Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL1200S pinging using premium fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XL1200S pinging using premium fuel

I have a 03 Sportster Sport, and noticed that the engine pings under WOT from lower RPMs. If I hit the throttle around 2k RPM's, it will ping a few times until it reaches higher RPMs, then the pinging goes away. I am and always use premium fuel.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the pinging to stop? I know it's bad for the motor. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 PM
rentalguy1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine started this today, and while checking into it I found the front crossover port leaking. Then I read on here where another guy had that same issue, fixed the crossover and the problem went away. Mine cleared itself up after about 20 minutes of riding, which makes some sense, because the exhaust probably expanded with the heat and sealed the port.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the bike is stock, then rentalguy1 has a suggestion that you should check out. if you have done the pipes or sucker, then maybe not. you didnt give us the full info!!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
genespills
Stage III

I have been using Harley-Davidson's own brand OCTAIN BOOSTER additive in my premium fuel with impressive results. My dealer also sell "LHP" (liquid horsepower) OCTAIN BOOSTER additive which is as good or better than Harley-Davidson's. All premium fuel is not the same. Some has alcohol in it and some so called high octain fuel is less than 91. It'll say on the pump. The OCTAIN BOOSTER that you can carry in your tool bag or jacket pocket will improve the fuel you use and put a smile on your face. It really does make a difference, and it gives you a performance edge as well as smoother engine operation.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pinging is also resulting from running too lean/hot. Richen the mixture up a tad. and also going WOT from low RPMs in a higher gear can cause this. I usually drop a gear or too if I'm getting on it at speed.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rentalguy1
mine started this today, and while checking into it I found the front crossover port leaking. Then I read on here where another guy had that same issue, fixed the crossover and the problem went away. Mine cleared itself up after about 20 minutes of riding, which makes some sense, because the exhaust probably expanded with the heat and sealed the port.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but can you explain this a bit? Are you talking about the exhaust crossover? Do they typically leak? What seals it, an o-ring? Thanks for the info thus far.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 AM
rentalguy1
Banned

Yeah, talking about the crossover pipe that goes from between the front and rear slip ons. They have a wire mesh looking "gasket" in the slip on. I have no idea how they are supposed to seal anything, but that's what is used. I'm not sure if they typically leak, but from what little I've read it sounds like they are prone to it. It makes sense that if they are leaking, that it would lean the mixture up a bit, and cause some pinging and backfiring. It also makes some sense that those symptoms would go away after the exhaust heats up and swells. I'm going to loosen the clamps on mine a bit today and try to "re-seat" the mesh gaskets and see if that helps. FWIW, my gaskets are brand new, and came with the Rush slip ons that I installed a few weeks ago. I have only put a few miles on the bike because it seems like I'm either at the hospital visiting a friend, or attending someone's funeral for the last month...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

Just thought I would update this thread. The crossover pipe on my exhaust sytem is welded to each pipe. That said, I started using Lucas Oil Octane Booster, and the pinging has disappeared. Once in awhile I think I can hear a ping but it's not often and it may be something else making noise.

That said, is there a way to richen the fuel mixture without changing jets? If not, I can continue to run the octane booster as it has appeared to help but it would be nice to find a solution.

Last edited by Bedore; 09-05-2010 at 12:38 AM.