terrific 100 dollars spent on that upgrade.
1200Hz

Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 AM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I added both, the Progressive front springs and the Superbrace front fork brace, both at different times. I added the front springs and immediately the front end firmed up. It felt very mushy as stock to me, as did the rear stock shocks. I put the Superbrace on two weeks ago and just haven't had the chance to really put it to the test at high speeds to feel a noticeeable difference, I've only ran a few really short trips in town.

EDIT--forgot to mention, there are two different front spring kits from Progressive--make sure you get the right one, there's standard height and then the lowering kit.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

I also have the ohlins rear shocks . For the front end I went with works dual rate fork springs and the ricor intiminators a fork brace from superbrace and a daytona steering damper . Also run the metzler 880 tires.

Attached Thumbnails Next two mods: fork springs (or some front end upgrade) and fork brace-picture-221.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 AM
DaytonaSportster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first try 15w or 20w BelRay oil with your standard springs, If you think you still want better after that then get the progressives.
Stock oil is either 5 or 10. Screaming Eagle is 20w I do believe. BelRay is good stuff and cheaper than HD (High Dollar).
I put a set of progressive springs on mine to stop the dive when braking. It made a world of difference. My neighbor who has a sporty 8mths younger than mine does not seem to have the same dive issue, so for him I suggested to change the oil but he had not done it yet.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thicker oil really helps the stock forks.
You can also preload them with some washers to eliminate some sag.

I got the progressive springs on line for $88.00 and they seem to work well.
I did not really compare (don't remember) the thicker fork oil to the progressive springs, I just remember the thicker (15 weight) bel ray fork oil eliminated the constant crashing of the forks, which was so bad I thought something would break.

I would not go with the lowering springs, but if you want to lower the ride height a little, you can move the forks up in the triple clamps.
Stock my forks stuck 1/2 inch above the top clamp, they now have the cap nuts flush, to get more ground clearance.

I have the progressive springs and 10 weight oil in and have no complaints about the forks.

I think fork braces look ugly, and don't have any issues that would make me get one.

Brett

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
2003_vRod
Intermediate

I got the superbrace. I swear to it. I did some research like you, found same thing. People very 50/50 on them. I LOVE IT. They have a simulation thing on their website. Check it out. I mean you can't go wrong with one.

http://superbrace.com/

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the Progressive springs and Superbrace and am very happy with the results. 15 or 20 wt oil when you change the springs is helpful as well.
Put som aluminum foil on the brake rotors and wheels when you purge the old oil and if you don't have someone to hold the top nut of the fork tubes down with a hammer hammer you may want to get a palm ratchet.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

progressive springs...best 89 dollars spent. will not raise front end...as already mentioned, they do make them to "slam" lower the front end, pretty sure you dont want them if your looking for a better ride. your ohlins and some springs in the front will make it feel like a new bike

Quick Reply: Next two mods: fork springs (or some front end upgrade) and fork brace