Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, charging, or wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery, charging, or wiring?

2005 883L. Original battery, tendered during cold months. 21K miles. Check engine light comes on after engine start - goes off after 8 seconds. Comes on intermittently, seemingly at low RPM and idle - but not for long. But, recently, turned key and both turn signal annunciators came on - almost like the flashers were on. Started engine and after a few seconds, tachometer went to zero, then back valid again. Then back to zero, then back up to normal. Put a load on the system (I have passing lamps) and when I did, tachometer went to zero AND check engine light came on and red battery annunciator came on. Reduced the load, all was ok. Rode it home for 15 miles at highway speeds, all seems fine.

Anyone want to stab at this? or have similar failure?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Check your stored Diagnostic Codes and then come back with the info. If you don't know how, the instructions are at the top of this section.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

OK, I'm throwing a P0562 and P0563. Low voltage and high voltage. My meter shows the battery (engine not running) voltage after sitting for 24 hours at just shy of 13 VDC. Casual observance would say this is healthy although it is 5 years old.

So, the $140 question: Do I shotgun the voltage regulator? Based only on these codes, which obviously saw high and low voltage, can I assume the stator is healthy?

thanks cHarley.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member

First, I wouldn't ASSUME anything on a Harley..

Your high and low voltage codes would lead me to think it's a regulator issue more so than the stator. Put your volt meter across the battery + and ground with the bike running at various RPMs from idle to about 3000 and see what voltage you read. It should stay between 13.5 and 14.8 vdc. If it's going outside that range I'd say it's the regulator.

FYI: While some people get lucky, running a 5 yo battery is asking to get stuck on the side of the road when you least expect it. I'd recommend getting your battery load tested. Most auto parts stores will do it for free.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

roger, that. Next step it to measure the voltage with it running. ANother question: DOes the regulator require a good ground to the frame down tubes? Without looking at too closely, I see it sits on a bracket or two but I question whether the mounting bolts have accumulated crust, dirt, old road salt, etc that might affect the ground - if it needs a ground in this location. I see the battery ground is just behind the regulator at the block.

And I hear you on the battery thing - this is still on my things to do list from LAST SEASON.....bad motorcyclist, bad motorcyclist.....

Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member

YES, the regulator needs a good ground. HD's regulator is very "crude" in terms of electronic technology, as it sinks excess stator output to ground.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
TestFlyer
Tourer

Well, I did a sloppy oil change not long ago and the useless oil cooler is right in the way of the filter so to say changing the filter makes an oil mess is an understatement. Tow important grounds are in the this general vicinity - battery ground and I assume the regulator is gorunded here, too. More things to check.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A weak battery can allow the voltage to go all over the place, and at 5 years old, its due!
Car batteries are lucky to go 5 years (for a good one), bikes shake more then cars...

I would replace the battery first, since its not going to last much longer, and see what happens.

Brett

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

good plan. Go HD or aftermarket battery? Someone suggested YUASA but nobody local has the Sportster application in stock. $108 for the YUASA battery.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member

I like the newer HD batteries, they're a sealed, Gel cell type.

Quick Reply: Battery, charging, or wiring?