Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No bike for two months now thanks to my neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
BODYDROPED
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bike for two months now thanks to my neighbor

So me and my girl go out to go for a ride a few Sundays back I pull off the cover and notice my light is scratched to hell so I'm piseed but not gonna let it ruin my day get on the bike to leave antnd the handle bars wont turn to the right at all at this point I'm ready to kill the next person who walks by. My girl calms me down I call the police and get a report written up after the cop leaves about ywenty min later some guy walks up to me and says is that your bike i said yea he proceds to tell me that he hit my bike with his car earlier in the week and knocked it over. he said he didnt know whos bike it was yet his bussines card he gave me says accident p.i. so he could have found out whos it was or left a note but he didnt so two weeks pass finally get his insurance to look at it after i towed it to a harkey dealer myself estimate 4,500 dollars in damage insurance will only pay 3,600 dollars because they dont do paint in house and harley wants to replace the rear fender and tank but insurance is telling me to take it some were else and get it painted I explained to them i cant just take this to any paint shop nor will i its my right to take it were i want to and if replaceing over painting is how the dealership fixes it they need to pay them. Needless to say Im still fighting them on this issue to this day.
sorry for the book needed to get it off my chest.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

That stinks. Send insurance to the harley website where they tout their painting process and emphasize that they get the clear 5mm thick to protect the paint. Might not work, but at least it takes the argument away from this is what the dealer wants to do.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
AshMac
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the guy eventually came forward about knocking the bike over. Hope things get squared away and your riding again soon.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Its your choice on who fixes the bike. Leave it at the Dealer and let the insurance company deal with them. In fact they owe you some money for providing you with a a ride while yours is being fixed.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Really sucks but at least the guy was honest - not common today.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hope ya get everything squared away........neighbor did man up for it.......
just hope his insurance does too......

Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If anything maybe your ins will cover the difference and they can go after the other guy's ins co.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
vegasrock
Tourer

Holy crap. Please use some punctuation. That was hard to read. Anyways, that really sucks, but like the others said at least he fessed up. Are you comfortable doing any of the repairs so you can pocket some of the money?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Most insurance companies retain the right to have repairs done at the shop of their choosing, using the parts they choose (knockoffs or jobber stuff) and its been held up in the Courts as legally valid because they are the ones paying the bill. The other advice given is right, you may have to pay the difference and/or go after his insurance to make it up.
Sucks man, but at least you know who did it and you can go after some restitution.

Ride safe

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike is getting repaired after being hit by a aftermarket shop,
The adjuster knew Harley doesn't paint, but gave me the price harley
would give for the OEM painted parts.
OEM is the key word here with this idiot.
Say hey, I want a rental car for loss of use, and the OEM parts, or $25 per day for loss of use starting from the day of the accident.
See what he says on that one.be careful on telling your insurance company about the accident heard horror stories about cancellations, even it wasn't their fault.

Quick Reply: No bike for two months now thanks to my neighbor