Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And I now have my first speeding ticket on the Sporty...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Daddy0509
The impact on your insurance will depend on the company you are with, the good news is the state of VA is only a 3 year state. Meaning, insurance companies can only surcharge you for three years as opposed to 5 like many other states are doing these days.
This is true about the insurance companies. but the actual ticket stays on your license for 5 years. ask me how I know. Some states only keep it on your record for 18 months

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here, its all a money making scam, you are supposed to talk to the people before court, they reduce to charge to something with no points, and you pay a fine, with no points, THEY get to keep all the money, if its points, they have to send some to the state, to dare, etc.

Its big business, they make a LOT of money off it, as the fines are huge.

In the past, I have been hit with 90 mph in a 25 zone, and got stacks of tickets enough to loose my licence many times, but it was not as expensive way back then as it is now.

I am much more cautious these days, cant afford to loose my licence, and I hate the idea of paying them huge amounts of money so they can buy more radar guns.

Its not only unmarked cars, but they can get you off duty is they see you doing something wild, they just have to get your tag number.

Brett

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM
inswva
Road Master

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I know that stretch very well. I live 1/4 mile off the Danville bypass. ALMOST got hammered the other day, just 'stretching' out the Sporty. Won't say how fast, lmao.

Good luck with the ticket, you never know what will happen in court.

I heard that reckless changed to 11 over in Va, I guess I heard wrong, huh? Hope so!
Randy, it's my understanding that 11 over will only get you a reckless if you are in a 70mph zone and doing 81mph. Anything over 80mph is an automatic reckless. 11 over in any other zone is not considered reckless since speeds will be under 80mph.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
Went for a little jaunt on Saturday between gaps in the rain, or so I thought (ended up getting dumped on near the end of the ride). I was wringing out the Sporty on Rt. 58 in Patrick County, VA. If anyone is familiar with the area, this road is a divided four lane and is typically devoid of all traffic save for a few cars here and there. I typically pass very few cars between Martinsville and Stuart.

I was winding down from a run up to 110mph when a state trooper passed me going the other direction. Of course, he was in an unmarked Impala so I didn't realize I was toast until he whipped a quick u-turn in the median and lit me up. He got me at 77mph in a 55mph zone... which is reckless driving in Virginia. Thankfully, he was fairly cool and cited me for 77mph in a 60mph zone. Still going to be an expensive ticket but at least it's not reckless. It's a damn good thing he didn't get me in the triple digits or I might still be sitting in a cell.

Lessons learned? I need to slow the **** down. I have no impulse control. Good thing I don't own a sport bike. Also, I despise late model Impalas.

Now I just need to figure out how to raise the cash to pay the ticket without my wife finding out!
The next time your insurance comes up for renewal, your wife will know. I know my wife, and that would be the worst way she could find out about something like that........but it's your cheese hanging in the wind, not mine.....

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, it's my understanding that 11 over will only get you a reckless if you are in a 70mph zone and doing 81mph. Anything over 80mph is an automatic reckless. 11 over in any other zone is not considered reckless since speeds will be under 80mph.

Thank you for clearing that up. It makes perfect sense as well.
I appreciate you taking the time to tell me.

RD

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
The next time your insurance comes up for renewal, your wife will know. I know my wife, and that would be the worst way she could find out about something like that........but it's your cheese hanging in the wind, not mine.....
I agree! Better fess up now. Why is it that you men have not figured out that the "hiding of the truth" usually makes us madder than whatever it is you were hiding in the first place!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
inswva
Road Master

Originally Posted by catlkn
I agree! Better fess up now. Why is it that you men have not figured out that the "hiding of the truth" usually makes us madder than whatever it is you were hiding in the first place!
I like delaying the inevitable, lol.

Yeah, guess I'll tell her and take my lumps now. I'll get to listen to the "I told you so" speech. She opined that the bike would end up getting me in trouble and I guess she was right!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always go to court.

I have a 100% clean record because I space may speeding escapades more than 90 days apart, so my record remains clean, and with a clean record, they'll generally give you a 90 day deferment.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like delaying the inevitable, lol.

Yeah, guess I'll tell her and take my lumps now. I'll get to listen to the "I told you so" speech. She opined that the bike would end up getting me in trouble and I guess she was right!
It didn't GET you in trouble, it listened to your twist of the throttle and took you where you wanted to go

If you really want to come clean, you'll tell her how fast you were going before you got caught.......but in my house that would bring on a whole other conversation, mostly about how I need to see the doctor, because my brain seems to have stopped working.

My suggestion: In the future, ride like someone cares that you show up at home at the end of the ride. You'll still have fun.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Ohio48
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got popped in Virginia last summer. Just 2 miles outside of N. Carolina!! I still owe, and I wont pay, or drive anymore in Virginia. Screw them.

Quick Reply: And I now have my first speeding ticket on the Sporty...