Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013 | 08:45 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by beringer
          You talk some real crap, ive just read your posts and you really have no idea..I don't particularly like being told what to do by Authority but here in the UK im glad we have to wear Helmets by law..How can you make such a ridiculous and childish statement.Laughable......
          You sir are the donkey. Why should everyone have to do it because you think it's best? It is a law that shouldn't be there. But that is a whole other debate.

Old 12-11-2013 | 08:47 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by JaySwear
          I think he's just saying that riding is dangerous no matter what you're wearing. Which is very true.

I own both 3/4 and a full face. I find myself wanting to wear the full face more just because wind flow is decent, the field of view is very good, and the protection is better (even just from bugs).

And I don't feel even a tiny bit strange being on my Harley in a full face. I prefer it.

Absolutely what I am saying. Thank you for understanding. That statement has nothing to do with sensitivity either. Mearly a point made. If there is NO NEED than why do it. It's our choice thats why. To some one who thinks riding a motor cycle in the first place is stupid , we are all stupid for doing.

Old 12-11-2013 | 08:52 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          I understand that, and agree. I just don't understand why someone that displays such fear keeps posting about something he doesn't really seem to understand.

enlighten me on this showing of fear, please. I merely like the debate. I don't need to jump up and down like a monkey beat my chest, say my dick is bigger, I just like meaningful debate. You say a helmet is smart. I don't disagree. I say it is a matter of choice and risk that one is willing to except. like I've said over and over there is no NEED to ride a bike, so why do it? Because we enjoy it, that's why. Same reason I wear a cosmetic helmet. I enjoy it. Full face helmets are for sure "safer" when riding. I am not denying that fact nor have I in any post. I don't criticize anyone for wearing either, all I am getting across is the point of risk. We take them becuase we enjoy them.

Old 12-11-2013 | 11:05 PM
          oh_yeah
          Advanced

That's fine if you choose to put yourself at risk BUT the rest of us will have to pay when you're on life support !

Old 12-11-2013 | 11:40 PM
          Rob Robb
          Tourer

Man opened a can of worms with this question? I was going to read the tread but 96 pages of different opinions? I aint touching this one

Old 12-11-2013 | 11:56 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by oh_yeah
          That's fine if you choose to put yourself at risk BUT the rest of us will have to pay when you're on life support !
          Yes because not wearing a DOT approved helmet will get you put on life support and wearing a full face will not. Your statement is ridiculous, as you are narrow minded. You must be a liberal.

Old 12-12-2013 | 06:35 AM
          grbrown
          Club Member

I'm reminded of an argument I had many years ago when seat belts for cars were made compulsory in new cars. My adversary had recently rolled his car, the windshield had popped out while it was rolling and he was flung out through the hole it left, unharmed. He walked away and used that experience as a justification for arguing that seat belts were not necessary!

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:15 AM
          KJB
          Tourer

Originally Posted by Norms 427
          Right on!!!

I like the new "dual purpose" helmets:

1. Visor for shade (I've had facial skin cancer) (visor tilts down so wind doesn't lift the helmet)
          2. Chin protection (mouth and jaw surgeries are VERY expensive and complicated)
          3. Visor that lifts completely up or down or in-between
          Interesting. I'm not familiar with dual purpose helmets. Can you enlighten me or tell me where to research them? Thank you.

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:21 AM
          Homeward Bound
          Banned

Originally Posted by NOSNUM
          You must be a liberal.
          Oh, be careful, we're discussing helmets and you're not allowed to discuss politics here.

Of course, I understand that "liberal" is just the mother of all insults in some corners but it's still a political insult and that's not allowed ... so I am reminded by the moderators.

Meanwhile, back on topic, I suppose it would be possible to work out what proportion of injuries would be saved by full-faced helmets and, yes, even in commercially insured societies, to a certain percent, "the rest" end up paying for the few when it goes beyond the point of merely cutting into the profits of the 1% who make money out of insuring risk.

Clearly, those make money out of insuring risk have a lot more political clout and influence that the 99% who just insure it and hope for the best ... the best being that insurance companies will cover them and will pay up.

I, personally never understood why, if one individuals wanted to do something and another individual was willing to gamble on making money insuring them to do it, society would not allow it.

Clearly, much class, cultural and political bias (which we may not be allowed to discuss here) enter into equation as plenty of other batshit crazy and injurious activities are allowed.

I think most bikers would agree that punitive and uneven legislations are put in place against biking, often irrationally, by a jealously repressive minority.

I mean, if it was really about saving the most lives, they'd criminalise smoking or over-eating ... hand out $100 tickets for buying triple decker big Macs etc.

There are other unevenness in helmet regulations defining what is actually a safe and effective helmet all of which go immediately out of the window if the helmet doest not fit and is not worn properly. For example, old fashioned "pudding basin" helmets actually pass many tests offering adequate protection but fail overall because they lack temple protection. What proportion of accidents affect the temple area? The jaw remains the most vulnerable.

As to the future of helmets, it might be interesting ... see this headup display "robo-cop" helmet also here, or strapless rear access helmet design by Voztec.

Like many others I find helmets uncomfortable and irritating enough to interfere with my riding which I mitigated by (illegally!) customising the interior foam adding some and removing other areas with a Dremel. It made wearing one a *lot* more comfortable and stable.

I think there needs to be more attention making helmets fit heads rather than making heads fit helmets.

I don't like the style but I like the technology if it could be made to look more conservative.

Old 12-12-2013 | 01:52 PM
          1HDRIO
          Tourer

Originally Posted by KJB
          Interesting. I'm not familiar with dual purpose helmets. Can you enlighten me or tell me where to research them? Thank you.
          Shark Raw

Bell Rouge

Hows these dual purpose helms? I personally think they are bad-*** haha especially the bell rouge!

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?