Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013 | 03:32 PM
          parabellum_9x19
          Outstanding HDF Member

I don't give a **** what other people do or what they put on their heads.

I ride, every single time, in a full face, race jacket, boots, and gloves.

Doesn't matter if its 40f or 120f, I'm in my gear.

To me, getting on my bike without my gear would be like going onto the battlefield in street clothes. Just like I wouldn't willingly step onto a battlefield without kevlar and a weapon, I would not and do not get on my bike without my gear.

Just my perspective on things, for what its worth, I am against helmet laws.

Old 12-11-2013 | 03:53 PM
          beringer
          Cruiser

Originally Posted by NOSNUM
          And Lots of dead motorcyclists that wore full face masks would be alive if they didn't ride.
          You talk some real crap, ive just read your posts and you really have no idea..I don't particularly like being told what to do by Authority but here in the UK im glad we have to wear Helmets by law..How can you make such a ridiculous and childish statement.Laughable......

Old 12-11-2013 | 04:34 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

And Lots of dead motorcyclists that wore full face masks would be alive if they didn't ride.
          That would be relevant if the dead motorcyclists, of which you refer, were dead because they wore "full face masks". But since they died because of other reasons, probably not even because of a head injury, what is the meaning of your comment?

Why is it so important to post in this thread? You obviously have nothing constructive to offer.

Old 12-11-2013 | 05:54 PM
          JaySwear
          Road Captain

I think he's just saying that riding is dangerous no matter what you're wearing. Which is very true.

I own both 3/4 and a full face. I find myself wanting to wear the full face more just because wind flow is decent, the field of view is very good, and the protection is better (even just from bugs).

And I don't feel even a tiny bit strange being on my Harley in a full face. I prefer it.

Old 12-11-2013 | 06:22 PM
          Deuuuce
          Elite HDF Member

As for me. I'd rather be dead than living a parapalegic on machines cause my head was untouched but body crushed.
          You don't get that choice. Hit your head with a hammer, then do it with a helmet. Do it 5 times in different spots with and without a helmet. Enough said.

At the same time I dont want my neck snapped and my head OK because the helmet saved me from being cheese graited while the rest of my body doesnt work. .
          Extremely rare circumstance, if even legitimate. That's like saying seatbelts can cause fatal internal injuries so you don't wear them.

Old 12-11-2013 | 06:36 PM
          rjg883c
          Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JaySwear
          I think he's just saying that riding is dangerous no matter what you're wearing. Which is very true.
          I understand that, and agree. I just don't understand why someone that displays such fear keeps posting about something he doesn't really seem to understand.

Old 12-11-2013 | 06:59 PM
          UppercaseJC
          Road Warrior

I don't wear a DOT helmet. Its literally a piece of plastic on my head. But that's my choice. I'm no tool to whoever thinks that as well. If anyone doesnt like it, **** you. Same goes for wearing a full face. If thats what YOU want, then YOU do it. This notion of Harley riders do it this way is crap. If thats the case only fat old guys with beards would ride (No offense to the bigger older riders). Your bike, your life, your ride. FTW

I wear a helmet, but I don;t think there should be a law for it. Jerry Seinfeld sums it up best -

"There are many things you can point to as proof that the human is not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be that we needed to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing those activities but, instead, to come up with some sort of device to help us enjoy our head-cracking lifestyles. And even that didn't work because not enough people were wearing them so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even stupider, the idea behind the helmet law being to preserve a brain whose judgment is so poor, it does not even try to avoid the cracking of the head it's in."

Old 12-11-2013 | 07:01 PM
          UppercaseJC
          Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?

I wear a helmet, but I don;t think there should be a law for it. Jerry Seinfeld sums it up best -

"There are many things you can point to as proof that the human is not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be that we needed to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing those activities but, instead, to come up with some sort of device to help us enjoy our head-cracking lifestyles. And even that didn't work because not enough people were wearing them so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even stupider, the idea behind the helmet law being to preserve a brain whose judgment is so poor, it does not even try to avoid the cracking of the head it's in."

Old 12-11-2013 | 07:17 PM
          Homeward Bound
          Banned

Actually, what bothers me and mostly effect naive and inexperienced riders, is people who have a helmet on but don't wear it properly.

How often do you see some young women (mostly/on a scooter) wearing a helmet at the back of the head leaving the whole of their brow, where they are going to hit most, completely unprotected?

He might be but it was a little insensitive to make such a point to a father whose son had taken a very serious hit.

Time and place ...
          And I don't feel even a tiny bit strange being on my Harley in a full face. I prefer it.
          You just made me realise that when I had a sports bike I wore an open face and now on a Harley, I wear a full face ... I must just be contrary by nature!

Death would be too sweet, it's pain I don't really like; and even less the idea of being trapped inside an immobile body ... which in 9 cases out of 10, I guess would have little to do with helmets and more to do with unprotectable neck and back injuries.

When I was young I was strong and flexible and could take a fall. I'm pretty sure now if I fell, I'd twist and break and it's that which keeps me slowed down, not what's on or not on my head. I've watched a few videos of older guys falling on Youtube and, jeez, they fall hard.

I'd like the option to be able to, say, ride without one under 30 mph ... round to the shops or along some seaside road etc ... but, unfortunately, a very high percentage of accidents happen locally and at city speeds.

It is perfectly safe to ride without a helmet at all speeds ... as long as you don't have that accident. How much does society have to interfere in order to protect either it's own unlucky or idiot factor ... or it's own costs and services.

There definitely is a small element within bureaucracies and LE which take pleasure from spoiling others fun that they are not capable of ... but most of the argument comes down to financial costs. Certainly it did in the UK. Too many young people were having too many accidents which, due to free healthcare and a great National Health Service, the State caught the tab for. For no benefit to it.

However, even before that time, guys did wear voluntarily depending on the weather. A helmet was protection from the cold.

Two accident statistic stands out for me ... a) 48% of crashes between motorcycles and cars were the result of the car driver failing to look properly, and b) are 40 times more likely to be killed than car drivers. Solo accidents without involvement of other vehicles, account for only a very small proportion of total accidents ... therefore 'riding' is not the problem. The helmet is a defence position.

80% of motorcyclists killed as a result of road accidents suffer major head injuries. Helmets reduce the risk of fatal head injury by around 50%.

The Gladiator analogy is a good one. They used to say, "a despatch rider in London had the same life expectancy as a Spitfire pilot in WWII" ... doing little more than delivering artwork for ad agencies etc.

Old 12-11-2013 | 08:39 PM
          NOSNUM
          Advanced

Originally Posted by rjg883c
          That would be relevant if the dead motorcyclists, of which you refer, were dead because they wore "full face masks". But since they died because of other reasons, probably not even because of a head injury, what is the meaning of your comment?

Why is it so important to post in this thread? You obviously have nothing constructive to offer.
          No it really wouldn't. I'm saying the RISK is still there. There is NO NEED to ride a bike. It's much "safer" to be in a a car or truck than on 2 wheels. If there is NO NEED than why do it?

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?