Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
JeepGuy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the dealer closest to my house, a new 2011 Nightster with TTL a Sundowner seat and passenger pegs was $11,735 out the door. That was just to get an idea of price with zero haggling. I was planning on checking other dealers, but what are common accessories most people want pretty much right away that I should consider getting when I purchase? Since this is not exactly a well thought out and planned purchase (ie. I haven't been saving for one) I won't have much extra cash lying around.

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to afford two hobbies with expensive acronyms for names Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) AND HD ($100)

Last edited by JeepGuy; 07-29-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Originally Posted by JeepGuy
At the dealer closest to my house, a new 2011 Nightster with TTL a Sundowner seat and passenger pegs was $11,735 out the door. That was just to get an idea of price with zero haggling. I was planning on checking other dealers, but what are common accessories most people want pretty much right away that I should consider getting when I purchase? Since this is not exactly a well thought out and planned purchase (ie. I haven't been saving for one) I won't have much extra cash lying around.

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to afford two hobbies with expensive acronyms for names Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) AND HD ($100)
I would definitely get a seat, longer shocks, pipes, ac at the least. That could make a used one more attractive as at least the pipes/ac will be taken care of already. I test rode a stock N before I test rode the one I ended up buying used and frankly the stock one was awful compared to mine w/ upgrades. For me the seat/shocks upgrades are the most important by far, and if you want to do any 2-up riding even more so. I sold my stock bonneville to get the N, and on my second day hit a couple of average size bumps and it hurt so bad I went home and started looking at triumphs on craigslist again. longer aftermarket shocks, or many on here will swear by road king shocks, will make perhaps the most difference. I have the rallyrunner seat. I like it a lot, and my wife has a pretty small *** so it works for her, but the sundowner may be more comfy but may not look as good. I like the 48's looks, but that tank is too small and the forward controls will make bumps even more painful. These are just my observations and others may disagree.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
MokeyJoe
Cruiser

Start -mailing dealers. Let them know they are in a bidding war for your purchase & future needs. Two things will happen. 1. You will bet the best deal available. 2. You will see which dealerships are worth going to for your business. I live in Nashville & contacted all the dealers in TN, one in KY, one in GA, one in AL and another in MS. Bought my Iron in KY. I now consider it my "home dealership". Great folks & got a great deal as well.

You might just find that the local guy will beat his competitors.

Also, never pay for freight or dealer setup!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100%!
Its hard to enjoy riding some of the bikes with stock seat and suspension.

If you are not short, longer shocks make a world of difference.
Some people (light skinny ones maybe) can deal with the stock seats, not many passengers. My wife took one look at the stock seat and said 'no way!'

I think the bikes have enough power stock to have fun and get in trouble on, even the 883 bikes.

Power upgrades would be last in my book, I want comfort for all day rides, and ground clearance for fun in corners first.
Then I would want something to carry stuff in for trips to the store, I like to get a ride in at all times.
The wife demanded a sissy bar, and I strap stuff to that.

If you want something to look at, or to go to the bar on, the stock seat and shocks are fine.

Brett

Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there are still plenty of 09 nightster floating around in dealerships. My local dealer had some not a few months ago.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy just yet. There is a rumor floating around that HD is going to lower the MSRP of the Sportsters like they did on the VRODs.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

use searchtempest . com and you can search craigslist from closest to
farthest from you for low mileage used.

personally, i ended up with a 2009 demo w/1300 miles which already had the forwards and black diamond accessories installed had just had the 1000 mile performed also so nothing out of pocket for upgrades and since it was a demo no freight and setup charges involved, cost me $8762 out the door.
which i thought was a great deal from a dealership.

also most of them will offer a discount on your first purchase of accessories
mine was 20%

and if you do get a nightster/48/iron be prepared to swap out the shocks
not long after as the factory ones are HARSH!!!!

good luck with your search

Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the rumored MSRPs from a XL Forum post:

883L/N - $6500
1200N/L - $8000
1200X - $8,500
XR- $9,500

Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

You can get a used low mileage 883 for way under $5000.00 dollars *craigslist* if your patient. Everybody tries to sell the 1200 over the 883 but i'm 230 lbs and the wife 135 lbs and i can make it scream to 70+ mph in no time at all. I did install an aftermarket seat and shocks are in the future. You can always upgrade via kit ot the 1200 later if you desire but its not a real necessity. I personally don't care for the VROD look. Sportster is Harley Davidson in its most pure form. Happy Riding.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
JeepGuy
Stage IV

Terp, Any idea when those MSRP's are rumored to drop? A 2k drop in MSRP would sure push me over the edge.

Quick Reply: New purchase advice needed