Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My throttle is sticking and I don't know why!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My throttle is sticking and I don't know why!!

I thought I might need to lube my cables, so I did. While I had the switch housing or whatever its called, while I had the top off, it snapped back perfectly. Once I tightened the screws back down, it was sticking again. What could be causing the sticking? I cant leave the screws loose, something has to be causing the drag, right?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the thumb screw under the throttle grip. It should be loose.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

I meant to include that the thumb screw is as far out as it will go. I learned that lesson not long after I bought the bike in 06'

Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
RCFlyer571
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call toyota

Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts
Default Do you have a manual?

I am guessing here because it could be the cables, throttle grip, carb or throttle body if FI. If you have a service manual you need to back off the two cable adjustments and find what's binding. Then fix the real problem. It may be your idle cable (the one that pulls it back is adjusted out a little too much) It could just be a tight cable if over lubed and dirty. I personally think these cables are better left dry since too much lube along with dirt just sticks them up. I find it hard to believe you could wear one out without lube. If its FI the throttle flap could be all cruded up from all the oil Harleys ingest from the breather system and just needs to be wiped out around the butterfly with a clean lent free cloth sprayed with carb cleaner. If you do not have a manual you need to get a mechanic to fix it. Do some more checking, let me know what you find and I will attempt to help you out.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DHolliy (06-18-2017)
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
I thought I might need to lube my cables, so I did. While I had the switch housing or whatever its called, while I had the top off, it snapped back perfectly. Once I tightened the screws back down, it was sticking again. What could be causing the sticking? I cant leave the screws loose, something has to be causing the drag, right?
The only thing that changes when you tighten the clamp is the friction screw. Something is out of place. If you just took it apart to lube the cables then you put it together wrong.

Take it apart again and put it back together slowly.

Was it doing this before you took it apart?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
delane
Tourer

Originally Posted by rcflyer571
call toyota
lmao!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Grammaton
The only thing that changes when you tighten the clamp is the friction screw. Something is out of place. If you just took it apart to lube the cables then you put it together wrong.

Take it apart again and put it back together slowly.

Was it doing this before you took it apart?
It started doing it about a month ago. Before that, it hadn't been apart since August of 09'. So I dpn't think I could've put it together wrong. It's two screws. It's fine when apart, not fine when it's together. After further inspection, I think it could be the grips. they are the factory grips and they are to the "sticky" point. I'm thinking since its been so hot down here maybe its not sliding good. Ya think?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
It started doing it about a month ago. Before that, it hadn't been apart since August of 09'. So I dpn't think I could've put it together wrong. It's two screws. It's fine when apart, not fine when it's together. After further inspection, I think it could be the grips. they are the factory grips and they are to the "sticky" point. I'm thinking since its been so hot down here maybe its not sliding good. Ya think?
Take off the grip, tighten the clamp, and work the throttle from the carburetor/throttle body. See how if the cables move freely then.
There could be "gunk" between the sleeve and the bar or a burr on the grip itself, maybe. It's hard to say without looking at it.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
kelton3
Tourer

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Take off the grip, tighten the clamp, and work the throttle from the carburetor/throttle body. See how if the cables move freely then.
There could be "gunk" between the sleeve and the bar or a burr on the grip itself, maybe. It's hard to say without looking at it.
I would say it's grease and grim between the bar and grip. I took off my grip last year, cleaned it, what a difference, now it snaps back.

Quick Reply: My throttle is sticking and I don't know why!!