Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY spray painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 AM
dubll_r
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY spray painting

Wassup all,been doing all my own wrenching and all thanks to this great forum.my question is I been thinking of laying down some scallops on my tank with spray paint.For those who have done this can I just spray the tank or is there more to it?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you just going to lay down scallops on top of the stock paint, or do you plan on completely re-painting the tank and then adding scallops on top of the new paint? I would do the 2nd option, because it will look way better. If you are repainting the entire tank, I would get some sand paper and take it down to bare metal and then clean it really well with alcohol to make sure you get all the dust and dirt out of the metal's pores. Make sure you lay light colors before dark colors to keep the colors as close to their true shade as possible. For example if you want grey scallops with a black base, paint the tank grey and then tape off the scallops and then lay the black. Then I would suggest putting down some flat or matte clear on top to protect the new work.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
blackyck
Tourer

i used an airbrush for the scallops. finer spray and more detailed.
the rest is rattle can.
this is a 2010 iron. i sanded the black base to rough it up and went to town with some black mettallic rustolem. $2.99 a can. let it dry, mask, paint, mask paint, used a proper automotive clear coat at $15 each. put a ton of layers on. wet sand and buff. people trip out that its spray paint. these pics are not a good showing of it. this was my first time painting anything like this. take your time and wait between coats. if you f up you can always sand it down and start over!

Attached Thumbnails DIY spray painting-crw_8680.jpg   DIY spray painting-pic_7846.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind the first time you spill gas on it the paint will be ruined. I haven't found a spray can paint that will stand up to gas.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM
blackyck
Tourer

the clear coat i used i got from an auto paint supply shop. i have spilled some gas on it, but wiped it off quickly. it messed the sheen slightly, but i sanded it lightly and buffed it out and that fixed it.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted a bike for a buddy on the cheep. I used rattle cans for the paint then got good clear with hardener. You can dump gas on it and it will not run.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike07FLHTC
Keep in mind the first time you spill gas on it the paint will be ruined. I haven't found a spray can paint that will stand up to gas.
use this to clear it, it is a 2 stage clear in a can with self leveling... works awesome!!!!!! i use it all the time, hell i have shot paint out of the gun and used this to clear it!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
dubll_r
Advanced

Originally Posted by fox4
Are you just going to lay down scallops on top of the stock paint, or do you plan on completely re-painting the tank and then adding scallops on top of the new paint? I would do the 2nd option, because it will look way better. If you are repainting the entire tank, I would get some sand paper and take it down to bare metal and then clean it really well with alcohol to make sure you get all the dust and dirt out of the metal's pores. Make sure you lay light colors before dark colors to keep the colors as close to their true shade as possible. For example if you want grey scallops with a black base, paint the tank grey and then tape off the scallops and then lay the black. Then I would suggest putting down some flat or matte clear on top to protect the new work.
Originally Posted by blackyck
i used an airbrush for the scallops. finer spray and more detailed.
the rest is rattle can.
this is a 2010 iron. i sanded the black base to rough it up and went to town with some black mettallic rustolem. $2.99 a can. let it dry, mask, paint, mask paint, used a proper automotive clear coat at $15 each. put a ton of layers on. wet sand and buff. people trip out that its spray paint. these pics are not a good showing of it. this was my first time painting anything like this. take your time and wait between coats. if you f up you can always sand it down and start over!
Thanks for the advice I originally was thinking I would try on the denim to keep that black.But after reading and seeing blackyck finished product Im more hyped up to try and pull it off.I will def keep the forum posted,thnx again all

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry forgot the link to the 2 stage clear in a can
here it is
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

it is awesome awesome stuff i use it alot in the shop