Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013 | 02:32 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NOSNUM
          I'm saying the RISK is still there. There is NO NEED to ride a bike. It's much "safer" to be in a a car or truck than on 2 wheels. If there is NO NEED than why do it?
          It, riding motorcycles, is not as dangerous, risky, as you believe. It is much safer, then simply being in a car or truck, to stay home. Or to take a cab, since the driver is probably a better driver then most people. Or only ride in big heavy cages, especially not in old, smaller before they contained the latest safety features, cages.

No need? I rode a motorcycle for 3 years before being old enough for a license to drive a cage. And for years, amounting to decades, I didn't own a cage. I'm sorry that you see/feel such fear, but trust me, it is not always justified.

Why do you continue to post in a thread where you seem to have little knowledge of, or experience with, the subject?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
          Old 12-12-2013 | 03:51 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

Every racing organization I've ever head of requires a FF helmet. And it is done without question or protest.....

Old 12-12-2013 | 04:19 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          It, riding motorcycles, is not as dangerous, risky, as you believe. It is much safer, then simply being in a car or truck, to stay home. Or to take a cab, since the driver is probably a better driver then most people. Or only ride in big heavy cages, especially not in old, smaller before they contained the latest safety features, cages.

No need? I rode a motorcycle for 2 years before being old enough for a license to drive a cage. And for years, amounting to decades, I didn't own a cage. I'm sorry that you see/feel such fear, but trust me, it is not always justified.

Why do you continue to post in a thread where you seem to have little knowledge of, or experience with, the subject?

Ron

You clearly have no knowledge of what Necessity actually mean.

If you actual think riding a motorcycle is more "safe" than riding in a "cage", you are more ignorant than once thought.

Good for you rode rode before you had a license...so what, that proves nothing.

Again with this fear you think I have, HAHA I won't even bother with this ridiculous notion.

Old 12-12-2013 | 04:28 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          Every racing organization I've ever head of requires a FF helmet. And it is done without question or protest.....

And the KEYWORD iiiiissssssssss "RACING"
          Big difference from joy riding the highways. A counter to your statement would be, why don't motorists on the roadways wear helmets in there "cages" when every auto racing organization requires it and the racers do it without question??? Would love to hear your answer.

You probably think taking guns away from law abiding citizens will stop gun violence too.

When I race I do wear full face. (I am quite partial to Shoei). and no not on the Harley.

Old 12-12-2013 | 05:22 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

You clearly have no knowledge of what Necessity actually mean.

If you actual think riding a motorcycle is more "safe" than riding in a "cage", you are more ignorant than once thought.

Good for you rode rode before you had a license...so what, that proves nothing.

Again with this fear you think I have, HAHA I won't even bother with this ridiculous notion.
          I thought 'Necessity' means 'needed'. If that's what it means, there was a time when if I 'needed' to go somewhere, two wheels were my only option. Except for walking, a taxi/bus, hitchhiking, etc.. That was my reason for mentioning it. It proves that sometimes, and there are others, riding is a necessity.

I, nor anybody else, called you ignorant. Probably because calling people names is juvenile, and the last bastion of someone that is unable to formulate a lucid argument.

I don't think riding a motorcycle is more "safe" then riding in a "cage", it is just not as dangerous/risky as you seem to believe. Did you have a recent accident, or close call, that terrified you so much that it colored your perception? Or are you merely speculating/trolling.

Ron

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:54 PM
          Daether
          4th Gear

As said with everyone else, do what's safe for you. I took a spill awhile back on a 250 dirtbike, and had I not been wearing a FF and my leather jacket, I would have been in the hospital. I vowed I would never ride again without those two things. Good luck with your Iron, I just bought my 883 super low!

Old 12-12-2013 | 09:37 PM
          Homeward Bound
          Banned

And the KEYWORD iiiiissssssssss "RACING" ...
          I always thought 'the street' was more dangerous than racing. You tend not to have traffic coming the other way in racing or risk being t-boned at a junction ... the old "sorry, didn't see you, mate" accident.

What's also increased exponentially for us is 'city furniture' by which I mean iron pedestrian fences, bollards, sign posts, truck blocks, high kerbs and sort of other very hard and fixed objects which, if you do a lot of city riding, are dangerous. You can't just slide, and hit bales.

Taking about racing, accidents and fate ... the weirdest bike death I ever heard of happened on a then local track. Some guy went wide and slid off on a fast but clear corner. By no means a bad accident at all, the kind of thing one would expect to get up and walk away from.

He was dead but with no signs of trauma, breakages etc. Turns out he had had a pen in a chest pocket of his leathers and, as he had slid, it had puncture his chest and gone through his heart.

It makes you wonder about fate, karma and when the grim reaper wants to call you.

But having broken a tooth in a bicycle accident, and remembering spitting bits of it out, then having the root canal treatment afterwards ... I tell you, it's not something you want to invite. Thankfully I can still eat apples but it took may be 6 months before I could. You don't think of the simple pleasure you're trading off until they happen. Stuff insurance cannot make good.

Traffic cops here tend to ride with flip up "full" open face helmets like BMW pioneered. I wonder if they are a compromise for riding aware in cities ... there's no doubt I feel more aware in an open face ... and then work as full face on fast roads and accidents?

Trouble is, they tend not to be designed in a conservative manner but more in a high-tech space age manner. I think there's a disconnect between the people who design much of motorcycle wares and bikers. It's like they also design ski wear or computer games as well. It's gotten a lot better recently though, especially with all the 'retro' stuff.

Old 12-13-2013 | 01:16 AM
          rdunnill
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
          You don't get that choice. Hit your head with a hammer, then do it with a helmet. Do it 5 times in different spots with and without a helmet. Enough said.

Extremely rare circumstance, if even legitimate. That's like saying seatbelts can cause fatal internal injuries so you don't wear them.
          A professor of actuarial science pointed out that the costs of caring for injured motorcyclists increased after universal helmet laws were passed.

It's cheaper to bury people than keep them in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

Old 12-13-2013 | 02:57 AM
          jett14
          Tourer

Was once told by a "real" Harley guy ..."if ya got half a face wear half a helmet"
          I wear a halfie, but I don't care what others choose.....were all in this together.

Old 12-13-2013 | 12:58 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Homeward Bound
          I always thought 'the street' was more dangerous than racing. You tend not to have traffic coming the other way in racing or risk being t-boned at a junction ... the old "sorry, didn't see you, mate" accident.

Taking about racing, accidents and fate ... the weirdest bike death I ever heard of happened on a then local track. Some guy went wide and slid off on a fast but clear corner. By no means a bad accident at all, the kind of thing one would expect to get up and walk away from.
          The street is more dangerous then racing, at least that is what I told my mom. Then, after an accident while desert racing on my Suzuki, I spent 120 days in a hospital. Luckily(?) for me, the first 6 weeks I was comatose and had no idea what was happening.

And now, 38 years later, I am still handicapped by the effects of my accident. This is my reason for posting in helmet threads. To get the word out that a head injury, which can be a result of a minor incident in which a rider should be able to "get up and walk away from", can affect the rest of a person's life.

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?